It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:17 pm

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:26 am 

72bajaben brought up a good point in his last post about certain tools he carries with him offroad. So I was just wondering. What tools and or parts do you carry with you on the buggy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:02 pm 

This is what i carry. and what i know i should carry.

What i carry
- Come-Along
- Folding Shovel (a good one from the Marine Corps)
- Tool box with a typical set of tools along with some special ones for the VW
- such as 12pt 8mm socket for removing CV joints, transaxle driain plug socket and such.
- 5 gal fuel can, which is empty right now, usually it is full
- Air pump that works off cig lighter socket
- Spare Oil
- Spare Spark Plugs
- CB Radio
- Spare Antenna (CB)
- Spare Tire (Carried in the roof Rack)
- Spare Wire (for quick fixes)
- First Aid Kit
- Fire extinguisher

Things that i should carry (and im going to from now on)
- Tree Saw
- Machete
- Heavy Duty Tow Strap
- Winch (Probably 2500 lb that i can put in the receiver that im going to weld on the front and back)
- Compass (will goto a GPS when i get the spare money)
- Hi-Lift Jack
- And im sure the list will go on and on lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:25 pm 
Hill Climber

I carry an axe. Everyone should have a tow strap. There is so much you can carry but I don't have room for it all. I try to keep a good supply of bolts, brake line repair kit and all the tools I need to do about any repair I need. I figure that if the guy with the winch pulls me off a hill I'll return the favor when he cuts a brake line. I focus on hillclimbing so I don't carry more than I need. When I see someone who is prepared for anything,I think that guy has a true woodsbuggy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 pm 
BOTM Winner

out of all the tools i carry, my winch has been the most useful for the type of riding that i do in wellsville. i've been out by my self (and a passenger) on a sunday, exploring trails that i really should'nt go on without another buggy. i decided to follow an old overgrown trail in the woods that was cut out of the side of a steep hill. pushing trees down with the tree bars as i go, i come around the hill and the trail just ends. cant go left because it drops off straight into some serious sh**. cant go right, to many trees and to loose to get any traction. cant backup, more trees (to many to cut down with the tree saw) using the winch and a snatch block i was able to lift the front end up and move it 180deg.along with rocking the buggy. now i was headed in the direction that i came and was able to use the tree bars to push the trees out of the way.(dont try that in reverse it will get costly) this is just one situation out of many that i have been in. i'm using the warn 4.0 atv winch it works well, its light weight and compact, 4000lb single line cap. which is more than enough for a buggy. i'm a bit heavy at 1975lbs. and it works fine. if you buy one.....dont buy CHEAP CRAP its not worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:11 am 

speaking of winches...anyone use a T-Max, they sell them at Jegs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:39 pm 

This may sound like alot but the more ya have the less ya need. wrenches-screw drivers-socketset-old rag [use as a catchall]-oil-sparkplugs-feelergauges-extra rotor button-knife-punchset-ballpinhammer-extra fuel filter-spring asortment-extra nut/bolts-electrical connectors-black tape-tie wire- zip ties-big cresent-alt. belts-thottle cable- clutch cable-alt. shims-cvs axle- axle bolts-come along 25 ft cable- 25 ft jerk strap- clevus-lighter-flashlight and pro. a few things I'm forgeting but the more ya take the less ya need. :D

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk