It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:30 pm

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:34 pm 

I'm going to take the time and break this down for everyone.

If you don't feel like reading my long post here is a quick summary.

If you had a built ac then it won't be as expensive because you will have already built your trans more then likely.

Going from frame to running buggy is expensive.

In my case I traded an 01 raptor 660 and an 89 fourtrax. So I only had $2200 in a 5 rib 1835.

Unfortunately I lost my rings and nearly trashed the whole motor doing it.

So instead of rebuilding it to a 1935 or bigger I decided this would be a perfect time for an ecotec swap.

Boy did I not know what I was in for.

I'm buying a 2.4 from phils bug shop in ky

Which runs at most $2700 it's a little more for me because I needed part of my rear cage fabbed up. And pedals.

That's not to bad considering you get your radiater, fuel pump, harness cut all the labor done mounts installed ecu flashed and various other things I'm sure I'm forgetting

Now what does get expensive is your transmission. Good lord the trans is brutal on costs. If I had 2k more dollars I could have bought a mendola trans.

I couldn't use my 5 rib because it wasn't strong enough to hold a eco even if I built it.

So..

6 rib. $600
weddle first and second gears. - $850
German superdiff. - $400
Reverse gear. - $60 (not necessary but why not if you are buying a used trans I wouldn't wanna lose reverse in my just put back together rig)
Torsional input shaft. - $170 (another controversial part but the r&d looks promising and I want this trans to have all the best parts I can get. "Buy once cry once")
930 kit. 800 from phils 900 if you want German axles.

2980 is my total for my trans. That's some crazy stuff!

More then my whOle motor and everything it needs!

So basically if you already have a good trans. There won't be much more money to spend on the swap.

But if you have to build one from scratch like I did your looking at about 5000 total.
But hopefully it will be worth it in the long run. I have faith. Lol. 8) :o

lord forgive me for I have sinned,
I hit a 3rd gear jump, 4th gear pinned!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:24 pm 
WB Contributor

OK. You caught me on a good day. Everybody hates the Passat. Here we go again.The bastard is dangerous but is not a one seater cliff climber. For $5k I built it trailer and all. FWD motor turned longways with 5 speed trans going into a aluminuim irs diff with 930 joints. They say it sounds like a Indy car going thru the woods. $5/ day 93 pump gas and efficient fuel injection beats $40/day racing fuel in decked out A/C. If I had spiked tires it would rule the day. There are no Weedle parts or trans, Kennedy Krap ,IMS starter, Oil cooler or filter, 4 spyder diff etc, etc etc to buy. I have NEVER broke any drivetrain. The 5 speed fwd trans and clutch are out of the junk yard in 08. 1997 fuel injectors are crisp vs pull over and play woobow with dual carbs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:24 am 
BOTM Winner

Joe 1, I think you will be real happy with your decision once you hit the trails. That 5K will become transparent as if it never was spent lol. :mrgreen: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:50 pm 

Yes hopefully I can get her back on the trails in less then 2 weeks. I think my first ride will be at wildcat. Or maybe even brimstone if I'm feeling froggy

Also edit to original post I forgot to add in the pressure plate and clutch which are about 200. For a stage 2 4 puck and 2200 pound pp.

Agreed hopefully this startup cost & gas will be the only expenses for a while.

If anyone wants to add me on Facebook my full name is Joseph lonaker and I got a pic of a buggy as my profile so you know.

Thanks for all the info and help you guys have gave me.

Also shout out to Eric Deward for building my transmission for me. Seems like a very reasonable guy who has been in the business for a while. Also he is right down the road from phills bug shop so you can get your motor and trans done in one place.

I'll be posting more as the build and expenses go on. I'm pretty excited and wait to get the ball rolling! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:04 pm 
WB Contributor

Mike, I had forgotten how much I enjoy your expertise, your sarcasm, and quick wit. I have enjoyed the progression of the purist to the 21 century. I still love th sound of VW sawing on a hill but Mike and Terry have proved that water cooled can climb and out run the AC guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:40 pm 

Well my truck decided it no longer need e d brakes today. And blew amother rear brake line... so now running solely on front brakes and towing my frame to phils offroad tomorrow. .... :x

And then I get a call saying my pinion in my recently purchased 6 rib was trashed so now I'm buying another 6 rib and putting my build behind another couple days... seems like everytime I start getting things lined up something comes along to make waves lol.

I don't care as long as it's ready by July 4th.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:34 pm 

Also i figured I would do another breakdown on new prices.

6 rib - 750
930 kit with German axles. - 900
ecotec adapter fuel pump air filter rear cage ecu cut reflashe'd etc. 2700
Kenedy stage 2 4 puck clutch
and pp. - 180
Weddle first and second - 850
reverse gear. - 60
superdiff. - 400
Torsion input shaft. 180.
Labor for trans 150.

Total comes out to 6170
with the cost of the buggy it's 7770 grand total in have in everything so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:32 pm 

This is why I don't use the VW transaxle. Making it cope with lots of torque is more expensive than trying to get horsepower out of the A/C motor, and that's a wallet raping experience in itself.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:58 pm 

Phillip
What would it take to get the UN5 setup you have in the states? I think it's UN5 if I remember correctly.

I agree about the wallet raping.....I'm all ears if there is a good trans and motor combination that is inexpensive, powerful, and durable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:20 am 

I agree about the wallet raping.....I'm all ears if there is a good trans and motor combination that is inexpensive, powerful, and durable.[/quote]

X2 even though I already bought my 6 rib and all the goodies. :?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:24 am 

riverar321 wrote:
Phillip
What would it take to get the UN5 setup you have in the states? I think it's UN5 if I remember correctly.

I agree about the wallet raping.....I'm all ears if there is a good trans and motor combination that is inexpensive, powerful, and durable.

They're a bit more expensive over here than they used to be, 'cause a load of Ozzies came over with a van and bought every one they could find for their buggies :lol:
So the main issue now, is finding them, whereas most commercial breakers places had a couple in before.
However, you can still pick them up for £150-200, I paid £50 for the current one it's running.
Shipping would be almost as much again, but you'd still get one over for 500-700 dollars easily I'd think.

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk