It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 am

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:41 am 

Hey guys hows it going. New guy here that has found your Frickin awesome site. Poking around stumbled on "trash talk' jokes and WTF pictures. My buddy and I had a good laugh when we should have been workin on car. You guys have some amazing cars and fabricators lots of eye candy. Little about myself and car. live in southern Alberta Canada. It can be pretty redneck here. Have built a redneck Baja bug for toolin around the local eastern slopes of the rocky mountains while camping. I mostly tow it out behind my 76 GMC classic hot rod motorhome then explore the trails and mountains. it is street legal {barely} so I can go get beer steaks and ice without packing up camp. Kinda a redneck grocery getter.

Any ways so what I got going on is i got tired of cheapo latest rage 1:1 rack and sloppy steering u joints. Now have a Saco 1.5:1 rack Got a electric power steering servo out of a Saturn vue from scrap yard and ordered the potentiometer from that guy of ebay. How are you guys coupling the steering wheel side of the motor? Cut the splines off of the oem steering wheel side then sliding a tube over and bolting or pinning it .What have you done? All help will be appreciated thank you in advance folks here is some vids of car

Last edited by terryly on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:47 am 

AW shit that didn't work will try again my vids are at youyube under Terry Lytle if ya want to have a peek https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... uLI6XY#t=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... oFqju2lQ6Y

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:31 pm 

That's basically what I did. I just slip shaft over the spines Tack welded and pinned it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:23 pm 

Hey welcome to the site thats a cool ride I love the northern rockies flat out the most beautiful part of the world hands down and as for the steering yes slip it over weld it you'll love it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:29 am 

Wow!! That baha bug brought back alot of old memories !!!! My brother had seversl of those that I would hi jack and go ridin while he was at work!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:07 pm 
WB Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:39 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I just slid the hex over the splines and welded it on.

You can see it here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:53 am 

Hey thanks for the tips and compliments fella's. Got my front cage and beam cut off. Fixed what I fucked up :oops: went with 7* castor this time. Got all parts for steering saco rack ,sweet u joints ,sweet wheel disconnect ,shafts ,electric motor,tilt steering wheel mount. missing potentiometer from that guy off ebay. does any body have the instructions for divorcing the control box from the steering motor? Things are a little tight under the dash.Thanks man Here is some pics of tow rig,camping and playing

Terry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:12 am 

Oh yea and a big thanks to hillaholic he is the man I got this power steering idea from Ok more pics I love this thing "the most fun you can have with your boots on"
ImageImage
That is the reason I need a covered buggy HAHAHA
Terry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:21 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

The guy from ebay said you can only move it 1 meter. Here's all the stuff he emailed me. It was in pdf so not sure if it's in the correct order.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:14 am 

Thanks hillaholic that's enough instructions to get to work this weekend. HMMM just cut the wires and extend them hu?? sounds like what any good ol boy would do. Sorry bout those last posts all pushed off to the side,too big of pics and stuff. Don't know how I managed that and cant seem to edit them. Oh well hillaholic deciphered my question and came through. Thanks again
Terry

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk