It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 am

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:30 pm 

Hi guys im a dirtbike fan i have a 150sx 2013 ktm ride around 100-125 hours a year im in canada we dont have a long summer.

I want a buggy to go through mud and have fun drifting and hill climbs i want something powerful to scare me.

I saw these ads on the samba

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1706274
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1695324
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1695247
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1665228

I really like one seaters not wide with big tires but would it be more fun two people?

Budget around 2-5k im 17 :)

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:41 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Here are my thoughts on the cars...
This car looks like a typical sand car and most likely has a very thin walled frame. This will not work off road at all. The frame will bend in half.

This one looks interesting but I would have concerns about running a 2180 motor on a swing axle transmission. For $6000, I would expect something with a stoker motor and a 6 rib trans.

I have no idea what to think of this one. It is too difficult to tell from the pictures. It is a pretty cool looking buggy but lots of unknowns.

This is my favorite of all the choices and I think that $2200 is a great price for a starter buggy that runs. You can upgrade the engine, transmission and suspension over time. This is a good foundation for a buggy.

Another option to consider is to check craigslist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:07 pm 

MickeyMouse wrote:
Here are my thoughts on the cars...
This car looks like a typical sand car and most likely has a very thin walled frame. This will not work off road at all. The frame will bend in half.

This one looks interesting but I would have concerns about running a 2180 motor on a swing axle transmission. For $6000, I would expect something with a stoker motor and a 6 rib trans.

I have no idea what to think of this one. It is too difficult to tell from the pictures. It is a pretty cool looking buggy but lots of unknowns.

This is my favorite of all the choices and I think that $2200 is a great price for a starter buggy that runs. You can upgrade the engine, transmission and suspension over time. This is a good foundation for a buggy.

Another option to consider is to check craigslist

thanks to be honest i love the look of the cobra, the last one the red one i find its alright its just the 1600cc that is concerning me im scared for it to under powered, i don't know how much powerful those engines are and what they compare to. something mean and loud with more than enough power would be great

i was thinking of a single seater not wide buggy with very wide tractor tires:)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:13 pm 

what are you thoughts on this one? its a two seater though.

http://woodsbuggy.com/forum/buggies-4-sale/17398Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:39 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

TheOriginalOne wrote:

thanks to be honest i love the look of the cobra, the last one the red one i find its alright its just the 1600cc that is concerning me im scared for it to under powered, i don't know how much powerful those engines are and what they compare to. something mean and loud with more than enough power would be great

i was thinking of a single seater not wide buggy with very wide tractor tires:)

I think you will be surprised how fast a 1600 will go. You can always upgrade the engine and trans later. The bigger the engine, the bigger the budget and bigger the problems. If you are not an expert at tuning and building engines, I would start with a 1600.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:49 pm 

TheOriginalOne wrote:

Nribuggys on here use to own that buggy it's a well built buggy it will hold up to any type of riding and hill climbing but he sold it without the motor so I'm not sure how good the motor is ? I have seen it climb a lot of bad hills. Good luck and welcome to the site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:13 am 

I'm sure it's a lil far from Canada lol. But we can just say it's been put threw the test. As far as the other Buggys. I've seen them all on the samba and that cobra buggy may be a turd but it's looks BADASS. But with no motor or trans that could be expensive depending on what u want. 2500 and the right trans I'm sure it will give ya the "SHAKES"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:06 am 

jeff69 wrote:
TheOriginalOne wrote:

Nribuggys on here use to own that buggy it's a well built buggy it will hold up to any type of riding and hill climbing but he sold it without the motor so I'm not sure how good the motor is ? I have seen it climb a lot of bad hills. Good luck and welcome to the site

thanks guys for all the responses!

on the post the guy made he sayed its a 1835cc, i dont necessarily want something fast like around 70mph but with alot of torque at low speeds that would make the wheels spin. and hes 20 hrs away from where i am so its a little drive ;)

thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:19 am 

what type of engine do you think these guys have?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hkMMTqTcQ8

thanks

Last edited by TheOriginalOne on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:54 am 

Anywhere from 1915-2500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:23 pm 

Can't go wrong with a watercooled fuel injected buggy (ecotech, suby) if u don't have a lot of experience with carbs and motor building it may be a better route. A stock chevy cobalt or cavy 2.2 will have way more power than most mild VW's and its stock, if it blows you can replace one for 200 to 400 bucks a vw with that much power takes a lot of money and nohow to build and maintain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 pm 

Cush53 wrote:
Can't go wrong with a watercooled fuel injected buggy (ecotech, suby) if u don't have a lot of experience with carbs and motor building it may be a better route. A stock chevy cobalt or cavy 2.2 will have way more power than most mild VW's and its stock, if it blows you can replace one for 200 to 400 bucks a vw with that much power takes a lot of money and nohow to build and maintain.

yea i was thinking about those, i will have a look and see if i can find some good deals. i have experience with 2 stroke carbs but not 4 stroke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:48 pm 

Just try to stay away from car trans, look for buggy's with bus trans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:18 pm 

I would say ditto to TheOriginalOne but I'm a lot bigger fan of 2 seaters, it's nice getting to ride with a friend also they can be very helpful when you get stuck . I'd only do a single seater if I'm doing hard core racing or hill climbing , just my thoughts

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:47 pm 

Cush53 wrote:
Just try to stay away from car trans, look for buggy's with bus trans

ok, where do you guys ride with these? sand pits and trails? im just scared of buying it and get bored of it or for it to be not powerfull enough what does it compare to? a civic? like when your Wide Open Throttle
the part i love about it is customizing it and making it nice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:49 pm 

For me it's not just riding it , don't get me wrong it's fun as shit !!! But I'm a gear head so I always have to have something to work on and tinker with and dune buggy works great (mainly cuz I keep breaking it )
Mine is street legal so sometimes I just cruse around , sometimes I hit the trails , some people run them on drag strips , you can race them , jump em , climb em , even mud em , up here in NW Oklahoma there is a big sand park "little Sahara"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:07 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Most of the buggies on this site are made for trail riding and hillclimbing. They are much stronger and significantly heavier then sand buggies. Do not get me wrong, a Woodsbuggy will go in the sand but they are a little heavy to play in the dune's.

Please do not take a sand buggy in the woods. The rough terrain will bend the frame in half and you will most likely die if you ever roll the buggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:40 pm 

ok thanks that convinced me because its true that working on them is just as fun as driving. for the power what does it compare to? like a car a small 4cyl civic? wide open throttle?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:09 pm 

TheOriginalOne wrote:
ok thanks that convinced me because its true that working on them is just as fun as driving. for the power what does it compare to? like a car a small 4cyl civic? wide open throttle?

Depends on HP and weight but I would say most are more like a V8 car...... Camaro or Mustang

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."--Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:16 pm 

Psycho Alpha wrote:
TheOriginalOne wrote:

Depends on HP and weight but I would say most are more like a V8 car...... Camaro or Mustang

alright thats great because i saw a vid of a guy with a vw 1600cc and it was really slow.

thanks a lot for all the answers guys! its almost winter here so i will take my time and buy one in around 1-2 months and post pictures!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:26 pm 

Honestly it depends on what you like and know , I have friends running vw non turbo motors running 12s in the 1/4 mile , right now I have a friend running a Ford 2.3 pushing 550 to the ground . I'm a huge fan of the Ford 2.3 turbo for several reasons
There is a lot of information on them
Tons of places to get aftermarket parts
You can make huge hp out of them up to 1000hp (with the right $$$ of course )
Very dependable motors
Cheap to start , you can pull one out of an old thunderbird with wire harness and everything you need to make run for around 500 bucks
Gas millage is good, in some cases up to 40 mpg ( when ur foot isn't stuck to the floor of course )
Turbo means it runs like a top in any climate or temperature
I'm not a huge fan of the v8s they are heavy so u have to add more supports which equals more weight on top of the heavy motor , and they take up more space plus gas millage is always shit , pus Need bigger suspension ... but of course it's always each to their own I'm not trying to talk shit on anyone just giving my 2 cents .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:34 pm 

My engine tips the scales at 120lbs :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:26 pm 

Cpt.Matt wrote:
Honestly it depends on what you like and know , I have friends running vw non turbo motors running 12s in the 1/4 mile , right now I have a friend running a Ford 2.3 pushing 550 to the ground . I'm a huge fan of the Ford 2.3 turbo for several reasons
There is a lot of information on them
Tons of places to get aftermarket parts
You can make huge hp out of them up to 1000hp (with the right $$$ of course )
Very dependable motors
Cheap to start , you can pull one out of an old thunderbird with wire harness and everything you need to make run for around 500 bucks
Gas millage is good, in some cases up to 40 mpg ( when ur foot isn't stuck to the floor of course )
Turbo means it runs like a top in any climate or temperature
I'm not a huge fan of the v8s they are heavy so u have to add more supports which equals more weight on top of the heavy motor , and they take up more space plus gas millage is always shit , pus Need bigger suspension ... but of course it's always each to their own I'm not trying to talk shit on anyone just giving my 2 cents .

i would love one, im debating wether i should buy one like this http://woodsbuggy.com/forum/buggies-4-s ... 11#p159311

already set up buy and drive for a total of 5k

or but a roller and then add engine and trans. but i have no experience what so ever. i would like a 2.3 turbo that would be insane. im in canada montreal, every good deal are like 40hrs drive away which is alot of $$ for transport.

which one is cheaper? i guess already all build or buy roller and add engine and wires ect.?

thanks this is good information

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:40 pm 

If you don't have a decent amount of skill fabricating and knowledge on how and what to build, it can be easy to get burned out on trying to build one. It may be better to buy one running. Then as you see and read what other people have or are doing, you can upgrade while enjoying your riding. Upgrading never ends.....there is always new ideas and products.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:57 pm 

I would defiantly suggest buying a already running one ! And modifying it as you go . I like the one you linked it looks like a pretty good deal. Most the time it's a lot cheaper to buy one with parts on it as you will find parts are higher than giraffe p*ssy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk