It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 am

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kids mini buggy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:39 am 

I'm in the process of building a full suspened go kart for my step daughter just looking for some insight or thoughts from anyone who has done this before. It's a live axle in rear with 6.5 hp. And 300ex honda a arms up front

Just that guy

Post subject: Re: Kids mini buggy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:24 pm 
WB Contributor

I'm thinking the front suspension will be so stiff that it will bounce like a basketball after a small bump. Bouncing tires do not steer well. Low air pressure big tires will rob power. When I was a kid, a dad in the neighborhood sat in the seat behind his daughter on a go-cart and they hit a parked car and his body crushed her against the steering wheel and killed her out rite. Sorry. I just hate anything with out a cage or seat belts. I ain't worried so much for my safety. It's other's. Get an ol cheap beater 4x4 4 door truck and keep your family warm and safe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:49 am 

Oh this has a full cage I ain't chancing hurting them I thought about running smaller shocks up front I got a bunch of 70s dirt bike parts plus this for a 6 year old so it won't go to fast yet

Just that guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:28 am 
WB Contributor

Go to a local USC Direct office and get their catalog. They do not handle cash, so order everything to your door. Any bushing, shaft, rod, bearing, sprocket, chain, clamp, bracket, hinge, tool you can imagine and fab every thing to your exact needs. I have built junk out of junk and ended up with junk until I got this 20 lb book with 10k pages. Motion Industries is good also. A good fab man has had to make a dozen failures b4 he succeeds. Surround yourself with other good fabsmen lol. Some sh!Ttalkers will send you in the wrong direction. I learned everything I know the hard way. I did not find experienced people and blew time and money on wrong directions. A perfect example...I'd blow up a wheel bearing on my baby chains every 4 rides. And have to be winched out of valleys. Finally I asked a real chain drive guy if they ran stock bearings in their Vanogon bearing housings. He said to use tapered bearings, so I fabbed an inside wall in the housing and got metric roller tapered bearings from USC and the dynamic load for the pair went from 25k pounds to over 105k lbs. BOOM! Solved! Take the box blade off your dad's riding lawn mower with an 18 hp Briggs and Stratton and boom. You have a go-cart.lol . But top heavy! Put her seat in the floor and remove the engine cowling I guess.lol Just rambling. Retired folks get bored sometimes. lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:38 pm 

We'll I'm def no expert fabsman even no that's what I do for a living but have access to a machine shop would make my world a lot better I'm working with a grinder. Drill press and stick welder at home so close tolerces are out the window but I will look into this catalog. I just know she's excited to ride it so that keeps me motivated to get it done

Just that guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:25 pm 

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413329134.836158.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413329134.836158.jpg [ 357.92 KiB | Viewed 3457 times ]
finally getting somewhere

Just that guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

That looks awesome but it might get heavy with that big of a frame

Can not wait to see the progress..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:15 pm 

That looks great. Very good job. My girls want it already just from seeing the picture. It looks likr a good mini for a 12 or 15 hp engine with a big sprocket on the axle . I know i would go with a way to steer it that would be easy and wont rip the wheel out of her hands. My girls on theres were focusing more on trying to steer it more than anything which made it dangerious. The stock go kart steering is junk. Im sure you already no that but i couldnt tell what steering you are using. Again great job!! Love it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:02 pm 

Thanks I no she is excited to ride it I ordered a cheap rack and pinion and I'm not to sure how the gearing will work on this setup with the 6.5 hp I kinda wished It had a diff in it so I could put a cutting brake In it.

Just that guy

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk