It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:55 pm

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Needs tuning around BHM
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:06 pm 

Guys, I have a stock dp 1600cc engine that needs tuning. It has a empi 40mm carb that has been cleaned and still runs like crap. I will be glad to bring some cash and beer. I have a trailer to move it around or if you are close to my house, feel free to drop by (zip 35133). My cell is 205-sixotwo-1950. Thanks, Gio

P.s. I have tons of parts to trade for the service too, from used/new alternators/generators/starters, doghouses, stock carbs, progressive carb, towing bars, heads, stock muffler, brake parts, tractor tires/wheels, etc etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:17 pm 

Passat2800 is close to you at Birmingham . Hadn't heard from you in a while. Dirtdobber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:10 pm 

Hey dude, how are you doing? You still making your rounds around malfunction junction? :-)

I hope Passat will chime in, been meaning to see his toys anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:40 pm 
WB Contributor

That 40 would be hard to run on a 1600. Also, to lite off fuel, you better have good compression and plugs. Incomplete fuel burning loads up the plugs and they just get worse. I guess, start with spark plug color then comp. check, then timing , good spark, bad wires, intake leak , yada.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:48 am 

2800passat wrote:
That 40 would be hard to run on a 1600. Also, to lite off fuel, you better have good compression and plugs. Incomplete fuel burning loads up the plugs and they just get worse. I guess, start with spark plug color then comp. check, then timing , good spark, bad wires, intake leak , yada.

No dis respect passat but I ran a 40 on a 1600 and it was the best thing I ever did, never missed a lick and never gave any issues once it was clean and jetted correctly

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:35 am 
WB Contributor

I know there is 1 out a 10 that did good, but I'm sure a 36 would have been better. Too much fuel and you start loosing power. Start loosing compression as it gets older and it will let you know. Extra gas also washes the oil out of rings as we all know. After a long pull did you remember reving it to clear out the plugs? Was there SOME black smoke? Was your exaust sooty? OR was your 40 ever re jetted for a smaller motor? I had a Ford 2 bbl off a 302 Cu. In. on a 2170 something and it did great but it would load up on anything smaller. Thanks for the conversation. The only reason I know anything is because I think I have made every wrong direction known. lol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:41 pm 

2800passat wrote:
I know there is 1 out a 10 that did good, but I'm sure a 36 would have been better. Too much fuel and you start loosing power. Start loosing compression as it gets older and it will let you know. Extra gas also washes the oil out of rings as we all know. After a long pull did you remember reving it to clear out the plugs? Was there SOME black smoke? Was your exaust sooty? OR was your 40 ever re jetted for a smaller motor? I had a Ford 2 bbl off a 302 Cu. In. on a 2170 something and it did great but it would load up on anything smaller. Thanks for the conversation. The only reason I know anything is because I think I have made every wrong direction known. lol

So can you help him or not?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:58 pm 

X2 Passat , show him how. If you can. He's a friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:18 pm 
WB Contributor

Bring it to Leeds tomorrow. Carl Childers and the rest of us will tinker with it and wot not out in the woods. umhmm. Yessir. 205 369 7406. Park in a lot across from my house. We will leave out from there about 12:00.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:52 am 

Sorry for not responding earlier but after posting the thread I had walking pneumonia and the following week I had a diverticulitis flare, lol. Needless to say I fell way behind on all my weekend projects and I am still trying to catch up.

Passat, I'll call you one of these weekends and hopefully you can help me out sorting the carb problem. I'll clean the carb one more time and check for any vacuum leaks and correct these if present. I am clueless when it comes to setting timing and adjusting carbs, LOL. Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:20 am 
WB Contributor

I'll try . But helping people seems to land me in jail.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:08 pm 

hahhaha, I'll bring alcoholic beverages, what you do with them, either while consuming or after consuming them that leads you in jail, ain't my problem :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:22 pm 
WB Contributor

Robert Farley in Fultondale is a very good motor diagnoser. but call me at 369 7406. or him at 841 7147.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:57 pm 
WB Contributor

I have 4 buggies to upkeep and I ride 2-4 x's a week with wife and son. On top of racing fuel , antifreeze, flat tires, blown out cut brakes and 32 wheel bearrings! I am mentally, physically and financially getting beat down from buggy work. lol call me and we can diagnose over the phone. I work under shade trees and the ticks, chiggers, mosquitos, ants, nosee ems are incredible. But, I just cannot beat the addiction to buggies and time in the woods. I really believe that there is no one else in America with more buggy time OR Volkswagen hi way miles than me. Been around buggies since'72 and have driven bugs, busses and type 3's and New Beetle daily since '78. :roll: Vw has controlled school, college, work locations , where I have lived , which house to buy, debt, size of family, marriages, fun b4 God. :oops:

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk