It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:04 pm

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1835 vs 1915
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:22 pm 

Hey guys I am starting my new engine build in a couple weeks and my uncle has always ran a 1835 in his rails,,my buddies keep saying to build 1915...
My uncle says those guys are always breaking things and why do u need that much for the woods..i know all you guys say bigger is better.I am just wanting ur guys input what are the pros and cons if any thanks

Post subject: Re: 1835 vs 1915
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:38 pm 

Personell preference really... 1835 (92mm) has a thicker cylinder wall vs a 1915 (94mm) and old timers say the thicker cylinder cools better, but of course, no replacement for displacement... the biggest difference maker is the heads, cam and carburetor's... ive seen a well tuned 1835 hurt some feelings of guys running big stroker motors :twisted:

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:58 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

This topic has been heavily discussed. You can probably find 20 different threads with different opinions.

I think this is a great article to start with...

http://www.aircooled.net/vw-performance-engines/

As for my 2 cents, I ran an 1835 with a 3 rib for many years and never had an issue. Not only did I take it to the trails all the time, I also drove it to work and to the beach.

For some reason, I felt that I needed more power. I went through the same questions you are asking. You will start at 1835 then consider a 1915 but quickly realize you can build a 2180 for the same price as a 1915. Next thing you know, you are buying new carbs and replacing the trans.

Only you can decide on the power you need. Just know that the cost will go up very quickly once you go past an 1835.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:30 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

A lot of that decision can be better answered by knowing what your starting with. Is this a new build and starting from scratch? Are you rebuilding a motor you already have or have some parts already? What type of trans do you have? What type of riding are you planning on doing will all play into what your gonna be expecting out of a motor build and price differences. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:37 pm 

That was a good read Micky...
As far as starting point i just bought a Beetle with a good 1641 and also have 1641 in my rail so i am parting the bug and keeping the engine so i can have a spare ..i have a 3 rib. Bus to bus ,,30x12.5 bars and 31x15.5 terras i have dual singles now and will be upgrading to dual 40's for the new build i trail ride and hill clmb in south eastern Ohio
I have a descent knowlege of how to keep my rail running
I will keep my stock heads and get them worked on and will get new rockers and new cam
I have a lightened 8 dowell flywheel and counter weighted crank and H beam rods my buddy at Larrys off road will do my case work.
I basically just need to get the pistons I want and start building i do believe i may go the 1835 route just cause of my experience with my uncles rail all these years.I have seen his rail climb better than alot of other bigger built rails

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:32 pm 

buckslyr09 wrote:
Hey guys I am starting my new engine build in a couple weeks and my uncle has always ran a 1835 in his rails,,my buddies keep saying to build 1915...
My uncle says those guys are always breaking things and why do u need that much for the woods..i know all you guys say bigger is better.I am just wanting ur guys input what are the pros and cons if any thanks

My first advice to you is to never ever listen to your uncle again, never ever ever never ever. I am running a supercharged 2.4L and I want even more in the woods. It sounds like your uncle is a lot like my dad. Old school is OUT. Bigger is better! Breaking things comes from stupid driving. Don't side step the clutch, don't bury the throttle from dirt to pavement and don't keep your foot on the throttle while the rear tires are in the air. Keep in mind power comes from your engines ability to breath (bigger carbs and bigger exhaust). Go big and know that whenever you want the power you have it. You don't always have to use it but it sure is nice to be able to bury the throttle when you want to.
Set your budget and then build 30% over that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:40 pm 

buckslyr09 wrote:
That was a good read Micky...
As far as starting point i just bought a Beetle with a good 1641 and also have 1641 in my rail so i am parting the bug and keeping the engine so i can have a spare ..i have a 3 rib. Bus to bus ,,30x12.5 bars and 31x15.5 terras i have dual singles now and will be upgrading to dual 40's for the new build i trail ride and hill clmb in south eastern Ohio
I have a descent knowlege of how to keep my rail running
I will keep my stock heads and get them worked on and will get new rockers and new cam
I have a lightened 8 dowell flywheel and counter weighted crank and H beam rods my buddy at Larrys off road will do my case work.
I basically just need to get the pistons I want and start building i do believe i may go the 1835 route just cause of my experience with my uncles rail all these years.I have seen his rail climb better than alot of other bigger built rails

FYI, I am running a built 2276 with dual 44's with a three rib on my old car and I beat the shit out of it for 10 years. Like I said, its on how you drive. Don't waste your time on an 1835, build a decent engine and enjoy what it has to offer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:02 am 

I should add, if you do go with a 1835 or 1915 you should add at least a 120 cam or 1.25 rockers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:19 pm 
BOTM Winner

just build a stroker and get it over with. you will save money in the long run! I broke more stuff in the woods with my old 1915 than I ever have with a 2332. with a stroker, you wont have to beat the eyeballs out of it to make it up the hill.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:46 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Since your reusing your crank and rods and staying with stock heads I'd cut it for 94's and put a 110 cam in it and run the 1915. Now if you got any extra cash to burn I'd buy a really good set of heads to put on it and have the block clearenced and stroke it. There is no replacement for displacement. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:27 am 
BOTM Winner

you can clearance the block yourself and save some $$. Pretty easy to do, just takes a little time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:12 pm 

I have a engine builder with a shop prepping my case. He is a good friend so it wont cost me and i have a forged counter weight crank..he will also cut my heads for me i am gonna go 94' s i basically have the guts of the engine already just need cam and rockers probably and buy my pistons and new carbs .....i might have a strong 1641 for sale with dual. Baby webers after i get the 1915 done...
Thanks for the input fellas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:17 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Just found this .I always say if you gonna build a buggy motor build the biggest Mother you can .Racebuggy is dead on I built my wife her first buggy with a 1914 w/dual 45 dels 1st ride I climbed a hill took it home sold the motor and built her a 2276 best thing I ever did it lasted 9 years and 2 buggys before it blew :shock: then me and my buddy Jeff built her a new one it was about 2 years old i sold it to aboone993 I think it still alive .Build a 2500 if you going to build VW because you are going to want more.You may think you want But you will Trust me.me my self :shock: I have been at this for years I would go W/C Turbo .Ain't no feeling like turbo mobiling :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:48 pm 

Yea I agree bigger is better I ran and 1835 for several years and when up to a 2054 for a few more years and now I got a 2165 which my buddy smokey is gonna help me rebuilt and over the winter I'm going to cut another block and hopefully built a 2332 for next year an than I can really act like an idiot

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk