It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:18 am

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:22 pm 

I'm having a hard time getting insurance quotes if I go with a state "new vehicle title" most of them hear what itis and say pass.. this concerns me alot.. if I register it as anything will it be covered in an accident? I am strongly considering a SR-22 bond insurance on myself so I have some kind of coverage that meets legal requirements... because I honestly dont know if any of the other options will actually cover an incident. any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:10 am 

Farmers Mutual aka Farm Bureau insured mine here in Tennessee as a home made construction buggy. It took me 3 months to get a VIN number from the state.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:32 am 

My Wife has a Farmers insurance agency in Ohio. I'll have her check into it and let you know

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."--Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:50 am 

im insured through progressive. my car is titled as a beetle but they know its a buggy and have pictures of it on file.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:58 am 

mine is with nationwide same as tw here in alabama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:01 pm 

I made my vin number up and got it listed as a 73 super beetle
State Farm I believe it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:17 pm 

Psycho Alpha wrote:
My Wife has a Farmers insurance agency in Ohio. I'll have her check into it and let you know

would love to hear about this!

tw9294 wrote:
im insured through progressive. my car is titled as a beetle but they know its a buggy and have pictures of it on file.

see this sounds reasonable, but this hasn't been offered, I cant seem too get an original beetle title to use to get to this point.. i would really like to be able to drive it to work. the self assembled vehicle title is readily available... but insurance is now the limitation to be legal to cruise.. can get it titled and tagged simple enough. just need that financial liability paper.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:23 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

My buggy is title as a Special Constructed DuneBuggy and I was using State Farm and now I am using USAA. I have never had a problem getting insurance. Heck, USAA even offered me collision insurance on my buggy. :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:24 am 

OHBuggy wrote:
Psycho Alpha wrote:

would love to hear about this!

tw9294 wrote:

see this sounds reasonable, but this hasn't been offered, I cant seem too get an original beetle title to use to get to this point.. i would really like to be able to drive it to work. the self assembled vehicle title is readily available... but insurance is now the limitation to be legal to cruise.. can get it titled and tagged simple enough. just need that financial liability paper.

I had a friend that was scrapping a beetle when I was building my car and he gave me the title and vin tag.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:02 pm 

I am in ohio, And I know that progressive will not insure a title like that, I had to use my beetle title, now my dad as a title like yours and he was able to get it thru Geico and historical plates, Also check out Erie insurance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:47 am 

All state and I have both of mine listed as assembled roadsters. If you are not plating your buggy, all state has an off-road policy that has full coverage as long as you have receipts. A word of caution for those of you insuring your buggy as a VW. Even though it may pass through your agent, its not legal and you are leaving yourself open to potential problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:51 am 

fatboy wrote:
I am in ohio, And I know that progressive will not insure a title like that, I had to use my beetle title, now my dad as a title like yours and he was able to get it thru Geico and historical plates, Also check out Erie insurance

I am not sure if Ohio has the same laws as Michigan but the usage for historic plates are very strict. Basically you are limited to events and parades. We did have one of the people we ride with get busted for driving for pleasure on historic plates.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:59 am 

Twotrackerbryan wrote:
fatboy wrote:

I am not sure if Ohio has the same laws as Michigan but the usage for historic plates are very strict. Basically you are limited to events and parades. We did have one of the people we ride with get busted for driving for pleasure on historic plates.

Ohio for historical plates, These plates may be issued to any Ohio motorist. The vehicle must be 25 years of age or older. It is a collector's vehicle used in participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, but NOT for general transportation.
The way I look at it cant drive it every day but I see nothing wrong with 2 or 3 times a week during the summer. But i would say if the cop wanted to be a dick they could do what every they want,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:05 am 

Twotrackerbryan wrote:
All state and I have both of mine listed as assembled roadsters. If you are not plating your buggy, all state has an off-road policy that has full coverage as long as you have receipts. A word of caution for those of you insuring your buggy as a VW. Even though it may pass through your agent, its not legal and you are leaving yourself open to potential problems.

I am not sure how its not legal too use a VW title? On my one buggy i have the title from the bug i used the front beam and rear torsion. The vin is stamped in the beam and rear torsion and have never had a issue,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:59 am 

I have a beetle title. I have never had an issue. I asked the title office twice to change my title to reflect that it was a buggy and not a beetle. I explained that it only has beetle suspension and was told that was fine. the insurance company has pictures on file. my car sees LOTS of street time. I drive it work when I can,i take it to cruise ins and car shows and go for long drives on weekends. I have never had an issue and every officer ive ever talked to is just curious and wants to know about it just like everyone else. everyone I know personaly uses a beetle title. I have the vin tag on my top bar above windshield(had an officer tell me what upset them most is trying to find a vin so have it easily visible) I also have the vin stamped in chassis in at least a dozen locations.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:31 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Using a VW title has always been a lively discussion. Here is my 2 cents..

Every state has different laws. In most states, you can legally use a Beetle VIN if you keep at least 20% of the original chassis.

Since most of our buggies are tube chassis and do not use any of the VW chassis, we cannot legally use a VW Beetle. However, most states do not really care or understand and most insurance brokers will be glad to take your money.

At the end of the day, you can do whatever works for your state/county. If you can get a tag and the police do not bother you. Go for it..

As for the insurance, you will not know if you are really covered until you need to file a claim. If it is something small, I am sure no one will care and the claim will be covered. If you get into a major accident with lots of damage, a VW VIN is at risk of not getting covered because the insurance company can claim false representation. Unfortunately, you will not know until you need to file a claim. If you do not get in an accident, you are fine. :D :D

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk