It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:18 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I bought a chaindrive buggy project last summer and now ready to start on it. The buggy was setup to run rear engine 4.3 through a bus trans out to the chaindrive. Then he decided he was going to run LS1 mid engine through a built short shaft power glide adapted straight to a corvette c6 diff. Extend the swing arm mounts and still chaindrive with the same swing arms. He had already extended one side and driver side is still same. So it's half and half to one way or the other.
I think mid engine would move the weight forward and make a good climber and with the chains could get the gearing you need. But also could build new arms and run cvs and axles but I don't know what kinda gearing I'd have to run a tall tire. And I don't know about having a v8 setting right behind my seat and how hot that would be.
I thought about flipping the C6 diff and running it rear engine and still extending the arms just not as far as he has and that way still set the tires back a bit,keeping chains to get my gearing to run the bigger tire and keep the heat off my back.

Here's a video of the same motor,trans,and corvette rear diff I have set up mid engine with cv's.

What way would you build it and what's your ideas on pros and cons. I know what I'm wanting to do but always good to hear other ideas and thoughts. Besides it's time for some new build threads anyways,lol. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:18 pm 

That's the first chaindrive I've seen that was mid-engine all of the ones I've seen are rear mount a friend of mine Jeff busby has one rear engine 99 fuel injection corvette hook up to a automatic vanagon on 44s and wade aka ncbuggy has one rear mount with 383 storker with dual propane injectors on 44s and they both climb anything around with no problems hope this helps good Luck with the build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:10 am 
BOTM Winner

I am not sold on a mid engine for hill climbing. Too much foreward weight i think

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:39 am 

Isn't one of the points of a chaindrive to get some of the bias off the rear by moving axle line behind engine? Basically making a mid engine.......?

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."--Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:02 pm 

Get that thread started lets see some pics :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:14 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

go chain drive full chain drive not baby chains nothing will out climb one when its running bolts and do it right and they hold up to a beating very good

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:20 am 
BOTM Winner

wouldnt full chains along with a mid engine almost make it a front engine? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:31 am 
WB Contributor

I've EXPERIMENTED WITH JUST ABOUT ANY CONGIGURATION. Yes , a traditional buggy is best. But if you go w/c, every thing starts to get messed up. SO... To get w/c to climb... long travel, gear reduction, large tires, and massive grip, yada yada. The motor forward is great for steeper the better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:18 am 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

I say go ahead with the LS1 small block, the shorty power glide and the corvette diff. that would be awesome. It would be like a top fuel buggy. You gotta do it Chad. For a long time, I always been thinking this would be a cool setup, lets see you build it. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:26 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

afterburnt wrote:
I say go ahead with the LS1 small block, the shorty power glide and the corvette diff. that would be awesome. It would be like a top fuel buggy. You gotta do it Chad. For a long time, I always been thinking this would be a cool setup, lets see you build it. :mrgreen:

So you want me to run it mid engine setup like the one in the video?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:40 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

gasman wrote:
afterburnt wrote:

So you want me to run it mid engine setup like the one in the video?

Ya, I think that with this set up, you would get alot of power and a lot of wheel speed. and if you take and shove the diff to the back of the buggy, with some 38" boggers the weight of the motor would help hold down the front end a little., a chain drive would just slow the wheel speed down. Besides, it would be one helluva conversation piece and fun to watch. and if I remember right, the last buggy I saw with a small block Chevy made it on funniest home videos, maybe you can make it there too :lol: :lol: and speaking of videos those videos you posted at the top, theres no video, just a big blank space.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:52 pm 
WB Contributor

http://bplonline.cdmhost.com/utils/ajax ... DMROTATE=0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:55 pm 
WB Contributor

http://bplonline.cdmhost.com/utils/ajax ... DMROTATE=0 Here Gasman! lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:58 pm 
WB Contributor

http://bplonline.cdmhost.com/utils/ajax ... DMROTATE=0

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk