It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:52 am

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E85 fuel
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:32 pm 

Does anyone run e85 been thinking about this for a while but noone seems to have any info about it when i saw vwtravis buggy for sale and noticed it is set up for it this gave me hope that maybe there is info out there going to be building my 2275 this next week and would like to make the swap on the new motor so any info would be apreciated

Post subject: Re: E85 fuel
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:47 pm 

I don't know to much about it I have talked to Travis about it a few times and he says you just change some jets and it will work try and get in touch with Travis I'm sure he would be more and willing to tell you what to do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:12 pm 

Was gunna contact him but didnt know how hed feel about that

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:14 pm 
WB Contributor

Don't do that! The ethanol has a natural octane (rating) because it is already week. Pure gasoline has a lot of powerful BANG in it and so it hurts bearings and overheats heads therefore they put octane in gasoline to slow down the bang and make it burn slower (boom)(same power) to take away the sudden hammering and burn away from the head. The hotter the spark plug, head and piston gets, the fuel will lite off too soon and ping and hurt the bearings more and heat the head more. Run some 91 octane boat gas with no ethanol that they sell around lakes. Oh , and put it in your lawn mowers and chain saws so the ethanol won't corrode their carbs. If you want to blow up an ol girlfriend's house, get some gas with a zero octane rating. lol To run that weak E85 (85% corn?) , you'd probably have to set your timing at 15 BTDC! lol Basicly , octane allows you keep your timing where it is if you have big compression ratios.

Last edited by 2800passat on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:35 pm 

I know what ur saying DD but all of my dads buddies run it in their drag cars now and they swear by it I'm just trying to get some information because some motors won't run worth a crap on 91 and at 8.00 a gallon 111 octane is too expensive if it is bad fora motor I wouldn't dare run it but that's what I'm trying to figure out I just don't see why vwtravis. Would run it if it was bad for a motor but just trying to get info about it since there seems to be very little out there :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:19 am 

Passat you are totally wrong
I work at a refinery. We add ethanol to gas to bump the octane up. E85 is equivalent to like 104/107 octane. But you will use 25 to 30 % more which means bigger jets. It will cause corrosion if you let it set to long and is harder on the rubber parts in your carbs. Vw travis is running it and has been for a long time with high compression 12+/1. More octane more power, and will run cooler. . And now all fuel you buy that is sold in the US has a certain amount of ethanol in it usually under 10% not by the refineries choice but by the government regulations. I could go on and on with this, but thay is the basics. I'm getting ready to convert my buggy over to e85. 2$ a gallon I'll make more power, and run cooler

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:05 am 
BOTM Winner

Terry is right! Kevin did this on the a-arm buggy. you run bigger jets (about 20% i believe). made more power on the dyno!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:13 am 

okay so now my question is can i increase my jet sizes and just tune it according to how it runs or do i need to buy s/s fuel line and have the carb coated there are a lot of people buying conversion kits for v8s and such but if all u need to do is increase the jets sizes i dont see any reason to buy a conversion kit there are a lot of guys saying that u need stainless steel fuel line just trying to get my ducks in a row so i dont have any issues thanks guys for the info :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:08 am 
WB Contributor

Ok... I'm all ears. Are there side effects like oil change intervals or 1/2 the gas mileage even tho you burn 25-30% more fuel ? Other than corrosion. Buy a huge fuel tank, bad on fuel pumps? Dakota Stillwell. Speak directly to a guy that does it b4 doing it. At the factory their machines run all day. We see 4-6 hours a month.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:47 pm 
WB Contributor

Just something to talk about. Last spring I burned all the 93 octane gas with 10% eth.out of my buick V6 baby chain buggy. Refilled with 87 oct, zero ethanol boat gas we call it. It was so powerful that I rode the woods all day, roasting those TSL 40's all by myself. I thought I had discovered something new. A very noticeable power increase. The 10% ethanol was replaced by gasoline and it was all 87 oct. Came to a stop in the afternoon and the trapped steam was pushing my anti freeze out of the reservoir. It was so hot that it was pinging and getting hotter. I put 91 oct boat gas in it now and it still runs a little warmer. It has like an 8.8 c.r. So . Octane just enables you to have more power, it don't give you more power we all know. If I really had to burn the 87 I'd have to retard the timing and loose power.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 pm 

2800passat wrote:
Ok... I'm all ears. Are there side effects like oil change intervals or 1/2 the gas mileage even tho you burn 25-30% more fuel ? Other than corrosion. Buy a huge fuel tank, bad on fuel pumps? Dakota Stillwell. Speak directly to a guy that does it b4 doing it. At the factory their machines run all day. We see 4-6 hours a month.

I've got buddy's that run it in drag cars, total run time is about ten minutes a month.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:32 pm 

Use F7 E/tubes and times your main jet by 1.4 will get you n the ball park. Just remember you need more fuel from idle to full RPM so idle jets and pump jets will need increased too. As for fuel lines and pumps use what you got.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:44 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Travis is pretty smart on tuning a vw to run anything :lol: yes it's more octane, you can run higher compression, it will make more power and is cheaper per gal. The bad thing here in WV is last time I checked only two gas stations in the entire state sold it. And it was over an hour and half drive to both them. Not only that but it smells like bad home brew when your running it,need to put some smell good additive in it,lol. I think you get less mpg with it also but it's cheaper hp. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:58 pm 
BOTM Winner

We put it on the dyno with the same jets he ran owith race gas and started from there with a jet drill. I cant remember the sizes he ended up with. Isn't e-85 on its way out?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:53 pm 

Running a worn out 1835 im gunna do the jets and smoke some thru it before i run it thru my 2275 thanks for the info will let yall know how well i like it and there are several places around here that sell e85

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:08 pm 

RaceBugg1098 wrote:
We put it on the dyno with the same jets he ran owith race gas and started from there with a jet drill. I cant remember the sizes he ended up with. Isn't e-85 on its way out?

Thats the 1st I've heard about it. The government trying to force the refineries to add more ethanol to fuel. But vehicle manufacturers will only warranty up to 10% ethanol unless they were designed to run e85

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 pm 

stillwell1 wrote:
Running a worn out 1835 im gunna do the jets and smoke some thru it before i run it thru my 2275 thanks for the info will let yall know how well i like it and there are several places around here that sell e85

You will probably hate it if your running it in a motor that don't need it because of the hassle tuning and the effect of outside temp change. But it will pay off on a engine at 12:1 @ $2 gal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:09 pm 

Ill need racing fuel for my 2275 and im not into paying that much for it so im gunna try it out i guess if it doesnt work out ill just be stuck with paying 8-9 $ a gollon for 111

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:10 pm 

I ran some in my moped and let me tell ya..... That sumbitchellaunch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:17 pm 
WB Contributor

stillwell1 wrote:
Ill need racing fuel for my 2275 and im not into paying that much for it so im gunna try it out i guess if it doesnt work out ill just be stuck with paying 8-9 $ a gollon for 111

Then join the fuel injected, fuel efficient w/c crowd. lol On an average Leeds ride the Buick V6 carb 1 seater burns 5.5 gals, Passat V6 and the orange a/c burn 4 . But the orange a/c must have a mix 60gas/40 of racing fuel. The Passat has 175 hp and the orange "Fire Barrel" has a moderate 110? Have you noticed the Passat has the small gas tank. So that's about $13 for the Passat and $21 for the Fire Barrel. Austins big a/c motor for that ride at 111oct would be $32 or MORE since it is bigger and with duals webers.

Last edited by 2800passat on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:46 am 

Never heard what the Passat hill eater done at the biscuit?????did the hill eat it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 pm 
WB Contributor

I did not go. So many said they'd go but backed out so I figured more would back out. It was a tough decision . Come ride at Leeds with us.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:31 pm 

I will in the future. Thanks for the invite

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk