It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 12:54 am

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:26 am 

Hey y'all,
I'm in the process of building a couple of baja's and have grown tired of doing so much work without any play. So I have this old rail that I bought a few years ago that's been sitting behind the shop. It needs some work but will be a lot easier to get going than the two restorations I've got going.
It used to have a gear reduction transaxle( it's no good) with a 2.3L non turbo mustang 2 engine(now locked up).
I have a 63 type 1 beetle transaxle that I'm going to put in it. The buggy it came out of only had a 40hp engine with 7.00-15 tires so it shouldn't be too damaged, and it was a small buggy going to go through it before I install it.

Id like to run a mostly stock engine, but am wondering if it will be enough to pull a pair of 32/11.50 or 33/12.50 tires. Going to use a bobtail or empi mergers exhaust with the u bend stinger, and a progressive carb with centrifugal advance electric distributor to start with just because I already have the stuff. Wondering if anyone else runs a small engine with big tires?

Thanks y'all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:26 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

the 2nd one looks like it is almost complete and might not take that long to get running again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:36 pm 

Yeah the second one is the one I'm going to work on. It just needs some paint and sheet metal work. Ill have to put an engine and transaxle/braking system in it and build a wiring harness. I'm not too crazy about the railroad iron front bumper either.
It already has rack and pinion steering in good condition, front beam and all is in good shape as well. Fuel tank, pedals, seats & related are there and in useable condition.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:42 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

well the tires size you list are small so you will be just fine with a 31 to a 33

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:31 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

The 2nd buggy for sure,I'd junk the 1st one. I'd put an IRS in it and redo it. Looks like it was setup for a pinto or 2300ford motor,probably why it has a 200lb front bumper,lol. Seen some pics of your baja's in your photo bucket album so it looks like you won't have any problems building it. Glw your build and welcome to the site. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:45 am 

Ill start with the swing axle so I can have somethin to play in soon. Maybe after the baja's are done, I can revisit the rail and upgrade to IRS and possibly rebuild the 2.3L. I bet it'd be a lot of fun with the extra power.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:22 am 
BOTM Winner

No dought the first one needs to be scrapped. It's a death trap waiting to fold up on the first roll! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:15 pm 
BOTM Winner

I ran swingaxles for 15 years. I swithched to IRS in 1998. The 63 model you are going to use should have a 4.37 gear in it. That trans will pull 32" tires just fine. You will have a blast with it. Now get out and have some fun. :mrgreen:

Buy the best and cry once.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 pm 

Thanks for the information on the gear ratio. I feel like a stock engine will do well with that ratio.
I've ordered some front suspension parts, parts to freshen up the trans, all wheel bearings and spacers and brake parts... Just need some time now.
In the mean time, I started some on the body...

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk