It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:03 am

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:39 am 

Hey guys... First off, y'all have been AWESOME. I've been on many forums with my many different hobbies and have never gotten the response like I have had on here.

I've finally got my buggy going, minus the shifting issue (Anyone have a good link for good shifters?). SO I've decided to strengthen the frame and rewire. While doing so, I'd like to know what is required for my buggy to be "street legal". I've searched on here and haven't found anything specific. The local police don't really know, and the tag office doens't have a check list. SO... I'm planning on headlights, tailights/brake lights, 5 point harness (already have), and a few mirrors... I may borrow some different tires that are DOT. Other than that:

1.) How do I go about titling this thing?
2.) VIN?
3.) Insurance?
4.) I have NO clue what "Year" it would be considered...
5.) Are Front Brakes a must?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:55 am 
WB Contributor

Easiest way is to get a VW title and register it as a VW. That is how mine is tagged in Tennessee. You will need state minimum insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:17 pm 
WB Contributor

also need turn signals,horn,windshield and maybe a wiper even if its manually operated

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:45 pm 

i just had a policeman friend of mine fill out a inspection form i got from the dmv took that with the bill of sale to the dmv.i did not have a vin # they told me to just make up one.it was easy getting a tag.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:35 pm 

I don't think you have to have a windshield. I work with a guy that has been on the street for years without one. Motorcycles don't have windshields. He does have to wear eye protection though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:15 am 

I live in Central Alabama. When I bought my buggy i got a VIN on the bill of sale. So i would have to have it inspected before i get a tag? Then who would i get to insure it. and what do i tell them it is a bug or custom vehicle or what.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:56 am 

Not totally sure in AL, but mine is street legal in TN, don't know how different the states rules are. Mine is titled as a 1997 Homemade. Insured through Farm Bureau of TN. Been pulled over and wasn't given any problems. The cop was too busy checking the buggy out that he just kinda forgot I had just cleaned out both carburators up to 6k rpm or so. Racefreak's old buggy is in my backyard, it was also street legal at one point. The guy that originally built it said all he had to do was call the clerks office, they sent either a sheriff or cop over to his house to inspect it. Their inspection was they made sure the motor wasn't stolen, and issued him a stick on vin label.

Not sure if that helps any.

And insurance runs me about 750 a year for liability with it titled that way, not sure if itd be different titled as a bug or not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:39 am 

mine is registered as a 73 bug needs no title and insurance is 140 a year

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:11 am 

mine is insured in ga with progressive. i used the vin off a car they put 73 vw dune buggy on the ins. id that way if in a wreck you should actualy be covered. 102.00 for 6 mon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:18 pm 

holeman did you have to get it inspected and could u give me some pointers on what to expect on inspection and who do you use for ins.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:15 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I have had street legal buggies in a few states and here are some things to look into... These are my understandings of the laws and depending on your state, they may be overlooked or strongly enforced.

1st off.. A VW Beetle tag is illegal unless you retain 20% of the pan from the original donor car. That being said, I am sure this is a very common way to get a buggy street legal and you may never have an issue.

The correct way to get a buggy on the street is to register you buggy with the state and have your state assign your buggy with a VIN number and plate. This process is very different from state to state but all states will usually perform some type of inspection for a new VIN.

Rules:
1) Must have DOT approved Hi/Low Beam head lights with a dashboard indicator to show Hi beam lights are on.
2) Must have Front and Rear Parking lights
3) Must have Front and Rear Turn Signals
4) Must have Hazards Lights (all signals together)
5) Must have an electric Horn
6) Must have rear Brake Lights
7) Must have a Rear View Mirror and a side view mirror OR two side view mirrors
8) You much have eye protection. A pair of DOT approved glasses will work or a windshield (must be certified ASI safety glass)
9) If you have a windshield, you need to have a windshield wiper (manual or electric)
10) If you have a windshield, the glass must be AS1 Safety Certified
11) Must have uncut DOT approved tires
12) Must have front and rear brakes (or at least look like you have front and rear brakes)
13) Must have a mechanical parking brake (I am sure a line lock with pass)
14) Must have seat belts

State by State Rules (You will need to check your state)
1) Fenders - Some states require fenders others do not
2) Steering wheel size - Some states have a minimum diameter of 14 inches
3) Bumpers - Some states require a bumper on the front and rear
4) Reverse Light - Some states require a reverse light but most will accept a manual reverse switch.
5) Insurance is different state to state but will require at least some minimum liability converge
6) Muffler - Some states require some type of muffler or spark arrester
7) Some states require emissions. This has ALWAYS been my biggest pain in the butt.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:19 pm 

dammmm aint got alot of that shit and got a tag and run the roads all the time.windshield not required turns either arm pointing left and right still good

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:13 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

like mm stated those are probably the most common state to state laws if you gonna be traveling around with the buggy BUT it also depends on how strict/leniant or just plain ignorant (good and bad) your local law enforcement and tag office is as to what you can and cant get by with

with that being said, around here the current officials at the courthouse are pretty easy going and to get a tag you can get by with just headlights, tail lights, and seat belts and either a made up vin or one from an old bug, just make sure its 74 or older as anything 74 or older only requires a bill of sale and does not require a title in the state of al and yes the hand signals are still on the law books around here and depending on the inspector whether or not they want to give you shit about a windshield and mirrors

and as for insurance my alfa agent told me that as long as i had a tag on it he would insure it

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:17 pm 

I agree most cases they are not that strick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:46 am 

Here in Jemison Al cops are pretty leniant as long as your not acting a fool on the roads on anything from dirt bikes to four wheelers and gokarts to buggies. they just say we need to wear our helments next time and be careful. now if your on the back wheels when you pass one then your in trouble. we used to ride 15 miles away from home on 4 wheelers down Highway 145 and wave as we passed by lol. sorry for the rant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:57 pm 

Anyone has any experience dealing with the courthouse in Blount County, AL?

Anyone with a pre 1974 VW VIN that they want to sell and that is not stolen? :D :roll: :| :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:07 pm 

I got one I'll sell. What's it worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:33 am 

Email sent!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:51 am 

Call or text if ya want it. 205-234-0951

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk