It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:14 pm

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4 PLY tires
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:57 pm 
New posts about the 4 ply firestones. Some one had asked some questions about them in the parts for sale section. About 9 months ago I tried to get them made, and as Roy stated you can get them made but the order has to be at least 500 tires. The price was not to good either, if I remember right it was around $175.00 a tire plus tax. You also have to pay 100% up front since it would be a special order, and the time line would be from 6 months to 1 year for the production. I had someone that was willing to put up the money, but they had to make at least 30% profit so then you would have to sell them for around $250.00 a tire to come out. Plus you would have delivery fees and storage fees (it would take a very big building to store 500 tires). After we looked at everything we decided it was not worth while. We did offer them $100.00 a tire but Firestone refused that offer. I think they did come back with a offer of $165.00 but that was still to much. I had commitments for around 100 tires, but the other 400 was going to be hard to come by. Also if someone has a choice of 8plys for $300.00 a set or 4plys for around $500.00 a set they are going to choose the $300.00 set most of the time. I have been running the 8 ply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:50 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I believe I also might have someone lined up who may be able to put the money up, but I never imagined Firestone would want that much per tire. If they are gonna charge that much per tire, (quite a bit more wholesale than when they were in production), you'd think they'd give a break on the number of tires required. If they would go $150 each, that would put you at $195 plus shipping each retail at 30%. I'd pay that. That is a lot of "ifs"!

Well, its good to hear the 8 plies are working decent. We may be stuck with them. You running any air at all in them? I've heard if you got a wide, flat bead area on the inside edge of your rim, and a beadlock on the outside, you can let all the air out of the 8 ply and never know it.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:15 pm 
I have been running arround 3 psi in them. But it has been so dry, when it gets wet that is where the 4ply tires start hooking better. Last year 2 of the guys I ride with used the 8plys and went any where Charlie or Darrell went. I have found 1 way to soften them a little. This is from a friend that races gocarts get GOJO the white kind and put about an inch on the out side of the tire with about 80psi of air and let them set for 3 or 4 days. Do not put it on the bars; because it does work it softens the rubber a little. Charlie has been running 8 plys for the last 4 rides we have went on (just for testing) He still has 1 new set of 4 plys left. I think we will all be on 8plys with in 2 years except for a few that does not ride their buggys much. The way we keep our tires sharpened a set only last us 1 year at the most. some times 6 months. If every one would bombard Firestone with calls for 4 plys they might look at it as their is a need for them and start making some. Here is the phone numbers. CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS:
Firestone Agricultural Tire Division
4600 N.W. 2nd Avenue
Suite 100
Des Moines, IA 50313
U.S.A.

PHONE:
(800) 435-4437 ext. 2321
(515) 283-1440

[size=150][color=red]Make sure you ask about " FLOTATION 23

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

There is also tire softening compounds that is sprayed onto the tire. You can find it at shops that sale dirt track parts. It's illegle to use it in my area on the track. Here's some stuff for rockcrawling, but there are others as well.

http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=16741
http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=23763

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:54 pm 

The v- treads I run are 4-ply. The brand is STA (Specialty tire of America) They are very similar to the ones bruce mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:30 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

[quote='bruce 1'] If every one would bombard Firestone with calls for 4 plys they might look at it as their is a need for them and start making some. Here is the phone numbers. CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS:
Firestone Agricultural Tire Division
4600 N.W. 2nd Avenue
Suite 100
Des Moines, IA 50313
U.S.A.

PHONE:
(800) 435-4437 ext. 2321
(515) 283-1440[/quote]

Thanks for the info , Bruce. I'm gonna call 'em, and try to get a bunch of others to, also. Couldn't hurt I guess. If every

Board index » General » WoodsBuggy Talk