It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:59 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LT1 wiring harness
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:05 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Got a buddy putting a 95 LT1 from a Z28 in an s-10. Wants to wire it "stand alone" (not utilizing any of the electronics of the s10, kinda like how you'd wire one for a buggy) . "Painless" wants over $900 for a plug n play harness.

Anybody know of someone/someplace that could modify his harness or build one reasonably priced?
He's been on a couple forums related to that crap but still cant find what he needs and can afford.

Thanks, Larry

Post subject: Re: LT1 wiring harness
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:57 pm 
BOTM Winner

Check this place out, might have a good start looking here....http://www.acsracing.com/SS-10.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:59 pm 

call tom at enginewiring.com. He will hook you up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:12 pm 

what year s-10? If its 95 or earlier its easy. Pre obd 2 gm vechicles/pre 96 used engine management only from computer. Gauges,speedo,etc were still old school meaning they had own there senders. the ecm had its own sensors. Starting and charging also were still traditionaly wired. They also had early passlock and can be tricked using 25.00 kits available on line. So you use the temp and pressure senders meant for the s-10 in the lt1 and gauges will still be fine and existing starter and charging wiring would work. mount ecm where u want,wire it to eng and sensors on eng, supply power and ground to ecm harness and it should work. This is all only IF it is a pre 96 s-10 also.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:58 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thanks guys, I'll pass on the info to him. Been trying to get him to sell this pile (or give it away or junk it, whatever) and get a buggy ever since he started on it. If he gets it running, maybe he can. 8)
tw9294 wrote:
what year s-10? If its 95 or earlier its easy. Pre obd 2 gm vechicles/pre 96 used engine management only from computer. Gauges,speedo,etc were still old school meaning they had own there senders. the ecm had its own sensors. Starting and charging also were still traditionaly wired. They also had early passlock and can be tricked using 25.00 kits available on line. So you use the temp and pressure senders meant for the s-10 in the lt1 and gauges will still be fine and existing starter and charging wiring would work. mount ecm where u want,wire it to eng and sensors on eng, supply power and ground to ecm harness and it should work. This is all only IF it is a pre 96 s-10 also.

This the way I'd prolly want to do it, but for whatever reason he isnt worried about any of the existing s10 stuff to work. It is an 85 or something like that. (I believe he is considering grafting the z28 gauge cluster into a custom made steel dash. At least he mentioned that once.) He pretty much would like to just hook up a toggle switch to give power the computer (ignition, so to speak) and a button to crank the starter I believe. Just like if you were putting something like this in a buggy. I'd think you would just need to know which wires going into the computer needs power to turn it on, and then rig a pushbutton to the starter solenoid, but he says it aint that simple. IDK, I have no clue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:52 pm 

Try http://www.larryselectricsite.com I've used this guy's stuff alot on my street rods. What I like the most about Larry's stuff, is when you call, Larry answers!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:37 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Appreciate it. I think he is gonna give larryselectric a call.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring