It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:23 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:18 pm 

K all u know this is my first buggy, I have the arc hooked up. Everytime I hit the starter a fuse blows, can someone post a pic on how they wired the starter, think I might have it hooked up wrong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:36 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I do not have a pic handy but you are only talking about two wires. How do you have it hooked up?

The 1st wire is easy.. You should have one wire going directly from the positive battery terminal to the starter terminal post.

The second wire should start at the positive battery terminal -- Go to your ignition switch -- then go to the starter and connect to the little male connector next to the terminal post.

Where do you have your fuse? My guess is something is wrong your ignition wiring... Not your starter wiring..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:19 am 

fuse is on my Arc switch panel, i think i may have 3 wires hooked up to the starter. is the positive termainal on the very left, negitive on the very right, . when i hit the buttion it will crank for 1 second then it will blow.. dunno whats goin on, pic would make it alot easyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:36 am 

correct me if im wrong but u cant use a fuse in the wire from battery to start switch or from switch to starter unless u r using a relay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:40 am 

hauser2169 wrote:
fuse is on my Arc switch panel, i think i may have 3 wires hooked up to the starter. is the positive termainal on the very left, negitive on the very right, . when i hit the buttion it will crank for 1 second then it will blow.. dunno whats goin on, pic would make it alot easyer

Positive on left (pass side) then the starter in the middle. The right terminal (threaded) does not get connect anything.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:03 pm 

k i fixed the whole popping fuses. now i can get the starter to turn on from my switch but it wont turn over the engine, it will just spin. its like the soleioid is not engaging. here is a pic i have of the wiring with the starter. the black and blue wire on the starter is...
BLACK = battery to starter
Blue=starter to volage regulator,
gray wire= not shown but where do i hook it .

again thanks for all your help on this, im learing slowly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:32 pm 

You should have a wire from your ignition switch (key, button; whatever) to the middle connector (non threaded). Look at the wiring diagram at the top od the electrical section. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:04 pm 

The grey wire is hooked up to a start buttion, , and your saying hook the grey wire to a non threaded terminal? Everything is threaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:46 pm 

Here's the basics....Starter has to be grounded by either running a ground from the battery to the bellhousing or ground battery to the frame then frame to bellhousing. Never assume its grounded just because its bolted to metal that eventually is bolted to the frame.
Battery positive wire to starter.
10 gauge wire from battery to a momentary contact switch.
10 gauge wire from that switch to the solenoid terminal. There should be nothing else connected to this terminal except this wire.
Push the button & your engine should turn over. If it does the problem is your ARC wiring. If it doesnt then you have a starter problem. Once you know where the problem is it will be easier to fix. From reading your posts I think you have too many wires hooked up.
This is the basic start circuit. Dont even connect the alternator or regulator yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:49 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

This was a pain to make but here is a simple picture...

The black wire goes to the threaded terminal...
The red wire goes the slip on terminal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:55 pm 

It looks like his starter has a threaded terminal rather than a blade that we are used to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:33 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

hauser2169 wrote:
k i fixed the whole popping fuses. now i can get the starter to turn on from my switch but it wont turn over the engine, it will just spin. its like the soleioid is not engaging. here is a pic i have of the wiring with the starter. the black and blue wire on the starter is...
BLACK = battery to starter
Blue=starter to volage regulator,
gray wire= not shown but where do i hook it .

again thanks for all your help on this, im learing slowly

Hard to tell from the pic, but there should be one large terminal and two small terminals on that sloenoid. If the starter is just spinning, but the bendix not throwing out (makes the starter gear engage the flywheel), you are using the wrong small terminal. Did you try to hook your grey wire from your starter button to the other small terminal instead of the one you been trying?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:04 am 

there are no slip on connectiions on the solenoid anywhere, just threaded. so the only wires i have to have on it for now is just the hot wire from the battery to the starter, then the grey wire thats connected to my switch to one of the small little connections on the soleinold below the positeive and negitve termianls?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:39 am 

Theres no negative terminal on a starter. There is the big positive, the terminal below that that connects the solenoid to the starter windings( DO NOT CONNECT WIRES TO THIS TERMINAL) & the terminal that gets a 12 volt positive from the key switch or button(this can be either threaded or a blade. DO NOT HOOK A GROUND TO THE SOLENOID. Put a ground on the bolt that holds the starter to the bellhousing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:01 pm 

I wish I lived closer to you, I could straighten it out in an hour or two.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:55 pm 

K funny thing, its been working the whole time, it wasn't touching the fly wheel, I got a 3 rib bus going to a 1600cc, I think they sold me a starter for a sedan. The starter. Is a. Bolshk SR 15 n

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:31 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Hmmm... I believe the same starter can be used for both a sedan and a 3 rib... You only need a new starter if you have a 6 rib tranny...

I have had issues before when my ground was not tight enough and that caused my starter to not fully engage.

This is the ground wire from the battery to your chassis ground.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:14 pm 

Starter is the same unless your bell is off a 6 rib. Make sure the bendix is kicking out. If it isnt your solenoid may be junk. Yes new ones can be junk. Does your starter need a bushing in the bellhousing or did you get one for an automatic? If you need a bushing & its not in there the gear can miss the flywheel when the bendix kicks out but it usually just makes grinding noises & turns slowly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:59 pm 

I have a good ground, and put bushing in. I took the starter out of the bell housing and Bendix did come out. Its like its not coming out when the starter is in the housing's. God there goes a hole day wasted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:45 pm 

K took out starter again, Bendix is working. Just wont connect to the fly wheel. Guess I'll separate the engine and tranny sometime tomorrow and see what's going on, ughhh buggys :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I think the cows can wire a starter by now... :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding, hang in there and you will figure it out..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:37 pm 

O its wired. Just not grabbing the flywheel 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 pm 

I called drew's. And they said I might have a 6 rib bell housing on my 3 rib tyranny, where and what do I measure to confirm this

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:26 pm 
Global moderator

It's gonna be hard to tell,,,it matters where the starter is mounted,,that flange is gonna be about a quarter inch outward from a 3 rib bell housing. Try a 6 rib starter and see if it helps. Or take another buggy with 3 or 6 rib starter and measure from flange seat to flywheel and compare. I'm not sure of any markings on the bell housing that would identify it. someone else might

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Did it ever work? Do you know the history of the buggy or possibly talk to whoever you bought it from.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring