It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:49 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:18 am 

anyone running a jacobs ignition system? if so what/how is it for you

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:13 pm 

My friend has one is his toyota and works fine. I would go msd. There is a reason that every race car you see has msd. JMO.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:08 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I agree.
MSD holds up really well offroad, even the 6AL, which supposedly isnt made for offroad.
They do have an offroad box, but it doesnt have a built in rev limiter. Is same as 6A box but is epoxy filled so electronics are protected, its a lot more $$ though. Unless they recently came out with a new one.

Not saying nothing wrong with Jacobs. It might be durable, too. I just havent seen it in the woods, but seen LOTS of buggies with MSD.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:28 pm 
BOTM Winner

MSD is the best bang for your bucks, I dunno about the Jacobs system, I am currently running the same distributor for 5 years now and been on 3 different engines and it never missed a beat and uses a MSD digital 6AL box and loves it. You may want to that route, but there is always trial and error when trying anything new.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:31 am 

do you do away with your regular coil on your motor if you go to msd or jacobs?

also what should i be lookin for in msd, ive got a jacobs system ive got my eyes on i'll have about 120.00 in it if i get it

which ever system i get it will be going on a stock motor
whats these systems do anyway? i've watched some vids online but coulden't make much out of them

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:00 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I know jack about Jacobs, but I'd imagine it is similiar. As far as MSD, You can replace your coil with the MSD coil, but you dont have to . You can run the MSD box with stock coil and stock dizzy, but you wont get the full benefit. The MSD coil will give you more voltage to your plugs, and MSD dizzy is not as limited in RPM to give accurate timing as a stock VW, i.e. the MSD dizzy will be more consistent in high rpm applications, BUT you dont need to worry about that on a stock motor. A 009 will easily handle the rpms of all but a screamin motor built to run at top end.
As far as what the box does, below 3000 rpm it makes your plug fire 6 (I think) times per revolution, therefore it helps your bottom end a ton, your motor will "light up" quicker when you step on it, and helps to prevent plugs from fouling on a big carbed motor that might otherwise load up at extended periods of low rpms.
There may be more to it than that, but those are the benefits I like about it.
I dont really know if the benefit to a stock motor would be worth the cost of a full system, but adding the 6AL box would be worth it, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:09 am 
BOTM Winner

If it's going on a stock motor, you might as well stick to the standard 009 Bosch distributor system, it works really well unless it is a high-rpm engine like Larry said. The difference between the 6AL digital and the regular 6AL box is that it has a rev-limiter built-in and it is very small and light, it fits perfect inside a very small-skinny ammo-box that has all of my fuses and relays in it. The digital one also can let you adjust your rev by as low as 10's instead of 100's and don't have to buy a pack of 5 or 10 "pills" to get the desired RPM you want to limit, the digital goes all the way up to 12,000 rpm (in which it will never happen LOL) I can adjust it to let's say 7250 rpm instead of 7200 or 7300 rpm in which it probably does not make much difference at all LOL :lol: I just like the box because it's light and small. If you have the $120 to spend on a system, save the $$$ and run the standard stuff and then when you go bigger like a stroker motor, then use it on a MSD system. Try looking into a Pertronixs system, they have a nice distributor and coil-pack, it runs really well on Pipedope's buggy, you can get them from Drew's in Cincy. I done some looking into the Jacobs system, it runs very well on the street according to a forum I looked at earlier and they love it, but I dunno how it will hold-up in the woods.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:47 pm 
BOTM Winner

The Jacobs system I have has an Integral high voltage coil with a heat sink built into the package to keep it cool.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:12 pm 

Image This is my friends jacobs. You can see it under carb. like odys its all contained in one box. He has never had a problem but i'd still buy the best(msd). I,m tired of buying everything twice. Start with the 6al box and build from there. Your ignition can grow as needed intead of replacing it as needed. :idea: :)

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring