It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:29 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:27 pm 
BOTM Winner

Dixieboys racing, I would not delete your posts. It is good Info for the next guy that has a similar problem. Its posts like these that keep this site going. You are not looking like an Idiot. An Idiot would have not asked for help.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:35 pm 
Global moderator

You are righ Ody,,but that is not why I locked it,,,I locked it cause it's too funny :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:38 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Odyknuck wrote:
Dixieboys racing, I would not delete your posts. It is good Info for the next guy that has a similar problem. Its posts like these that keep this site going. You are not looking like an Idiot. An Idiot would have not asked for help.

I agree!!

The only idiot is the one who thinks he is too smart to ask questions.

Unlock it 'bug.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:49 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i wish i would have clicked on that earlier i hate when i miss something. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:25 pm 

LOL I feel really bad. Cause I told the tech support guy last night. NO NO NO! I checked the wiring! lol Well I did check everything. But the ground. He was like you have a loose connection. NO I DON'T. haha

Marty, unlock it so Larry can put his 2 cents in. HAHA! Ought to be good. Gary already sent me his 2 cents. :lol:

Here they are anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:11 pm 
BOTM Winner

Awsome gauges!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:11 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Got the makin's of a chubbie goin' on......... 8)
Nice stuff Boyd.

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

Davis Motorsports FaceBook Page

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:18 pm 

************* http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/ *************

I bought the Elite 7 Series gauges. They best ones that company makes. All three gauges were like $140 bucks. All digital, all electric senders. I did a little forum reserch and got pretty good fedback on the gauges. Many people happy with them. Only drawl back is weather. They arn't weather proof. So when trailering in the rain or something I will have to bag them up to be safe. If they get splashed they told me to just wipe them off as soon as I could.

A few good points...

Digital NEEDLES, Good Price, Sweet Looking can change the display colors to 7 different colors including two fade modes through all colors, they are rear illuminated so no just white light from the back of the face look, very bright supposed to be able to see them in direct sunlight, peak recall, high and low warnings with sound so you can set the gauge to warn you when it gets to low or to high. It blinks and flashes and makes a beeping noise that can be turned on or off. Very smooth actions. Self diaginosing.

Here's my set up

Boost Gauge - Blue Color. Low Warning set at -20 vac. Blinks and Beeps. High Warning set at 8 psi. Blinks and Beeps when I'm at full boost. (happy time)(haha)
Oil Temp Gauge - Blue Color. Low Warning set at 30 psi. Blinks and Beeps. High Warning set at 100 psi. Blinks and beeps until engine starts.
Oil Tempature - Blue Color. Low Warning set at 175 when fan kicks in. Blinks and Beeps. High Warning set at 240. Blinks and Beeps until motor gets up to operating temp. Then go time!

OH and I got a Sandwitch adapter Plate. It is a plate that sandwitches between my oil filter and oil filter mount. The plate allows you to mount 3 different sending units into it. Very very nice!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:37 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

DixieBoysRacing wrote:
OH and I got a Sandwitch adapter Plate. It is a plate that sandwitches between my oil filter and oil filter mount. The plate allows you to mount 3 different sending units into it. Very very nice!

where did you get this at?

you are talking about one that it goes between a screw on ( regular car type filter) and a remote filter mount ?

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:54 pm 

I didn't know boring people got chubbys Gary.

Yea screw on oil filters. Got it at the same place as gauges. 27 bucks or something. Aluminum. Very nice!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:08 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

DixieBoysRacing wrote:

Marty, unlock it so Larry can put his 2 cents in. HAHA! Ought to be good. Gary already sent me his 2 cents. :lol:

I got nothin, done the same kinda stuff myself is all I was gonna say. :roll: :mrgreen:

Those gauges are sweet! I'd have them all fudged up in a bout 20 minutes in to the ride! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:10 pm 

Got 3 spots for sending unit. One for Oil Temp, One for Oil Pressure, and One for Gary's finger. All fudged up? Your supposed to get out of the buggy to take a leak! haha

I'll try and take a video maybe tomorrow after I get my motor back in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:25 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

DixieBoysRacing wrote:
All fudged up? Your supposed to get out of the buggy to take a leak! haha
:lol: :lol: :lol: Tryin to watch my mouth in front of the yunguns.

If its purty, and I paid for it, I break it, everytime. cell phones, cameras, headlights, stereo stuff, etc etc :roll:
I'm a lil careless with gadgets sometimes :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:14 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

that is sweet i never liked having to t a bunch if stuff into one line ....that gets pres., temp., and idiot light all in one location and less to unhook when removing the engine :D

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:41 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

DixieBoysRacing wrote:
I didn't know boring people got chubbys Gary.

Age and wisdom trumps youth and exuberance every time Boyd...... 8)

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:53 pm 

The oil thing is great! I love it. So easy to work with and looks great!

[/quote]Age and wisdom trumps youth and exuberance every time Boyd...... [/quote]

Haha! What about when it comes to the ladies? hmmm Gary :mrgreen: Youth and Exuberance (i dont even know what that means)(prolly cause I wasn't born in the 20's)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

cool gauges but that not waterproof thing would be my down fall.if it didnt rain in it or get splashed in id probly spill a beer in it.lol then kim (wife aka gaslady as firebug calls her)would be jumping my ass for alcohol abuse and i still would be out a set of gauges,i got the same luck as larry with that kinda stuff.but i will for sure be buying me one of those oil adapter plates that would get your switches and lines tucked in and outta the way and be alot shorter,never seen one before but will own one for sure,id say you might have just sold a few of these things.call'em up and ask for comission.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:30 pm 

HAHA! Alcohol ABUSE! LOL. Yea but most gauges aint weather proof but just have less sensitive electronics in them. Or a little better sealed. These gauges use all factory made wiring harnesses so the back of the gauges have several plug spots open. So you just gotta be carefull with them. On my new car I hope to mount them in a dash area box that should be pretty protective. I understand exactly where you are coming from though. I'm gonna have to be carefull. And I don't drink. haha no abuse

That oil plate is great! I had no idea about it and the sales lady mentioned it and I looked at it and I was like wow thats smart. Great purchase! I do need to call them and be the new buggy sales representative.

JUST TIGHTEN THE GROUND BOLT! lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

what about sealing the backs with some kinda waterproof sealer for your plugs,maybe silicone or wax or something like that.they sale some cool marine grade dashboards if your going with a dash,can weatherproof every thing but the face of them with these and then just put some of those clear camera screen savers on the lenses.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:53 pm 

You might could seal up the back with some silicone but it would leave it nasty when you wanted to unplug it. The lenses have two buttons sticking out of them which makes things more interesting. I think the best thing would be to mount them in a box that is mostly weather proof. I think youd be ok then. Just put a small visor over the top of the faces or something for a little more protection. I priced autometers gauges that are closet to matching these. No peak recall, beep warnings or flash warnings and not digital. $420 bucks... thats 3 gauges...

The hood on my new car has a hood scoop looking design raised above the lower windshield bar on the hood. Im going to mount them in that. Kinda like set in a couple of inches for more protection and built a box behind them to kinda seal them up and hold wires and stuff. Should turn out well. I will prolly make some kinda of plastic cover to go over the faces when I travel in the rain.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:54 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

DixieBoysRacing wrote:
The oil thing is great! I love it. So easy to work with and looks great!

turboblue wrote:
Age and wisdom trumps youth and exuberance every time Boyd......

Haha! What about when it comes to the ladies? hmmm Gary :mrgreen: Youth and Exuberance (i dont even know what that means)(prolly cause I wasn't born in the 20's)

You sure screwed that quote up........I fixed it for ya rookie........... :roll:

Get off my lawn punk......... :)

I have no trouble with the ladies.
I grew up in the free love/free sex era.
Only thing you had to worry about then could be cured with either penicillin or an ice pic and some lighter fluid.......... :D

Anyway, back on topic.......Can you flush mount those in some sort of gauge panel or box you mentioned easily?
Any kind of flange on the face that might allow that?
Are the face themselves all solid glass/plastic.
I really like the looks of those.

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:21 pm 

Are you kidding? I screw EVERYTHING up. haha! I grew up in the 80's era of didn't get any till I was like 17. Been several months now. NO I am not married. LOL Oh sorry wait back on topic.

The gauges are just like any regular 2 1/4? 52mm gauges. They come with the little C clamp thing and two nuts on the back to hold it against whatever they are mounted to. I have my 3 mounted in that little cheap 3 gauges pod set you get from like autozone. Comes with 3 little cheap gauges mounted in a universal 3 gauge chrome mounting bracket. So they mount just like a regular gauges that size.

The faces are convex? (rounded outward) And are solid with your normal bezel around the outer edge. It would be solid but it has two little buttons coming out of the face to set the gauges and stuff. When the gauge is turned off it goes solid black. But the inner gauge panel you see is set back in behind the lens.

I will try to get a video when my motor is back in. The picture was with my phone and kinda looks hazzy. Also bad lighting for camera phone. Hopfully tonight I can get one up. Waiting for ups to show up with pressure plate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:59 pm 

Here is the video guys. Bout 5 min long. I hope it can answer all the questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9zG84UBicU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:25 pm 
Global moderator

Super Cool,,,I would like to get them someday. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:28 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

cool,but i could not deal with that beeping,i was hoping you would have made it stop during the video but im glad you posted it if anybody was interested in these they got a first hand look at them. :mrgreen:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring