It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:59 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:11 pm 

Ok I got a good one for yall!

At one point in time I had a small amp wired directly to battery. Just + to + and - to -. Then two speakers. It sounded great... before you cranked the motor. As soon as you cranked the motor the sound became choppy and distorted. The higher the RPM the more distorted it got. Like didn't even sound like music.

NOW, I have just ordered and installed a set of DIGITAL needle gauges. I love them. So pretty. When you turn IGN on they run the start up sequence and everything is fine. Then crank the motor..... BOOM they start flickering. Then rev the motor a little, the completely shut off and restart. Flicker Flicker Restart and Restart. They stay on at a low smooth idle, but bring up the rpms and they kinda start to dim a little off and on. Then bring up the rpms a little more and they flicker. A little more and they shut off, go black, and restart. Ive checked all the wiring for loose connections. They aint loose. Tried wiring in different routes. Nothing....

I think this is related to the "interference" like the radio was having from the alternator or iGN. Someone told me you need a condenser or something? Thats all they knew though. I'm so depressed now. They are sooo pretty. And I don't know what to do. Please help

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:01 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Could it be your performance plug wires? I know with hot rod street stuff, you cant run solid core wires or you will get all kinds of radio interference (front engine v8). (I never cared, would rather hear a healthy engine than the radio anyways :wink: )

BUT, never heard of them messin with digital gauges. :?:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:08 am 

I run some big Taylor wires. But I had the interference with the radio before I had the big wires. It wasent a wine kinda sound interference. It was like scrambling the sound all together. The higher the rpm the worse it would get. Same with the gauges. But I have been told this is a problem more common to a vw or something.

If no one can tell me how to fix I got 3 autometers picked out.... FOR 470 bucksssss!!!! gezzz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:18 am 
BOTM Winner

It does sound like high frequency distorsion. If you are running points than replace your condensor especialy if your running a Tach. Is your Ignition and coil on its own circuit? Are the plug wires resistence type? Putting a capacitor on the +12 feed to your gauges will help filter out noise backfeeding to them. make sure you have seperate grounds to the radio and gauges. You may want to consider running shielded cable from your sending units to your gauges if the wires are in the same harness as the Ignition system . Ground the shields on one end near the gauges. Pulse generators like FETs on speedos need shielded cable more than oil pressure sending units etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:42 am 

How about TIGHT THE DAMN GAUGE GROUND BOLT! Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :roll:

I'm sorry for wasting yalls time. I will delete this post tonight. So I don't look like a complete idiot. haha! Thanks Ody for that info. Thats some good stuff there. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring