It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:20 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:49 pm 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

Any do's or dont's I should know? Any tips hints or something you wish ya hadn't done come to mind.

I have found a few threads on wiring harness and general concensus leans towards building your own. I have got my box half way prepared for my relays and fuse block. If anyone is interested I will be taking pics along the way and ask for feedback.

Some thoughts about my wire job.

My intial thinking is 6 relays wired in, may not use them all at first but I want to be able to add stuff later without too much hassle. My spade fuse block has room for six circuits.

Engine pcm is wired and should be ready, except for pulling the signal from the pcm to power on the fans. I also wanted to wire in a toggle switch to override the pcm signal so I can turn them on manually if need be.

Fuel pump relay will be kicking on via my altenator dummy light wire. As long as the motor is turning the fuel pump should work. That way in case of a fook up, once the motor stops, the fuel pump stops.

I really like Roy's set up on his buggy, I will be copying mine somewhat like his but I gurantee it won't be as pretty.

I'm using pro series 30 amp Relays from (Autozone or Advanced). Anyone have any good or bad to say about these?

Everything is subject to change as I go. I'm not set in stone about anything if something makes sense.

Battery mounting ideas. I was thinking of placing in the floor in front of the passenger seat if I can find a battery box to my liking. Any ideas there would be great.

Wish me Luck,
Bryan

PS sorry if i slurred my words, i have a few coldies in me :)

Last edited by Bad Influence on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:30 am 

The only thing that caught my eye is the fuel pump relay being on when the engine is running.

That's good, but also make sure it runs a bit before you start the engine. For an FI engine (I think that's what you're running?), you need the pressure built up first for the injectors.

That might've been what you meant, but just making sure.
My PCM sends a signal to the relay whenever it wants the pump to run, so when the key is turned on the pump runs for about 2 seconds and then stops, until you start turning the engine over.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:53 pm 

RailHomie wrote:
The only thing that caught my eye is the fuel pump relay being on when the engine is running.

That's good, but also make sure it runs a bit before you start the engine. For an FI engine (I think that's what you're running?), you need the pressure built up first for the injectors.

That might've been what you meant, but just making sure.
My PCM sends a signal to the relay whenever it wants the pump to run, so when the key is turned on the pump runs for about 2 seconds and then stops, until you start turning the engine over.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Thanks!

I was wondering about that. I originally was just gonna hook the fuel pump up to the ignition but didn't like the idea of it running all the time. I will have to check the pcm and see which wire turns the fuel pump on. Do I need both to run the fuel pump? or should the output from the pcm be enough? I don't know what tells the pcm to turn the fuel pump off in case of the engine shutting down.

I still haven't found a good schematic of my mid 90's saturn pcm. I have found some basic ones but none with the connectors identified. Just wire colors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:10 pm 
WB Contributor

You should try getting a schem. from shop key or all data. they are very good ones. On my suby the pcm controls the relay. If you cant get one try purple rail, he said he could get one. If not let me know, I'll get one for you from one of my customers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:33 am 
WB Videographer

Hope that helps. Good luck![/quote]

thats the way mine is too....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:27 pm 

Yeah. I'm not sure if the PCM would sense if the engine quits or not, it seems like it would. If it does, then it would shut the pump off in about 2 seconds, just as if you just turned the ignition on, I would think. You could probably figure that one out with a little experimentation.

On mine though, I'm putting in an extra switch in line with the relay power so that I can manually turn the pump off (or accidentally leave it off when trying to start and then start fussing and cussing about the engine not starting) no matter what the PCM tells it. :)

Also, try going to autozone.com to their repair/maintenance section on the site and select your vehicle, etc. and they have a lot of good wiring diagrams for most cars(free download). That's where I got mine! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:27 pm 

Cross post, but thought it should be here also.
This is what I came up for my fuse and relay box.
Two plates cut out to fit id of ammo box. Mounted u bolts on bottom to have space for wires. Handles on top for spacers for fuse block and relays. All sprayed with rubberized coating.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:17 am 

wow, that's nice. I like it alot.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Very nice! Well coordinated!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:02 pm 

RailHomie wrote:
wow, that's nice. I like it alot.

DVS1 wrote:
Very nice! Well coordinated!

Thanks guys, trying to decide the best way to hold it all in place but easy to get too in a hurry. May just use a couple of pieces of foam to hold pressure on the plates when I close the lid.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring