It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:51 pm 

I FINALLY got the buggy running pretty well. The wiring job is terrible. I do not have a "dummy-light" and I have to dump the clutch to kill it. There is a main switch though.

A friend of mine is saying that we could easily build a custom harness with a fuse box. However, I have seen several wiring kits. I'm thinking about building one to reframe from too many splices on a already built "harness". I'll be powering Two forward lights, two rear, rear taillights, fuel pump, coil (obviously), oil pressure gauge and temp guage, and possibly a fan for an oil cooler.

Have yall had better luck building a harness, or buying one? I know y'all will point me the right way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:25 pm 
WB Contributor

I made my own harness it wasnt real hard but with all the wire and connecters and such i had almost as much in it as if i would have bought a premade harness. the best part about making it yourself is is making it exactly how you want it. if you decide to do it yourself DO NOT buy cheap terminals they dont hold very well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 pm 

Dito what HP said, but I had more into mine than it cost to buy one... Of course I bought a bunch of the smaller spool wires in various gages.. I vote buy one and u still get the experience of doing it itself.. And get the basic kit.. Also ditto for solder on fittings, no cheap stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:37 pm 
WB Contributor

Building a harness is very basic especially for a dune buggy. There are marine fuse blocks that can be purchased for not much cash or you can use a solder in line fuse setup. I suggest using a inexpensive relay for your head lights or driving lights it will make your switches live forever. Since I run a WC engine I have relays for the fuel pump and cooling fans.

On the last few buggies I have built I used a flexible black tubing found a the Home Depot in the irrigation isle it is 3/4" ID and will work with the plastic seal tight electrical connectors. I run overhead consoles so I just ran it under my roof back down the cage then distributed my engine wires from there.

The most important thing is to use fine stranded automotive wire. I have used commercial grade stranded wire but I always get it for free from my electricians. Search the site and you will find several great wiring diagrams.

Best of luck, you can do this yourself with a little work. 3M makes good crimp on and solder connections.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:33 pm 

http://www.rebelwire.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
I bought the 4 blade fuse block from summit for 2.95 it's the same one they sell for 8.00 alot of their stuff is others just marked up because they are a specialty place .
The brand at summit was dorman . Good find on that place cause they have alot that others don't !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:55 pm 

http://www.delcity.net/

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring