It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:09 am 
WB Contributor

I don't know if you are tall or average in height, I have had a buggy in the past with a center console and got my leg beat the crap out of. Looking at some of your earlier pictures it looks real tight. You can always pad it. Just an observation. It looks nice all shiny. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am 

I guess average (5/10 190+ pounds). Man this rail is so small its hard to tuck things away... the console is the best I could come up with... I figure I can shove things in it and not lose room.

What do you think about my ideas? cut hole in console or stick to my current plan and just bolt it in the rear electrical box I already have and clean it up after?

My gut tells me to go with console... but if I don't like it at the end it would be trash... However if it works it would end up making the wiring a lot easier I think. Cause everything would be closer to the distance it was made for.

that being said its not a big deal to splice the wire and not risk trashing my console too... however it looks like a simple concept... all I need to do is mark the outer diameter of the electrical box and then take my cut off tool and cut the box out... then slide the electrical box in and add some epoxy and put two bolts in for strength on the other side. then it would have the lid to screw on to the side to cover it up.

thoughts...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:55 am 
WB Contributor

I get it totally. I am merely pointing out a potential problem. There are always compromises when building a buggy. What would you think about using a ammo can for 30.06 rounds skinny and you could partition it with some sheet metal and use it for spare fuses and other small parts.

Again it is a personal preference. Just a thought but you could put the ammo can between the seats for an arm rest if you have the room. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:17 pm 

I have about an inch between the seats... Wish I had a different frame to work with... But it is what it is... I am going to cut the console... At the end of the day I will hate myself, or be happy with the idea... In the end it may put me out some console cash... Or get me where I need to be for the fuse box.

Let's see what happens :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:39 pm 
WB Contributor

What ever you use to cut the aluminum add a little lubricant and it will cut easier.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:15 pm 

it may be in here but didn't see it, if you are looking for a weather proof box go to lowes or a electrical supply house, you should be able to pick up a plastic weather proof box for a little of nothing. has mounting tabs on them and then use a 3/4 or 1/2" male connector to install in box and once you are done with the install , fill the connector with silicone to water proof it.
good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:03 pm 

Thanks JRV... I did get that CANTEX electrical box... Good idea on the silicone, I will do that ...

Well after about an hour of cutting and grinding while expecting to trash it... this is where I am at... I still need to cut a hole for the ignition switch and the battery cutoff... but I am pretty happy so far... at least its not trashed yet... I am running to the store to pick up some hole saw bits to knock it out, then I will mount the fuse box and get some more pics...

I am going to mount the fuse box on 1 inch spacers so its closer to the opening... I will then just try to finalize the console for today I guess... trying to get the thing mounted to the frame as well... I wasn't sure if I was going to use it so I never put anything on to bolt it to... so I need to tack something in quick so its solid.

will be glad once this is all out of the way...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:37 pm 

Almost there... Need to get a reamer bit to get the auxiliary plug in and I am done with the console and can move to the fuse box (which is where I wanted to be this morning... Not sure if I will get the console mounted today but it will be close. Ignore the finger prints... shiny stuff attracts them... If I keep any of this stuff I would get it powder coated to de bling ;)

Lid will be almost flush when its all bolted up:

I am OK with it all.. at least for now... everything I do makes me want a bigger frame.. but no time soon... with all this work I gotta at least have fun with it... I am off to the store agn looking for a 1 inch reamer...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:56 pm 

I might be done for the day... I was hoping to get the fuse box inside the water tight box... but as it is I still need to figure that out...

my stopping point:

Not all bad... still need to drill for bolts and lock it all down... also need to make some holes in the water tight box for the wire to pass through... this is still a challenge.... I may just make one hole big enough to pass the wire through and work with it from there...

More to follow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:10 pm 

That's a great idea and a great use of space. Looks like some creative thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:02 pm 
BOTM Winner

Be careful with "water tight"! It works 2 ways if water cant drain out it sits in the box causing problems better to go for weather tight and do a drain @ the low point so you dont have trapped water on your electric? If the box is sealed it will not take on water through the drain due to the positive pressure (neutral?) and will still reamain dry, dont ask me how i know!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:18 am 

Well even though it turned out looking like a battle bot instead of a console I thought I would show my current progress... I should have it all in this weekend...

I am trying to figure out how to hook up the Ignition Switch now so I can be done with it... So far I think this is right:
I am guessing its: (I might be all wrong here)
#1 Red - Battery - Same Red Of Harness (Both go to the same one)
#2 Yellow/Red Stripe - Start - Purple of Harness
#3 Orange - Accessory - Brown Of Harness
#4 Purple - Ignition - Orange of Harness
#5 Purple - Ignition - Pink Of Harness
#6 Red - Battery - Same Red Of Harness (Both go to the same one)

I am guessing based on this info:

and

http://www.colehersee.com/assets/files/ ... dD-613.pdf

And the plug order is:
#1 Red - Battery
#2 Yellow/Red Stripe - Start
#3 Orange - Accessory
#4 Purple - Ignition
#5 Purple - Ignition
#6 Red - Battery

Harness:
Brown - Ignition Switch Accessory
Red - Ignition Switch Power
Orange - Ignition Switch Ignition
Pink - Coil
Purple - Ignition Switch Start

What do you guys think? Will my diagram work... I will be researching this today... hope to solder it up tonight.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring