It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: buggy radio
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:41 pm 

Lol. Sometimes I dont think my buggy likes me at all. Im stumped on this one. Ill try some stuff this weekend see what I can figure out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:08 pm 
WB Contributor

Ripinitup wrote:
It works great as long as the buggy isnt running. Start her up and the music stops. Shut it off and the music plays again.

bad ground irritated by vibration from motor?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:18 pm 

Ill check all connections saturday. Thanks for the help ill post back then with what I find. No tunes is bad :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:32 pm 

Ripinitup wrote:
Anyone have any ideas?

some thoughts?
bad ground
to much electrical noise on the line causing the Amp to cut out. (in-line filter)
check the spec sheet on the AMP it may be getting too much power causing it to shut off.
i know you said that it comes off your fuse block , have you check to see if you are getting power through the fuse block while running?
good luck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:43 pm 
WB Contributor

let us know what you found becau :P se that's what I want. The motor is music while I drive!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:08 am 

Ok so....... Got the trusty meter out and I have 12v at the amp at all times . When the buggy is running and when its off so thats good. Now from the ground on the amp to my frame i have 0 ohms with ing. turned off. When I turn the ing. on it jumps to 20 ohms. When buggy is running it jumps to 40 ohms. I have no idea what that means. Battery is grounded to trans. Hot and ground for fuse box come straight from the battery. Hot and ground to amp come straight from fuse box and remote wire goes from fuse box to switch then to amp. All connections are good. Now what? Engine and trans are hard mounted. From battery ground to anywhere on buggy I have 0 ohms.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:08 am 

Sweet job on the box Rick. Looks store Baught.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:08 pm 
WB Contributor

are you disconnecting everything to check it or leaving it hooked up? run a temporary wire from battery ground to as close as you can get it to the radio. if this works take your ground from the radio and terminate it to ground as soon as you can like a bolt or screw close to the radio.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:08 am 

Ok ill try that today thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:56 pm 

I grounded amp 6 inchs from its location with no luck. I didnt run the battery ground close to the amp tho. Would it be better to just run a ground wire directly from the battery to the amp?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:08 pm 

Ripinitup wrote:
Ok so....... Got the trusty meter out and I have 12v at the amp at all times . When the buggy is running and when its off so thats good. Now from the ground on the amp to my frame i have 0 ohms with ing. turned off. When I turn the ing. on it jumps to 20 ohms. When buggy is running it jumps to 40 ohms. I have no idea what that means. Battery is grounded to trans. Hot and ground for fuse box come straight from the battery. Hot and ground to amp come straight from fuse box and remote wire goes from fuse box to switch then to amp. All connections are good. Now what? Engine and trans are hard mounted. From battery ground to anywhere on buggy I have 0 ohms.

Well, for some reason, when the switch is on and when the buggy is running, you are losing your ground, as it should always be 0 ohms no matter if your ignition switch is on or not. If its not blowing fuses, it wouldn't make sense for a positive wire shorting out on a ground. Could possibly be some wires aren't insulated well and the grounds are picking up a bit of power causing the resistance. I forget the proper term, bleed through or something like that.

If everything else is working, I would run a ground from the radio straight to the battery and see if that doesn't cure your problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 am 

Ok. I will try that when I get back to the garage. Thanks for the feedback. Ill let everyone know if that works.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:05 pm 

sorry to dig up an old thread but was wanting to get some opinions on a radio I'm looking at buying.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150890857226?ss ... 1423.l2649

It's for a motorcycle but looks like a decent setup for the money. Can use USB flashdrive or SD card is what I like about it. Of coarse it accepts MP3 player/IPOD, etc as well. Anyone running one of these or had any dealings with one???

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:51 pm 
WB Contributor

looks like you cant switch tracks from the remote. i only see play/pause and volume buttons. im sure im wrong but that would suck unless you mount the amp within arms reach. 300 watts should be enough for 2 speakers. I definately like the speakers

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:28 pm 

I see what you're saying and even in the description it says " . A wireless remote control with play/pause, volume up, volume down, and mute buttons". I'm planning on mounting it overhead anyways if possible. Also, I'm thinking I might order this marine radio enclosure in link below to mount the amp so I won't necessarily have to mount it over-head out of the way. could possibly mount it on cross bar (bar that steering shaft attaches to).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350777589292?ss ... 1423.l2649

My birthday is 22nd of this month so told the wife this radio is what I wanted, so at least it will be something she can somewhat get enjoyment out of too. So she won't have to hear all the squeaks and such from the buggy... :roll: Wish someone around here had something similar to this so I could get idea of what these speakers sound like. Guess we'll see shortly! I already know she ordered it today... :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:36 pm 
WB Contributor

I love asking my wife for something then watching the credit card for that exact charge :lol: its getting real hard to act suprised when i recieve it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:17 pm 

well luckily UPS ran early this morning and my radio came in. It was supposed to be a Bday present but I my Bday isn't until the 22nd, I managed to talk her into giving it to me early. Since we're planning on a ride sunday I insisted we needed some tunes for the ride! 8) Didn't snap any pics of it installed but it's not fancy enough to be takin pictures of. Managed to squeeze in a short ride just around the farm before work and couldn't be anymore satisfied for the money. I think the total came to right at $93 with free shipping. By the description on ebay it shows The wireless remote only being able to volume +/-, mute, mode, & play/pause. Turns out you are able to skip tracks with remote also. Just have to hold volume buttons down 2 seconds

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring