It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:03 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternator Light Problem
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:25 pm 
WB Videographer

I have a standard VW alternator on both of my buggies. When I start up the wife's buggy, the light stays on until I rev it up then it goes out and stays out. Seems to charge okay but it is kind of annoying. On mine, the light goes out as soon as the engine starts up.

Anybody had this problem? What can I do to fix it? I have a piece of 6 gauge wire leftover from a winch kit running from the B+ to the battery, so there is no problem with wire size.

Thanks,

Dale

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:39 pm 
WB Contributor

The light on both of my buggys stay on until its reved a little. Ive never seen one cut off by just starting up. If its charging I would just pay it no attention. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:47 pm 
WB Contributor

my last buggy and present buggy do the same thing...if the battery gets older it seems like it takes longer before light goes out....or if i sit with lights on and motor off.....just put new starter AND new battery in mine and it goes out almost immediately now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I have the same issue. My light will sometimes start to flicker if I am running at ideal for too long. I just make sure to keep if revved up..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:37 pm 

Yep my buggy does the same thing. But as long as its charging i dont worry about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:19 am 
BOTM Winner

Same here.......no big deal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:37 am 
WB Contributor

mine stays on till you rev it up a bit also, thats how they work i believe. internal rpm shit or something! are they the same or different alt.? i think i remember hearing that it was like 2k rpm berfore it started charging,or i maybe i read it here :roll: :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:05 am 

Im almost sure that alernator's are designed to only start charging after a certain rpm is reached.this design allows the atlernator to last much longer.at its lowest rpm it will begin to charge and will increase in output amps as the rpms go up...I would be more worried about the one that goes out as soon as you start your engine..just sayin!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:25 am 
BOTM Winner

What your experiencing is normal an working the way it should. The Alternator has a minimum excitaion RPM. If Idle is set to low then the light will flicker. The diodes in the alternator direct a high voltage thru the bulb to ground below the excitaion RPM which intern lights the bulb to indicate a non charging condition. Just make sure you always have a good bulb and solid connections otherwise the alternator will not charge.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:24 am 

mine was the same way since i bought it last december. til recently(the night of wheelers hill climb) when it suddenly stopped putting out enough voltage when my lights were on. on the other hand flipping the wires on it causes it to run 15 volts all the time. which i know cause i have a gauge and no light. but no matter which way they are on the alternator it drains the battery 80% percent of the time now. in a half hour or less at that. not all the time. stayed charged for 2 weeks before which had me hunting for other issues like the accessory side of my ignition staying partially drawn.granted when i connect hot lead off the starter now it also arcs like its drawing power somewhere too,like hooking a battery up with the lights on. might not help ya with any of this but i wouldnt be surprised if it is on its way out like mine seems to be....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:18 pm 

Well atleast I'm not the only one with the on at start up light! Good to know its correct.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:48 pm 
WB Videographer

Hmmm. Has anyone noticed a difference after replacing the alternator? The one on my buggy is newer and higher amp output than the one on the other rail.

Guess I ain't gonna worry about it... 8)

Dale

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring