It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:08 pm 

Buggy starts fine and runs great untill..... the motor gets hot and you shut the engine off and then it will not start.. Swap the coil out and it fires right up or you can push it off and it will fire up easy... I ride probably another 30 min shut the buggy off and then it want start back. I push the buggy on the trailer, take it home (about 1 and half hr drive) the buggy starts and i pull it off the trailer. ???????????????????????????????? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Oh and these are the Blue Bosh coils if that makes any difference.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:50 pm 

I had a similar issue with a factory coil. It would get hot and quit running. I would put the coil in water for a few minutes then it would run again. Come to find out the coil wasn't getting hot it was a wire going to the points. The wire was broken inside the insulation. I can't remember how I found it, but is was a pain.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:41 pm 

See i checked my electronic ignition to make sure everything was squared away there and it seems fine. I just had a guy tell me that there should be 2 hot wires going to my coil.. One hooked to a toggle switch which sends fire to the coil when you turn the power on, then another coming off the starter that is only hot when you hit the ignition switch which will double the fire only when you try to start it. I pulled the coil wire off when it was cold and it had alot more spark then when i done the same thing with it hot.... Im taking all advice into consideration so thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:25 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Bdavis2004 wrote:
I just had a guy (must have been your twin H.M. :shock: )tell me that there should be 2 hot wires going to my coil.. One hooked to a toggle switch which sends fire to the coil when you turn the power on, then another coming off the starter that is only hot when you hit the ignition switch which will double the fire only when you try to start it.

i dont know what is causing your problem (probably a bad wire, connection or switch somewhere), other than it sits in the shop too much without even getting cranked :twisted:

but i have NEVER seen this BS on a vw, one GOOD switched hot to the coil + and then the electronic red wire to the coil+ and the electronic black wire to the coil- is all that is needed

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:37 pm 

I hear you... Hey yall share the same last name so he must be your twin... Yea this thing give me a fit at Bruton Sunday. I bought a couple rolls of wire and a new toggle switch, so i think Tyler and Rodney gonna come over one night this week and see what we can figure out. Oh by the way.. I heard your name get called out a couple times Sunday.. Something about how come when everybody gets together at Bruton, he is know where to be found. I think they drive a solid black one seater or maybe a black and yellow one seater..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:02 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Bdavis2004 wrote:
I hear you... Hey yall share the same last name so he must be your twin...i cant help he wants to be like me, but you still his twin :lol: Yea this thing give me a fit at Bruton Sunday. I bought a couple rolls of wire and a new toggle switch, so i think Tyler and Rodney gonna come over one night this week and see what we can figure out.that should get it straightened out Oh by the way.. I heard your name get called out a couple times Sunday.. Something about how come when everybody gets together at Bruton, he is know where to be found. I think they drive a solid black one seater or maybe a black and yellow one seater..... :lol: :lol: :lol: i told them a week and a half ago to wait till i get back and i would go so they went ahead and went to get some practice, so im just gonna let them simmer for a while :twisted:

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 pm 

If this is a new set up any chance the new coil needs a resistor and it got left off?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:49 pm 

i had the same trouble change the coil then the wire still had the same promblem so i change out the electronic piece and it fixed it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 am 

I have been running this set up for about 3yrs and Im just now starting to have trouble with it. I ran it last night at a fast idle for about 30 min, checked the coil it was fairly hot, cut the engine off, then pulled the coil wire off and turned the engine over and i was getting fire from the coil to the distributor, hooked the coil wire back up turn the engine over and it started right up. I might start looking at the comp fire ignition next. Im going to try ride some trails this afternoon and take an extra coil just in case and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:09 pm 

Problem Fixed.... Bad compu fire... Took my electronics out and replaced them with a new set of points i had laying around and road the buggy all day no problems...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:02 am 

Bdavis2004 wrote:
Problem Fixed.... Bad compu fire... Took my electronics out and replaced them with a new set of points i had laying around and road the buggy all day no problems...

did you have a dirtdobber nest in your distributor cap?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:08 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

JUNKTRADER wrote:
Bdavis2004 wrote:

did you have a dirtdobber nest in your distributor cap?

pretty sure it at least had some cob webs in it, he aint rode it since he turned over at stoney lonesome back in the early spring time :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Chris

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring