It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:21 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:38 am 
Global moderator

I'm gonna add one of these to my buggy,,,,thoughts?????

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/11200/10002/-1?CT=999

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:29 am 

I think it's a good idea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:28 pm 
BOTM Winner

The only thing that would scare me with it is if your say climbin a hill and have a momentary lapse in oil pressure, you would loose fuel pressure. With a carborated engine it would be no big deal, but with a injected engine, its dead on the spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:48 pm 

wondering whta you reasoning is before i say somethin stupid! are you installing so if something drastic happens it cuts fuel off and you dont have a fire hazzard or is it so you know you have lost oil pressure and dont cause engine damage? i have a simple alarm on mine that turns on a light and buzzer if my oil pressure drops below 5 but will not kill engine. just enough to let me know something not right. but wont kill motor on me in a bad spot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:58 pm 

What about start up how many time would it have to turn over to make over 5psi to turn your fuel on?? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:07 pm 
Master fabricator

With a Subie motor, at least with mine because the pick up is in the back of the pan, you should never starve for oil when climbing. Going down hill is another story because of the pick up's location. Going down hill all the oil goes to the front (down hill) of the pan and away from the pick up. Any time I've lost oil pressure, I was going down hill. Before anyone says shut it off going down hill, not with power steering. So if you were to drop oil pressure going down hill and loose power steering, especially with a Char linn ??? your screwed.
Keep It Simple & Stupid.
I thought you were going to dry sump yours? If you are, no need for a safety.

G
A

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:25 pm 
Global moderator

Dry sump is on hold till funds are available...I was thinking this might save an engine,,,or in case of rollover to help prevent fire hazard too. The computer would still allow for starting,,or if not my accusump would. I am afraid I would not see my dumby light ,, I get tunnel visioned some times :oops: .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:44 pm 

i get tunnel vision too. buzzer is lond as hell though. to point of bein annoying! it goes off everytime you start it. mine is on a vw but kit will work on anything. screws in a pressurised port and simple power lead. with a tee can still run gauge to. think i paid out 30 bucks at a vw shop in akron ohio called la products. and on a side note that is a great mom and pop shop with tons of stuff and really good prices! machine work and trans repair/building too

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:17 pm 

MadMike wrote:
. So if you were to drop oil pressure going down hill and loose power steering, especially with a Char linn ??? your screwed.

If your moving it not bad to steer with no power and char-lynn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:21 pm 
WB Contributor

i can see both sides of this debate marty :wink: have you ordered it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 pm 
BOTM Winner

It is best to have a red light to warn you of the oil pressure drop and the pressure shut off switch IMO is nothing but a accident waiting to happen, if you want a safety setup like shutting off the fuel and stuff related to it, it is just best to reach over and kill the ignition, it may be a possible way of not thinking about doing it when you are just about to roll, you will need to practice it like shutting it off in case you did'nt make it up a hill and it will help you react to shut it off anyhow regardless of what happens until you get the situation under control.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:51 pm 

Marty I say if it will give you a piece off mind for only $22.00 then just do it. If it works that's great if not take it off, no harm no foul.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:05 am 
Global moderator

I ordered one,,,It may take some getting used to but I aint got any more donor engines and the dry sump is a little ways off right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:08 am 
WB Contributor

Firebug wrote:
I ordered one,,,It may take some getting used to but I aint got any more donor engines and the dry sump is a little ways off right now.

then it sounds like to me the way to go! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:03 pm 

Just use the stock subaru oil pressure switch. the polarity is wrong, but you'd just need a SPDT, or SPST normal-off, relay to fix that. it's designed to make a connection to ground when oil pressure drops below 5psi or so.

You'll want some sort of override (button maybe?) to make sure the fuel system can prime before the engine turns over.

If you want it as an engine cut, I would probably use it to cut the power supply to the ignition coil, injectors, or even just the ECU. cutting power to the fuel pump wouldn't cause an immediate drop to zero fuel pressure, and the drop in pressure might cause a lean condition before it actually dies. which might make it worse.

I'm putting a 4.3 Chevy V6 in my toyota 4runner right now. And it has a circuit like that from the factory. Actually, it's a dual sensor that has one wire, which is a resistance-to-ground for an oil pressure gauge. and 2 more that are for a fuel cutoff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I would put it to the ignition and not to the fuel pump.if it quits on low oil pressure at least it's not starving your motor out of fuel.if it kills it just turn the key off to cut the power every where else.the warning light does work I'm bad to be looking at everything but the road but as soon as that light or my charge light comes on it's like instant red flag,you will see it.but the buzzer would be good also no matter what you wire it to,i would not run it with out one,imo.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 am 

If you are going to install this on your buggy to interrupt your fuel pump, I'd put it on a time delay relay. That would account for all of the concerns about momentary lapse of oil pressure. Depending on whether or not this switch is N/O or N/C will depend on what you need and how you wire it. Time delay relays are adjustable so you can set it to the max amount of time you want to leave the pump on with low oil pressure. You could even have an override buttone like was suggested above. I would assume that with low pressure it opens up, so you could do something like this:

When you have oil pressure the relay is pulled in sending power to your fuel pump. When you lose pressure the relay will time delay off for however long you set it. You can override this action by holding in your override push button.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 am 

I always like safety precaution, but i think it could be bad unless you have a timed control like kyle mentioned... I like lights and buzzers as ive always used them but when i get a few drinks in me they just tend to annoy me more than anything... :lol:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring