It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:32 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perfect Buggy Radio
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:06 pm 

I have been a stereo guy about 25 years longer than I have been a woodsbuggy guy. Pretty much since I was 4 and figured out how to turn up the volume on my parents' big Marantz house speakers. It has also led me to owning my own stereo business. That being said: I always keep an eye out for the most appropriate radio for any occasion. If your cramped on space (when aren't you in a buggy) check out the Clarion Marine CMS 1. It is a gps sized controller with a full function display that is fully marine (and magical Haspin Mud) rated and can be gimble mounted. It has a hideaway brain box that fits easily in an ammo box. It plays AM/FM/WB and has a usb for IPOD or Memory Stick (my personal choice for the trails). It has no CD unit but who cares when u can throw an 8GB stick at it and never hear the same song twice in a weekend. Also well into the third roll down your favorite hill you will still be hearing your favorite jams! Easily had on Ebay for about $200. Also,(if a GPS is too big) you can put that in the ammo box too and get a 2 1/16th gauge style controller that also plugs into it for about $100. If you have an unlimited budget that is the simplest one in the line up. They even have one that plays movies and is still 100% marine rated. Thanks to this site for the wealth of knowledge. Here is my contribution.

Post subject: Re: Perfect Buggy Radio
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:34 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

lngtrvl2332 wrote:
I have been a stereo guy about 25 years longer than I have been a woodsbuggy guy. Pretty much since I was 4 and figured out how to turn up the volume on my parents' big Marantz house speakers. It has also led me to owning my own stereo business. That being said: I always keep an eye out for the most appropriate radio for any occasion. If your cramped on space (when aren't you in a buggy) check out the Clarion Marine CMS 1. It is a gps sized controller with a full function display that is fully marine (and magical Haspin Mud) rated and can be gimble mounted. It has a hideaway brain box that fits easily in an ammo box. It plays AM/FM/WB and has a usb for IPOD or Memory Stick (my personal choice for the trails). It has no CD unit but who cares when u can throw an 8GB stick at it and never hear the same song twice in a weekend. Also well into the third roll down your favorite hill you will still be hearing your favorite jams! Easily had on Ebay for about $200. Also,(if a GPS is too big) you can put that in the ammo box too and get a 2 1/16th gauge style controller that also plugs into it for about $100. If you have an unlimited budget that is the simplest one in the line up. They even have one that plays movies and is still 100% marine rated. Thanks to this site for the wealth of knowledge. Here is my contribution.

ive never had anything clarion (allways been more of a alpine or pioneer "old school brand stuff" guy myself as far as head units go) but this sounds like it worth looking into, you a link so we know we looking at the right one?

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:47 pm 

Clarion has been around longer than most people think and they have always been an innovator. I think this will lead you to their website.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2 ... 21043.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:13 pm 

awesome info. I just put a stereo system in my buggy. this would be sweet. I just hooked an amp to 4 speakers and my ipod.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:28 am 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

Looks like a pretty sweet setup for buggying!!! Maybe my winter project. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:47 pm 

been seriously lookin into putting in a radio. now ready to bite the bullet. this head unit looks perfect for what i want. next question is what have you all been usin for speakers? and where mountin then at? i not lookin for a show stopping sound. just a little somethin. and my pressure washer is my best friend!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:47 pm 

MTX Thunder Marine has very nice weather proof speakers for reasonable price. They make them in several sizes all the way up to 7.7" (good bass for the price). I had a set in my last buggy. I wouldn't directly hit any speaker with a pressure washer, but you can spray them with hose pressure all day long and not hurt them. The only thing I did to mine to improve on their design was cut up an old black tshirt and glue it inside the grill cover for the speaker to keep the BIG mud clumps from getting inside. Also if you can, put them in an enclosure (roughly .3 cu ft) for each speaker. You will get more bass, more power handling, and better overall sound if the speaker has a cabinet to work in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:12 pm 

thnx for the info!! :mrgreen:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring