It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Subaru Wiring Issues.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:13 pm 

I'm currently in the process of wiring a 95 2.2L OBDII Subaru engine in my buggy. I've been working off of factory service manual wiring diagrams that are very good, showing all components and wire color going to them. I'm confident that I have all of my power distribution and grounding circuit wires landed properly. In looking at the diagrams you'll find there are wires that are ignition hot, one that is battery hot all the time, and one that is hot in the "start" position off the key.
When I go to start the engine, the response is endless cranking or it will fire but only momentarily and then will die.
I've verified that I have correct fuel pressure and it's getting out to the injectors, spark on all four plugs, that the idle air control solenoid is working correctly, and that all of my vacuum hoses are pluged or routed correctly. I have my pressure sensor/vacuum control solenoid hooked up, as well as the ignitor for the coil pack, mass air flow sensor, and all of the sensors that are involved with the engine harness such as crank position sensor etc. I've gotten the engine to run by choking it with my hand and then throttling it up immediately, and it was running smooth and strong, and then without reason it just shut down after several seconds.
Going off of the fact that the motor was running all the way until it was pulled, I'm thinking the issue has to be with the wiring and/or the computer itself. Any of you guys that have done this before, what all inputs did you have to feed the computer other than what I have listed above? Am I being shut down because it's not seeing the transmission control module, or the ABS system etc etc? In talking with Steve he said that he had to power everything correctly and his motor took right off. At this point I'm really at a loss for where to go next, as I've covered all of the obvious shit.
Any thoughts or idea's would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:54 pm 
Global moderator

Make sure you have enough fuel pressure. Make sure you did not leave a big vacuum hose off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:43 pm 

You said you have spark and you have fuel TO the injectors but are the injectors firing? Ues a test light at the injector plug and have someone crank the eng to see if light blinks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:36 pm 

I just wired up an ecotec and run into the same thing. It was the wires going to the crank sensor. One was broke inside the coating. I guess when the harness was pulled. Run a continuity test on both wires individually. And make sure they are not grounding together. That should be what controls the firing of your injectors. And sometimes the test light won't respond fast enough. You can go to your local advance and rent some noids to test your injectors. Hope this helped.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:27 pm 
WB Contributor

I wired up my passat and sometimes just for no reason I will crank endlessly. And it will poot a few times trying to crank. But if I flip the toggle switch off to the fuel pump for about 15 secs as I spin, it will fire rite up.. It may be the fuel inj or coil pack toggle switch but I think its the fuel pump switch.Turn one of those off for a little bit while you crank.(15secs)Maybe because the engine is flooding?If I run only 1 o2 sensor my plugs fuel foul out after 25 hours of operation.ALWAYS disconnect your battery b4 you weld!(computer)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 pm 
BOTM Winner

The computer may have a theft mode. Not sure my motor came 95 subaru impreza didn't have no issues.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:06 am 
Global moderator

If I run mine out of fuel I will have to disconnect the fuel line and let the air out before it will crank.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:01 am 

After working on it last night I know I have power out to all of my injectors but I don't think they're being fired. Using a test light I'm getting nothing on the injector plugs but like Terry said I won't know for sure unless I get an actual tester made for injectors. I'll have to check into the crank and cam position sensors a little more thoroughly to make sure they are operational.
This is driving me nuts, most of the guys I talk to said they put power to the harness and were good to go. Are you guys using the stock relays- main relay/ fuel pump relay? I decided not to use them and just power the output side of the contacts as they would be with the relay energized. Am I getting screwed because the computer isn't realizing any current draw on the coil wire?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:09 am 
BOTM Winner

I use stock relays.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:18 am 
Global moderator

I use stock relays too,,,them computers can see some tiny resistance thingys sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:56 am 

Alright I got the motor running smoothly. I changed two things at the same time so it's hard for me to say which one, if not both were the problem. I decided to reinstall the factory main and fuel pump relays. The only thing I could figure was that maybe the computer sensed that there was no current draw on the coil wire and in turn would shut the motor down. Also I located and put "start" position voltage to the shift interlock wire. At that point the motor would fire up and run smoothly on first crank, but when it would go to kick down on low idle it would stall. Once again I mother****ed and paced around going over all of my wiring up to that point. My old man ended up figuring out that issues, though. I knew that when the engine was in an "idle" state that the idle air control solenoid provided fresh air to the intake as the butterfly is closed. I verified that the solenoid was open and it was pulling air. That was where I quit with that line of thought. What I failed to recognize was I didn't have a hose stubbed up from that port to my intake. The IAC solenoid was pulling air, but NOT past the mass air flow sensor. As soon as I gave her a little hose, she purred just fine- life lesson. Figured I would throw up the end results of my trials for future reference. I appreciate all the help you guys have provided me as I worked through it!

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring