It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CB/CB ANTENNA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:57 pm 

Looking into putting a cb in my buggy. Looking for recomendations,minimum requirements,etc. Hate to buy a cb and antenna and not be able to actually reach somebody. Thanks Tony

Post subject: Re: CB/CB ANTENNA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:54 pm 
BOTM Winner

Cobra 29 Classic w/a Fransis 4' Antenna. Anything less is a dissapointment in the Woods!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:54 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

a cobra 25 will talk and hear as much as the 29 and is a little smaller and the fransis, k40, or willson antenas are all good

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:53 am 

I agree with the previous posts!...I have 3 Cobra 29 classics with three differents antenas...the best for me is a Wilson 1000 I would just recomend that you mount the antena in the middle of your roof. that would give you the best send and recieve.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:01 am 
BOTM Winner

ridenrace6 wrote:
a cobra 25 will talk and hear as much as the 29 and is a little smaller and the fransis, k40, or willson antenas are all good

Does the 25 have antenna atenuation?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:49 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Odyknuck wrote:
ridenrace6 wrote:

Does the 25 have antenna atenuation?

its been a while since ive looked at a 25 but if you talking about the built in swr then no the 25 dont, but i always check mine with my inline dosy meter and adjust the antena to get the standing wave ratio right, but the 25 does have rf gain and dynamike like the 29 does

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:27 pm 

When looking at the cobra 29s i see there are many to choose from. Are these all basicaly the same with different trim? I see 29 ltd classic,ltd chrome,29 lx le,29 wx nw bt, 29 ltd bt, etc. Are all of these acceptable as long as i go with the 29 series? Thanks again. I,m a cb virgin and have no clue what to look for in one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:17 pm 
BOTM Winner

Pretty much. I will assume the BT designation is for the Blue tooth models. I have the Classic and Plumberbill has the BT model.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:01 pm 

Thanks guys. I,m going shopping. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:05 pm 
WB Contributor

If my close friends will go back to a cb I will to.There's nothing like fast communication.Hey everybody turn left, who needs anything from the sto? Back dowm this way!Stop! Where are you etc. With cell phones. I lost your number , I was down in a hole, I did not pay my bill, My battery is dead, I did not hear it ringin.I have a dam good one under my bed ready to go.CB's do not send you a bill every month!Mount them in an old air tite ammo box.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:58 pm 
BOTM Winner

passat2800 wrote:
If my close friends will go back to a cb I will to.There's nothing like fast communication.Hey everybody turn left, who needs anything from the sto? Back dowm this way!Stop! Where are you etc. With cell phones. I lost your number , I was down in a hole, I did not pay my bill, My battery is dead, I did not hear it ringin.I have a dam good one under my bed ready to go.CB's do not send you a bill every month!Mount them in an old air tite ammo box.

We mount ours above our head out in the open. No problems yet. Now they do get dusty however a little compressed air and good to go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:11 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

The FCC made all CB to only put out 4 watts to keep down the interference.So if you go to auto zone and get the 35 buck one and take it to your local truck stop and find the CB shop [most all have them in the parking lot] have them turn it up ,tweak it or what ever you want to call it but a cheep CB tuned up with a good antenna will blow a 29 out of the water .Now if you do the same thing to a 29 cobra you got a good CB but I would hate to put one in my buggy at over 120 bucks :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:15 pm 
BOTM Winner

Rock, we have not had good luck with the 35 dollar units. As I recall Plumberbill went thru several of them in one season. Every one we ride with that has them sound like crap and can not make out what they are saying even within a 100 feet. We have been running the 29s for two or more years now and have no Issues other than breaking the anttenas .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:15 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

peaking and tuning, along with clipping the diode so it it swing/modulate goes without saying on any c.b. in my opinion

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:57 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

you cant beat a 29 with a whip antenna imo,i'm running a new kind of antenna now called a tiger shark or land shark something shark i'll have to check and see what it is exactly but it is doing a great job and gets out damn near if not as good as my whip did and is alot shorter easier to mount.before i put the 29 in,i used a radio shack brand water resistance cb.i had it in my old buggy and ran it for over ten years and it was put through hell,pressure washed and everything but i couldnt find another one.really its in your coax and antenna,unless your box has been tweeked anything you buy is going to talk as good just the 29 has more adjustments on the radio.mount it up high and tight keep as much water off as possible and any brand name cb will do a good job imo.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:35 pm 

I agree chad, Good ant, coax, get your swr set as low as you can. all radios going to do about the same on a buggy,imo Yall talked me into it, im putting one in mine now, I want to do some MODGINN BREAKER-BREAKER,and i just got down!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:36 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

is this the 29 everyone is talkin about cause ima put one in my buggy and ima go with the 29 cause everyon e seems to agree on them

https://cobra.com/detail/29-ltd-army.cfm

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:42 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

and could someone post a link of what antenna i should use

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:05 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Man I wish everyone had a CB, sure saves killin the motor and yelling. And the little handhelds are great if they are in your hand, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:06 pm 

K-40 with adjustable end, 4ft the cb, coax,ant needs to be installed,buy or borrow orget cb shop to check swrs.ant adjust on end up or down to get swrs lowest.ant will be different on every vehicle,ground ant bracket to ,bars will have paint on themor mount on roof,not for ROLLOVER MEMBERS on ROOF LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:19 pm 

This topic is pretty old but I ran a Uniden 510pro with a wilson silverload flex in my blazer for YEARS in my blazer....no doors or back, go out in winter with snow on the face of it, brush it off and use it. 50 dollar unit not sure on the antenna it was a cast off from a truck at work but its a fiberglass whip that you can take the tip of and bend it down to the base, was dependable from any point in wellsville, and the uniden is MUCH smaller for a cramped up cocpit.... just another 2 cents to add to the mix

Board index » Tech and Fab » Electrical/Wiring