It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:33 pm 

may be a stupid question, but if a reverse rotation honda motor was bolted to a vw tranny could the motor and tranny be flipped around and run as a mid engine mount? if it could, wouldnt the gears in the tranny be weaker running backwards?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:05 pm 
WB Contributor

Your correct the gears would be weak and wouldnt last

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:10 pm 

honda engines just arent worth the hassle with all the other engine choices out there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:45 pm 
Global moderator

ImmortalSoul219 wrote:
honda engines just arent worth the hassle with all the other engine choices out there.

Maybe some of them but certainly not all of them,,,KYBC has a proven performance Honda :wink: as does Lewis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:08 pm 
BOTM Winner

X2 on mike and lewis's honda motor.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:34 pm 

i just figure there is so much performance stuff for hondas out there, and the motors do last, not to mention i have a '97ish civic with a d16 vtec sitting at my shop....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:40 pm 

anyone?, anyone?, .. mcfly?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:16 pm 
WB Contributor

ive seen truggy builds using the engine sideways.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 pm 

not all honda motors run backwards.Image Honda Acrua 3.2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:23 pm 

trailrider wrote:
not all honda motors run backwards.Image Honda Acrua 3.2

Yea Im still waiting on some vids! You weigh that engine by any chance?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:37 pm 

the motor weights 375lb. the next time i go some where i will try to get some video.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:50 pm 

Immortal Soul what hassles are there with the honda engines.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:13 pm 

When I say honda engines Im talking about the 4 cylinders which most of them turn counterclockwise. Its not worth the hassle of trying to mate these engines to a vw trans axle. The V6 honda in a buggy I bet is and experience. I just see for my type of riding the 100 extra pounds hurting me more then the extra power would help. But if I was in a more mide open high speed stuff Id deff want the power!

The buggy hill climbs was an awesome event and really shows the advantages and disadvantages of different setups for the stuff I do.

Not any V6 running around where I do and would really like to run across a few to see how they do. Ive got a toyota 1mz sitting in the garage all ready to be put in a buggy. Just havent got around to finishing the wiring harness.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:03 am 
WB Contributor

Also keep in mind the top 2 boltholes on the vw bell housing are about a 1/4 inch closer to each other than the lower 2.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:22 am 

when i weighed the motor i had the adapter, flywheel and clutch on it.the actually motor does not weight 100lbs more than the ecotec motor. My dad was going to run the turbo ecotec and the wieght difference was like 50lbs. you want even know that extra weight is there until some has to pull you out of the woods or if you get stuck and they have to pull you out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:45 am 

Ive got the L61 ecotec out of a 2003 cavalier. With adapter plate n flywheel it weighed in at 301 LBS.

My toyota v6 weighs around 400. I had that in my buggy all mounted in and I could def notice the weight but not as much as i noticed how top heavy it got. I sort of stumbled onto an ecotec deal I couldnt pass up an ended up goin with that.

When Im climbing long hills I can tell the extra weight back there compared to the vw. But the power boost more then makes up for it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:16 am 

as far as honda 4 cyl not making power, have you even see those little rice rockets run a qtr mile? i went to a NOPI show a few years back and to see 800 hp 4cyl's and little civics running 9 / 10 sec qrts is incredible! i know alot of old muscle car guys that work thier asses of to get a 12 sec car, you dont have to have big cubic inches for speed anymore,.. now to keep the ol lady happy thats another story

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:50 pm 

benscollision.com wrote:
as far as honda 4 cyl not making power, have you even see those little rice rockets run a qtr mile? i went to a NOPI show a few years back and to see 800 hp 4cyl's and little civics running 9 / 10 sec qrts is incredible! i know alot of old muscle car guys that work thier asses of to get a 12 sec car, you dont have to have big cubic inches for speed anymore,.. now to keep the ol lady happy thats another story

You know how much money they have in those cars? In stock form they are good reliable engines, they just need a bunch of mods to wake up the hp/torque.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:26 am 

you missed my point, im saying even if they are 4cyl, you see more honda and toyota motors built than you see something like a quad4 or a dodge 4cyl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:31 am 

and not to mention a D16 is 120 hp stock, thats not bad for a stock 1600cc motor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:05 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

benscollision.com wrote:
you missed my point, im saying even if they are 4cyl, you see more honda and toyota motors built than you see something like a quad4 or a dodge 4cyl

In all fairness, the big 3 havnt had alot of high performance lightweight cars to choose from. And I don't care what the badge says on it, I wouldnt trust a 800hp 4cyl anything to last long on something that runs for more then 1/4 mile at a time. :mrgreen: That is a ton of heat being made in an aluminum small engine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:59 pm 

honda k series..2.0 liter..160-200 hp stock no turbo or supercharger..rotates right way for vw tranny..tons of aftermarket..if it wasnt for me on budget build id be running a k20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:18 pm 

Your looking at the wrong numbers. In a buggy torque is what you want to look at. You might be making 200hp but only producing 150 lbs of torque. My buggys got about 165hp and about 170 Lbs of torque in stock form.

Horse power sells cars but torque wins the race is what the old timers always told me.

Im not saying hondas are crap. I just look at the bang for the buck. Honda engines can get expensive where as my engine wiring harness and ecu only cost me $200. But you can find them for around $400 no prob and is putting out some very impressive hp/torque numbers. I like to build smart well atleast I try to lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:07 am 

ImmortalSoul219 wrote:
Your looking at the wrong numbers. In a buggy torque is what you want to look at. You might be making 200hp but only producing 150 lbs of torque. My buggys got about 165hp and about 170 Lbs of torque in stock form.

Horse power sells cars but torque wins the race is what the old timers always told me.

Im not saying hondas are crap. I just look at the bang for the buck. Honda engines can get expensive where as my engine wiring harness and ecu only cost me $200. But you can find them for around $400 no prob and is putting out some very impressive hp/torque numbers. I like to build smart well atleast I try to lol.

i gotta say i was going to call B.S. on this one, because the only motors ive seen produce more torque than hp are diesels. but i looked it up and what i found ( assuming you are talking about the avalon motor ) said '95 - 99 avalon 3.0 has 195 hp and 210 lbs of torque, the folloing years were even higher.sorry for thinkin you were full of it! heh heh. learn something new every day... as far as torque goes i read something years back that i always thought was very interesting, it said, and i may have the numbers a little off, that for every 400lbs you remove from your vehicle you increase your torque 100lbs!

BUT WHAT ABOUT MY ORIGINAL QUESTION ????

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:49 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Suby steve answered that didnt he? He is right, cant do it.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines