It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:19 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suby Questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:35 pm 

I have a few question about suby power. First after looking threw old posts, i see that Lagacy's are a sorce for the motors. Can anyonetell me what years these are availible in, and if the Lagacy's are the only cars they come in.
Next I'm wondering what the weight differance is. Are all these type on engines fuel injected?
Any other info that anyone thinks I should know letme know. I dont think I needa turbo, so just a basic engine will do.

Thanks
odd

Post subject: Re: Suby Questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:50 pm 
Global moderator

One of the best reasons to go suby is for EFI. The OBD1 engines from 92- some 95'S are the easiest to wire, and are plentiful. they are 2.2,,,and legacy is the biggest source. Other models had the 1.8. The OBD2 from 95 up have a little more power but are harder to wire up. They are 2.5 mostly. I run a 3.3 but it is heaviest and no more power than a Honda which is more plentiful. the 4 cylinders are about a hundred pounds heavier than a vw by the time you add the radiator and lines.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:11 am 
WB Contributor

I weighed my vw stroker and suby with rad, gal water and it came 52lbs heavier. not bad huh? I like the suby due to the lower center of gravity and they are cheap. I bought the whole car for 150 then scraped the rest. I just found a turbo car for 500 with a bad trans. The other power plant that I would consider would be the ecotech or honda v6, they are plentiful and cheap. Goodluck and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:16 pm 

i came up with the same weight difference as steve did when i weighed mine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:32 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Does the radiator and 3 gallons or so of water weigh much more then the dry sump oil setup? Troy, personally I would go with the eco for the easier instal. The cage doesnt need modified and the oilpan works in stock form. The only benifit I see to the suby, and its a good one, is the center of gravity. both can be easily and cheaply modified to VW tranny ripping power. About the same things you do to a VW to get from 150-220 hp. But you are starting with engines from 120 to 200 hp in stock form for $500 to $1000 bucks. The big pain is the harness. But don't worry, the jets wont clog on it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:51 am 

One good thing about the rotary, flat, thin oil pan as standard, no dry sump needed.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:35 pm 

Quote:
Troy, personally I would go with the eco for the easier instal.

Well of course you would Jason. :roll: :D I think I want a suby, but it will depend on what I find as the donor.
Is the Legacies I'm looking for 95 and up ordid they make them before that. I think I would just go with a 2.2 or 1.8, but again it depends on what if anything I find.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:39 pm 
Master fabricator

Different adaptor plate for the 1.8. The 2.0, 2.2, 2.5 all use the same plate.

G
A

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:56 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

SubySteve wrote:
I weighed my vw stroker and suby with rad, gal water and it came 52lbs heavier. not bad huh? I like the suby due to the lower center of gravity and they are cheap. I bought the whole car for 150 then scraped the rest. I just found a turbo car for 500 with a bad trans. The other power plant that I would consider would be the ecotech or honda v6, they are plentiful and cheap. Goodluck and keep us posted.

Hey Steve,

How much did the two of them weigh. I have never weighed my engine and I was just wondering how much a VW and Subaru actually weigh.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:42 pm 
WB Contributor

MickeyMouse wrote:
SubySteve wrote:

Hey Steve,

How much did the two of them weigh. I have never weighed my engine and I was just wondering how much a VW and Subaru actually weigh.

Thanks

The strocker was 199lbs and the suby was 251

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:50 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Wow.. I cannot believe there is only a 52 pound difference.. I have no problem lifting and carrying around a VW engine (with a friend) but I struggle like hell to carry around a Suby engine (with a friend). I am embarrassed to think it is only a 52 lb difference.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:09 pm 
WB Contributor

MickeyMouse wrote:
Wow.. I cannot believe there is only a 52 pound difference.. I have no problem lifting and carrying around a VW engine (with a friend) but I struggle like hell to carry around a Suby engine (with a friend). I am embarrassed to think it is only a 52 lb difference.

lmao mm my wife helped me put my suby on engine stand :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:20 pm 
Global moderator

MickeyMouse wrote:

not sure about your math :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:12 am 
WB Contributor

My wife helped me put both on the scale, and she helped me put it in the car too.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:13 am 

MadMike wrote:
Different adaptor plate for the 1.8. The 2.0, 2.2, 2.5 all use the same plate.

not necessarily. There are a couple different generations of 1.8. the EAs (loyales, GLs, DLs, Brats, made mostly in the '80s, and a bit up until '94). there's also the EJ18, which is the same block as the other EJs and came in imprezas in the '90s (in the US anyway...).

I've muscled a 2.2 out of my wagon to the ground myself. and my girlfriend and I carried it from there down to the basement (essentially 3 flights of stairs).

Hell of a lot lighter than the Toyota 22REs I had to move last week!!!

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines