It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:10 am 

There are a lot of reasons a dry sump is a good idea on a VW engine & Subaru has a small oil pan when cut down for buggy use so I understand it there too. On a Pinto engine the sump is at the rear of the buggy & with some baffles, a crank scraper & some added sump capacity I can control about 7 quarts fairly well. My engine is going to be under 150 HP & Im not that worried if I lose a few HP to roping & crank slinging of the oil. I need a good explaination if its worth the expense on this engine or is it really not necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:41 pm 
Global moderator

It is good insurance when you have a ton of money and time in your engine to prevent oil starvation due to excess cornering and climbing,,,here is another option too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Canton-3 ... ccessories

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:50 pm 

dry sump it. live and learn and i had to learn the hard way. my 2276 was 5 months old and it spun a rod bearing from no oil on a hill . a cb dry sump pump is only 125 and u can find a good used tank for about 150 or so

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:31 pm 
Master fabricator

buggiejunky wrote:
dry sump it. live and learn and i had to learn the hard way. my 2276 was 5 months old and it spun a rod bearing from no oil on a hill . a cb dry sump pump is only 125 and u can find a good used tank for about 150 or so

This topic is in Water cooled engines. A CB dry sump pump aint worth shi_ here.

G
A

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:58 pm 

Firebug wrote:
It is good insurance when you have a ton of money and time in your engine to prevent oil starvation due to excess cornering and climbing,,,here is another option too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Canton-3 ... ccessories

2 good options Drews has the Accusump I run a dry sump & racebug runs a cumulater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:04 pm 

I think buggyjunkie missed the Pinto engine part. Dry sump aint so cheap here. Nearly a grand to do it right. Just want to know if other 2300 runners spent the bux or consider it a waste of money. I have been considering an Accusump for a while but I will buy a dry sump instead if its necessary to keep the engine alive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:13 pm 

i just saw dry sump or not give me a break

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:30 pm 

buggiejunky wrote:
i just saw dry sump or not give me a break

Im not coming down on you. I screw the pooch so often its scary.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:05 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If you want long life Dry sump ,If you are prone to turn over Dry sump , If you slow trail rider like me ....no need Ha Ha
Curt runs a Dry sump system on all his buggys. I don't know where bernard get his stuff But he feels the need I don't blame him ,No telling how much one of them power plants would cost to build :shock:

D.B.Nut you were talking about your motor with the big HP this dude Mr Burns has two buggys one has a 406 sb ,Dart Alum heads ,He has the dyno sheet on it it made 700 and some change
his new buggy has a 406 sb ,Dart heads ,twin turbo ,He aint Dynoed it yet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:58 am 

My GT500 engine was supposed to go in my 07 Stang but I think Im going to pick up a 6 banger car next year & swap it into that one. It would make a hell of a Sandrail powerplant though. Heres the dyno run while it was being tuned. I cant find the vid of the 831 HP run but at 817 its close enough. I bought it when the owner opted for a 6.2 stroker in his Snake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRiAcLfdvXw
Heres a shot of it sitting in my garage.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=110821
I bought it as dynoed minus the Kenne Bell blower. The stock one is sitting on it in the pic but it is getting put on the 07 GT. John still got over 650 HP on the stock blower but that was maxed out. I plan on running a whipple 3.4L blower when I finally install it in something.

Actually the HP bragging is in answer to Passat. Every post he seems to brag about HP & torque as though the rest of us are running A/C 1200 cc engines. I have an 87 buick GN & an 87 Turbo T in my garage so I would have to say they out HP his 3.8 buggy motor by a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:39 am 
BOTM Winner

I would dry sump anything, w/c and a/c engines, it is the best bang for your bucks, some may be very expensive and some not, it all depends on how much you want to spend. You can get very good dry sump systems from several different places like from Poske's race shop that sells some for small block chevys and fords, there is a website called www.drysump.com they sell drysump systems for all kinds of modern engines. I would rather spend $1000 on a drysump than buying a whole new engine again and also to have more oil capacity than a wetsump system and to mention longer oil life than wet sump as well.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines