It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:15 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I got my WC now what?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:18 pm 

I picked up a 91 Legacy with the 2.2 turbo and drove it home. Ran pretty good, but now it's time to remove the heart. I plan on running it with the factory ECU for now just to get it running and see how it does. In time I will probably go stand alone as I mod the engine.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this engine and what wires can I eliminate?
Any other tips before I tear this baby apart?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:53 pm 
Global moderator

I spent the money with KEP to get an adapter and for a little more got some schematics and pointers. Later when I did my 3.3 I spent the money with SmallCar to get their diagrams. I searched the internet for everything else I could print out to help too..good luck,,,don't be discouraged ,I got mine running ,,you will too. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:46 pm 
WB Videographer

2.2 turbo legacy cars are rare only 2000 were sold in USA. I'm wincing because I've got one, and hate to see that go in a buggy. 2.2 turbo is capable of over 500hp with right mods, as it is a closed deck block.
I'd like to talk you into getting a 2.5 turbo for your bug and keep the 2.2t to drive.
Sorry guess I'm just sentimental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:51 pm 

You wouldn't say that if you could see the car. Every panel is dented, hardly any of the electrical works, tranny is slipping, suspension is shot. But I'll sell you the turbo hood and rear spoiler :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:40 am 

Firebug wrote:
I spent the money with KEP to get an adapter and for a little more got some schematics and pointers. Later when I did my 3.3 I spent the money with SmallCar to get their diagrams. I searched the internet for everything else I could print out to help too..good luck,,,don't be discouraged ,I got mine running ,,you will too. :wink:

i got kep wireing diagram and did it my self to it was not to hard but alot of time and you save $$$ and it you need help the guys on here are allsome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:40 pm 

Maddog wrote:
2.2 turbo legacy cars are rare only 2000 were sold in USA. I'm wincing because I've got one, and hate to see that go in a buggy. 2.2 turbo is capable of over 500hp with right mods, as it is a closed deck block.
I'd like to talk you into getting a 2.5 turbo for your bug and keep the 2.2t to drive.
Sorry guess I'm just sentimental.

blah blah blah. 22t is overrated. decent motor, but it's not that great. pull it out and rock it in a buggy! unless you're spending the money to bore/stroke it up to a 2.65l, a 257 is a much better block.

wiring diagrams:
http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/File ... Wiring.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:28 am 
WB Videographer

Best block: EJ22T Thickest iron sleeves, piston sqirters, closed deck, can be stroked to 2.8l, I agree internals aren't up to it, but a bare block goes for $800.
Best complete bottom end: V7 EJ207 Strongest pistons, rods, and revs to 8k easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:01 pm 

Maddog wrote:
Best block: EJ22T Thickest iron sleeves, piston sqirters, closed deck, can be stroked to 2.8l, I agree internals aren't up to it, but a bare block goes for $800.
Best complete bottom end: V7 EJ207 Strongest pistons, rods, and revs to 8k easy.

yea, closed deck is such a wonderful idea. fill all the coolant passages with aluminum. most of the big builds have overheating issues.

semi-closed is the way to go.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines