A

Post subject: Re: It could be my time
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:22 am 
BOTM Winner

i've been busy gettin ready for our first race this weekend. I plan on starting to look around next week. I like the 2.5 with the obd2. That pretty popular too, isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:34 am 
Global moderator

Yea,,,for a few more dollars than the OBD1,,, pay for the engine and have the harness done professionaly and go with the OBD2 2.5....plenty of them out there. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:15 am 
BOTM Winner

My opinion is if your going to go with the Subie platform run the OBD2 2.5 motor. Take advantage of the additional 35 HP and 40# of torque in the same foot print as the 2.2. You can get JDM DOHCs with less than 60K miles for around a "G" note shipped to your door with a Warranty. A word of caution , if you plan on picking up a whole donner car make sure its a standard shift model to lesson the aggravation. The Auto model ECUs dont play well with a converted harness. They want to see the TCU (trans control module). Note that the SOHC motors are not as plentifull as the DOHC motors. They are only USDM issue and most of them have a 100K miles or more. I choose the SOHC because it was a little less weight and bulk. It also had a little more HP and Torque and the Intake manifold runners were slighty smaller for an Increased lower end torque. Food for thought.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:21 pm 

You could also forget about the factory ECU and build your own Megasquirt system. I'm in the process of building and installing my third unit. Now you will have control over everything yourself such as rev limits, boost control, water injection, nitrous control, spark and fuel maps, and every kind of ignition option you can think of including coil-on-plug. You can even adapt it to a different engine if you change your mind later. You can also repair the unit yourself now matter what happens to it, short of being on fire.

Huey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:53 am 
BOTM Winner

Huey wrote:
You could also forget about the factory ECU and build your own Megasquirt system. I'm in the process of building and installing my third unit. Now you will have control over everything yourself such as rev limits, boost control, water injection, nitrous control, spark and fuel maps, and every kind of ignition option you can think of including coil-on-plug. You can even adapt it to a different engine if you change your mind later. You can also repair the unit yourself now matter what happens to it, short of being on fire.

I was under the Impression that Megasquirt was just beginning to get the oddball Subie crank trigger sequence correct. Last I heard you had to use a different crank trigger wheel setup to make it work. Have they actually been successful with it?

Huey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:22 pm 

Is this what the subaru trigger looks like http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Subaru.htm ? If so it looks like its been figured out.

Huey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:26 pm 
BOTM Winner

Cool, that appears to be it. The 6/7 nomenclature is for the 6 Tooth Crank trigger wheel and the 7 tooth cam trigger pully. As long as you dont buy a motor with the 40 tooth Crank and 2 tooth cam like the 2000 and up Legacy standard shift your good to go. Also some of the Impreza WRXs run the same set up as I recall.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:55 am 

haven't been on here in awhile.....boy few projects making progress!!!

MadMike wrote:
I just want to throw in one other thing to concider. OBD-1 is up to model year 1994, that makes it a 15 year old car. Unless you can luck out and find a couple of low mile, 70,000 or 80,000 is low, your pickings are getting slim. I would suggest going OBD-2, 2.5L SOHC or DOHC makes no difference as far as HP goes. That opens your availibility from 1995 to 2002 or beyond with additional mods.
My next planned major project is to swap from OBD-1 2.2L to OBD-2 2.5L SOHC.

just wanted to mention that the EJ22 is truly a bullet-proof motor. mine currently has 285k miles on it. and not easy ones. many Autocrosses, rallycrosses, ice racing events, not to mention 2 years delivering pizzas in-town (3-400 miles a week, all under 40mph). with religious oil changes at 8-10k miles, if I get around to it :P .

I'm currently rebuilding another one, out of a '90 legacy, with all new rings, bearings, seals, delta ported/polished/ground heads/cams, grimmspeed phenolic intake manifold spacers, group A throttle body spacer, borla exhaust header, Link v4 standalone ECU and an Eaton M62 supercharger. depending on pulley setup, 200hp isn't out of the question (assuming my fuel system can keep up....). for about $2k (almost half of that is the heads/cams).

IMHO the '96 EJ22 is the best motor you can get. solid lifters (not hydraulic lash adjusters like the older ones), OBD II (more power!), and non-interference (should you break a timing belt....). I put a '96 EJ22 out of an impreza into an '86 subaru wagon, and was extremely impressed with that motor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:46 am 
BOTM Winner

Thats cool, just need to see what everything is gonna cost before I get movin on it. :?

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines