It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:46 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.3 turbo??????
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:54 am 

anyone run em'? good bad an the ugly on them.... any help greatly appreciated thanks

Post subject: Re: 2.3 turbo??????
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:57 am 

Never run one but have seen a couple. Heavy and not overly powerful for the added weight. They are about like a Chrysler 2.2 in that regards. A N/A Suby or Ecotec are better engines for the money.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:22 am 

2.3 turbo, 380lbs.-190hp w 5sp 150hp w auto
2.2 ecotec 350lbs.-140hp
:idea:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:51 am 

Must have been the automatic versions I was around, they were pretty doggy off idle and only ran decent when cranked up tight.

The ecotecs benefit from a higher rev limit if used in a buggy, using the factory computer hurts them pretty badly. Throw a turbo on the ecotec and hang on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:43 pm 

thought about ecotec guy down the street rebuilds cavaliers andhas some but which are the best 2.0 2.2 2.4 ?????

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:46 pm 

bradley59dzl wrote:
thought about ecotec guy down the street rebuilds cavaliers andhas some but which are the best 2.0 2.2 2.4 ?????

Most of the guys around here use the 2.2. Make sure you get one that uses a throttle cable, the others can be converted but are a general pain in the butt to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:52 pm 

khaney01 wrote:
bradley59dzl wrote:

Most of the guys around here use the 2.2. Make sure you get one that uses a throttle cable, the others can be converted but are a general pain in the butt to do so.

ahh.. good point thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:29 pm 

I guess I'm just a biased Ford guy because I think the 2.3 is a great engine. Bullet proof bottom end, very easy to turbo and even came stock in turbo form, tons of performance upgrades and tech information available. These engines can produce well over 500hp when set up correctly. Find a turbocoupe and you will have a cheap engine worth about 200hp stock. Adjust the boost, crank up the fuel pressure and you can approach the 300hp mark without spending much money at all. 300hp for less than $500 seems pretty decent to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:39 pm 

fortydegnorth wrote:
I guess I'm just a biased Ford guy because I think the 2.3 is a great engine. Bullet proof bottom end, very easy to turbo and even came stock in turbo form, tons of performance upgrades and tech information available. These engines can produce well over 500hp when set up correctly. Find a turbocoupe and you will have a cheap engine worth about 200hp stock. Adjust the boost, crank up the fuel pressure and you can approach the 300hp mark without spending much money at all. 300hp for less than $500 seems pretty decent to me.

thanks for the input but im going w/ the ectotec got em cheep n found some great info http://tunersource.gmblogs.com/Racer-Te ... te-web.pdf ....500hp with no machine work n 1400hp build ups w/ gm performance parts cant beat it but im goin w a 2.2 and goin to charge so w'ell c what happens... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:26 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

running a 2.3 pontiac and I love it. I'm told it should have just over 200 hp. No turbo but it has EFI. Tons of low torque on the hills. I can go from crawling to flinging mud mid hill without clutching it. I do wish it was as short as a boxer type and lower center, but hasn't been a problem yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:04 pm 

I spent some time at D&K this past weekend looking at all of the different setups and I think the 3.0 Honda engine looks and sounds great. I'm not sure how much it weighs but it is all aluminum. I'm sure KY-BC can fill you in on the specs. We went on a ride with him, Wild willie, and a few others. I run a 2.2 turbo dodge engine with 174hp in stock form. I can easily turn up the boost and get 200+ horsepower but I don't want to break anything right now. I rarely use the power it has anyway. The turbo dodge forum has dyno sheets with the same engine producing 350-400 rear wheel hp http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f15/104819-post-your-dyno-charts-here.html . Yes, it is heavier than a VW. However, I don't think its all that bad with the aluminum head. I wish I would have weighed before installation. Besides, the turbo sounds cool too.

Huey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:13 am 

plenty of round track guys do prety good with 2.3 fords, their are lots of used hp parts cheap out there because of it.I don't run a turbo; but dual carbs,seems to have more power than I need. but I might not ride as extreme as some of you. over all I'am super pleased with mine.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines