It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:11 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel Engines
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:18 pm 

I'm over in Germany on a work trip and I have been riding in a little French made VW with a 1.9l diesel. The car is wierd looking and small but it has a ton of power and is lightning fast. It has a lot of power right around 2,000-2,500rpm.Oh, and it redlines at something like 5,500rpm! Keep in mind that I had this thing going about 200kph on the Autobahn (125mph) The old diesel VW engines from the eighties had poor power and were rather heavy, but I wonder what these new ones could do in a buggy? I'm going to do some poking under the hood before I return the car to the rental place. Seems like a light and powerful diesel would be perfect for a buggy. Shooting up a hill with black smoke pouring out of a little turbo diesel would be a riot. There are a lot of diesels over here and they are all super fast. Anyone ever try a diesel combo?

Post subject: Re: Diesel Engines
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:18 pm 
WB Contributor

I have seen a diesel in a buggy before but it was an isuzu. If you find one I would put it in.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:37 pm 
BOTM Winner

Yea, I think his name is Jeff. The really sharp looking diesel chaindrive, it's like a copper-ish color. That thing is really nice! Its cool to see the black smoke and hear that turbo screamin' when he's sawing on it! 8) im obsessed with high performance diesel engines anyway, I always have my nose in a book or magazine on them! So it's really cool to see a diesel in a buggy! I can't wait to get my hands on my dad's powerstoke when I can drive! :twisted: we already have all the banks stuff besides the exhaust (which I'm currently talking him in to). Trust me, there will be lots more done to it when I can buy the stuff and drive it! The next thing I'm talkin Dad into is water injection and dual ATS Aurora turobs! :mrgreen: Lookin' forward to that!

-Dakotah

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:33 pm 

Glad to hear that some people are using the combo. Please post pics if you see any on the trail. I am going to be coming back to Germany a few times a year and am already making friends and learning German so if I study up and find the best car to buggy diesel canidate I can have some shipped to Ohio from the German salvage yard. I know the big American pickup truck diesels make tons of power but with too much weight. I am especially interested in the small, light weight, but powerfull small car diesels.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:19 pm 
BOTM Winner

My 'OL Lady's car is a 2006 Golf TDI with a 1.9L Turbo Diesel engine. It will easily do 125mph.......yep. :wink:
It is a very fast car for what it is. It has WAY more torque than a comparable 2.0L GAS VW 4 banger.

Buy the best and cry once.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines