It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:31 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:13 am 
BOTM Winner

Have any of you guys entertained the Ideal of using the Megasuirt Fuel/Ignition management system for your Swap. The MS can be bought for abot $500.00 with harness and Simalator.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:29 am 

I'm running megasquirt on my turbo buggy (dodge 2.2L) and wouldn't go back to a carbureted engine. I'm in the process of installing another megasquirt on a 5.3L chevy engine with coil-near-plug ignition that will run both ignition and fuel. If you have any questions I will try and answer them. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:37 pm 
WB Contributor

Can the ms system be fine tuned with a laptop or tweaked in any way?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:13 pm 

problem is, AFAIK (someone correct me if I'm wrong), nobody has done the R&D work to decode the subaru trigger wheels for MS. In all my experience in the subaru world, I've never seen an EJ-series subaru running megasquirt. seen a few that use MS to control fuel on the older engines that use a distributor to control spark.

FYI. get me the bulkhead harness out of your donor car, and I'll strip it down to run your motor on the stock ECU for $200 :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:31 pm 
Global moderator

Best deal on Suby harness I have seen, trouble is I have mine about done,,may have to shorten or lengthen a wire or two. Won't know till I get the ammo box and the engine mounted. :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:18 pm 
BOTM Winner

Steve wrote:
Can the ms system be fine tuned with a laptop or tweaked in any way?

Yes tuning with a laptop would be the whole point in going that direction. Also I would not have to go thru the trouble of taking the harness out of a donner car. I am weighing up my options to determine what route I amy go in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:20 pm 
BOTM Winner

numbchux wrote:
problem is, AFAIK (someone correct me if I'm wrong), nobody has done the R&D work to decode the subaru trigger wheels for MS. In all my experience in the subaru world, I've never seen an EJ-series subaru running megasquirt. seen a few that use MS to control fuel on the older engines that use a distributor to control spark.

FYI. get me the bulkhead harness out of your donor car, and I'll strip it down to run your motor on the stock ECU for $200 :D

I will keep tah in mind if I go that route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:50 pm 

removing the old harness is an enormous pain. this is true....But I think it's totally worth it.

if a standalone is the route you want to go, keep your eyes open for a used Link LEM system. I just picked up a v4 LEM from a local subaru guy for $250. subaru trigger patterns downloadable from their website ( http://www.linkecu.com ). they use MAP/IAT so you won't have to use the subaru intake plenum/MAF.

and yea, the Link is completely programmable/tunable via laptop.

they also have closed loop/lambda control for auto-tuning (automatically makes adjustments based on the 02 sensor signal).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:43 am 
BOTM Winner

[quote="numbchux"]removing the old harness is an enormous pain. this is true....But I think it's totally worth it.

actually, when i pulled the harness out of my donor car it really wasnt that bad.what couldnt be unbolted,got the sawsall treatment. the guy at the boneyard was pissed when he saw that we tore the dash completely apart.(dont know what else he expected)
is there really a substancial difference using aftermarket (v4lem,ms,ect...) over a stock set-up, on a stock motor?

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:25 am 
BOTM Winner

plumberbill wrote:
numbchux wrote:
removing the old harness is an enormous pain. this is true....But I think it's totally worth it.

actually, when i pulled the harness out of my donor car it really wasnt that bad.what couldnt be unbolted,got the sawsall treatment. the guy at the boneyard was pissed when he saw that we tore the dash completely apart.(dont know what else he expected)

is there really a substancial difference using aftermarket (v4lem,ms,ect...) over a stock set-up, on a stock motor?

I dont think there is a substantial difference between a OEM ECU over the aftermarket unless you want to tweek out all the avalable power from the motor. You can however see every thing your motor is doing and adjust accordly. If you allready have an OEM setup running the motor then there is no good reason to switch.

Post Update I just ran accross this link to some interesting reading on Subie engine swaps. Play close attenion to the posts about OEM versus aftermarket systems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:55 am 

Ok, lets figure out the trigger wheel. How many teeth are on it and is there any missing teeth? If that doesn't work you can always mount a 36-to-1 trigger wheel and it can be purchased at http://www.diyautotune.com/.
Some of the advanatages of being able to tune your own setup are: rev control, nitrous control, boost control, idle speed adjustment, and shift light control. All of this is tunable by you through a connection to a laptop. You can also log all of the sensor inputs while you drive (a laptop must be carried with you for this) to see what is going on at a later time. Here is a snippet from one of my early log files when I was doing some tuning.
Image.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:33 am 

the stock subaru ECUs are surprisingly intelligent. I really don't think you'll see almost any power gains by switching to a standalone on a stock motor. great....it's tunable, spend many hours dialing in your tune for ~10hp or run a stock ECU doesn't need to be tuned, plug it in and go.

yea, if you're doing some goofy boosted hybrid motor (like mine, I'll have to show you guys my project once it really get's under way. it's not going in a buggy, but I think you'll like it anyway :twisted: ), a standalone EMU is essential. but on a stock motor....not so much.

also, data logging and display can all be done with some rather basic OBD II scan tools.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:48 am 
BOTM Winner

Hey Numbchux, Can a 1996 2.2 ECU, intake manifold and wiring harness be used on a 1999, 2000 or 2001 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:13 am 

Odyknuck wrote:
Hey Numbchux, Can a 1996 2.2 ECU, intake manifold and wiring harness be used on a 1999, 2000 or 2001 2.5

boy, it probably would. would definitely HAVE to be a SOHC 2.5. my only worry would be the cam angle sensor. there is a chance that it would be different.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:45 am 
WB Contributor

Maybe a good donor car?
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/894176789.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:35 am 
BOTM Winner

Steve wrote:

Engines to small I need a 2.5 for my tank. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:36 am 
BOTM Winner

numbchux wrote:
Odyknuck wrote:

boy, it probably would. would definitely HAVE to be a SOHC 2.5. my only worry would be the cam angle sensor. there is a chance that it would be different.

Is there any way you can confirm that it would work?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:55 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
Steve wrote:

Engines to small I need a 2.5 for my tank. :wink:

only Outbacks to get a 2.2 were the '96 5-speed ones. so something isn't right in that listing. might be worth contacting them.

I'm not sure how to confirm whether the SOHC 2.5 cam sensors are different than the 2.2....I'll keep looking into it...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:47 pm 

update. just heard from a friend that he's running his '96 2.2 on a '98 DOHC 2.5 ECU......no problems other than a CEL for the fuel temp sensor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:52 am 
WB Contributor

The guy I bought my last donor car from said his buddy owns a garage that sells cars also puts the 96 2.2 in place of the 2.5. They claim it has egr just like the 2.5 and is a more forgiving motor. Take it for what its worth.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:12 am 

Hey Ody, I don't think you'd need the simulator if you buy a prebuilt megasquirt. I think they sell those for the people who buy the kit and build it (to make sure they didn't screw something up).
Could be wrong, but that might save you a few $$.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:34 pm 
BOTM Winner

RailHomie wrote:
Hey Ody, I don't think you'd need the simulator if you buy a prebuilt megasquirt. I think they sell those for the people who buy the kit and build it (to make sure they didn't screw something up).

I asked that same question and there responce wa syou can check your own Maps before risking damage to your motor. For $65.00 it would be worth piece of mind. They also told me that only the MS2 has provisions for the 2.5 crank trigger and thats in Beta testing. The MS2 is over $400.0 for the ECM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:06 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
RailHomie wrote:

I asked that same question and there responce wa syou can check your own Maps before risking damage to your motor. For $65.00 it would be worth piece of mind. They also told me that only the MS2 has provisions for the 2.5 crank trigger and thats in Beta testing. The MS2 is over $400.0 for the ECM

Hmm...I don't exactly remember how the simulator works, but I thought it basically just had some leds to indicate when the injectors were firing, etc. I guess there's a way to tell how everything is working together though since they said that. Carry on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:45 pm 

It's actually called a stimulator and is used to bench test everything once the megasquirt unit is built by simulating a running engine. It also gives you a chance to play with the unit and see cause-and-effect by changing sensor inputs. It will take some of the mystery out of how fuel injection really works. How is the trigger wheel setup on the subaru? Does it have a trigger wheel (with or without missing teeth) and a cam sensor? As far as damaging your engine I don't think it will be a problem as long as you start out using fuel only and the engine is not using any power adders. If you have to start out using spark and fuel then you would need to use great caution with the timing table and maybe verify a few things with a timing light before actually running the engine. You could do this by by leaving the fuel pump relay out and just cranking the engine.It will definitely be more challenging using the megasquirt over the subaru ECU and may not run any better. But the challenge is what makes it fun :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:39 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
numbchux wrote:
Odyknuck wrote:

Is there any way you can confirm that it would work?

alright, done some asking around. and as long as it's either a '96-'99 legacy motor or '98-'01 impreza/forester motor, the cam triggers will read just fine. SOHC or DOHC. as long as the injectors, MAF, TPS, etc. all match the ECU, you won't have any problems (although it might take a few hours of running for the logic module in the ECU to re-program the map for the extra displacement....so don't just fire it up and beat the piss out of it).

if you've got the check engine light hooked up, it may throw a code or 2....but nothing that would hinder performance.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines