It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:41 pm 
Global moderator

There aint no right answer. I did it because I like thinking out of the box. I aint much into the cookie cutter thing. Who'd of thought I am an oddball? A lighter buggy will be happy with the ej22 and you can do it under 2 grand, and run in the hottest weather. I'm guessing about half the cost of a comparable size vw before the fuel delivery and you dont miss riding because of being too hot outside. I'm hungry for more power, and I love Big Jelly's engine but I gotta be different . I will probably go with a bigger suby and give my ej22 to Dad for the choptop. I do love just turning the key and riding instead of adjusting. I like riding instead of sitting while it cools. And when it starts smoking bad I like swapping the engine instead of rebuilding. You and every other buggy rider are right to use whatever engine gets you into the woods and back to the trailer the most times .VW engines are like Harley's,,there is just something special about them, but you can go faster, cheaper in the rice grinder. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:09 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Steve wrote:
This is my suby with a 4 into 1 header from a v-dub. if you listen you can hear it thr rev limiter! Can hardly tell its a waterbuggy!

That does sound killer!! I thought so when it was first posted. And so does Firebuggy's now that he built a header.

I was just stirring up stuff, having a Curtmoment. :lol: I'm very glad there are some who want to be different. I love checking out all the wild stuff on different buggies, especially the Baby Chain rail. 8) And the killer job he did with no one to really reference off of. As long as you get to the woods, and you got enough buggy to make you pinch your cheeks together, its all good!!

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:24 pm 
WB Contributor

I think its funny how some get so mad it doesnt have a v-dub, But this offroad sport was started by taking things that guys had around that worked well off road. Remember there werent any roads somtime ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:19 am 
BOTM Winner

For the record guys, I was not trying to argue any point here. I was just sharing my experiences with being in the offroad arena for a long time racing and trail riding. Weather it be Dirt bikes, Pilots or Woods Buggys, everytime I got cheap, cheap got me. Hell I still do it today to some extend because of budget restraints.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:26 am 

Less than a grand, Steve? That's awesome. Also, LUVSDIRT, I think you'd pay more than $2400 to build a good 150-200 hp AC motor! Someone else chime in with a number on that one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:39 am 
WB Videographer

$500 junkyard 3.0 VTECH
$500 adapter/flywheel
$1200 ecm mod
$300 rad,etc.
hitting VTECH @ 3600rpm, priceless :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:45 pm 
WB Contributor

I like that one! PRICELESS!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:15 pm 

Ok, here is what I have.

$130.00 2.2L dodge TurboII removed from 1988 plymouth Sundance RS at Pull-A-Part.
$300.00 megasquirt fuel system.
$200.00 Intercooler. (only need this if running over 5lbs of boost)
$100.00 fuel pump.
$400.00 Adapter kit.
$20.00 Radiator from 1992 Dodge Shadow.

The engine was complete with turbo and makes 174 horsepower stock and 200ft lbs of Torque. It starts, runs great and does not smoke even though it has 144,000 miles on it. I could get more power by just cranking up the boost, but I don't need anymore power. Just the sound of the turbo is intimidating. The Turbo acts like a muffler and requires only a straight pipe. All you hear is the Turbo whistle. The injection system has a bulit in rev limiter, overboost protection, and uses all of the original injection system parts that came on the engine. Doesn't this sound cool: multi port fuel injected, turbo charged, intercooled. Here is a link with pictures http://woodsbuggy.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3584.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

that's what my wife said "Damn a starter buggy built the one you want the first time"
and that thing Steve has is nothing less than BAD ASS
I was VERY impressed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:22 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks Rock! Would you believe that motor had 216,000 on it when it was pulled from car?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:09 am 

High mileage engines for the win! 8)
Decent engineering behind them there modern engines, ain't there?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:10 pm 
Master fabricator

Remember one important thing. The INITIAL cost MIGHT be a little more than a well built A/C motor but should the first one go pop, the second one is cheap HP. The second one will have the same power as the first one and the 10th one will be the same. I have over 3 years on my Subie, wouldn't change it for nothing.

Ride on!!

G
A

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:12 pm 
WB Videographer

Well guys, I have enjoyed the spirited discussion on the Suby upgrade. While I was driving to the job today I think I made my decision and it starts with a capital "S"....

LuvsDirt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:29 pm 
WB Contributor

SUBY!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:22 pm 
WB Contributor

super air cooled ?

"Lets go get stupid"

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines