It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:21 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 pm 

I'm going domestic with a blue oval bruiser! Well I was going to run my 2.3 Ford turbo just the way it was with 150k miles, but the snowball started rolling. I decided to freshen it up a bit and it has gotten out of control from there. The shortblock is out getting machined, the custom ground roller cam is on its way from California, the intakes are being shipped to Illinois for porting and a new throttle body and the head was up to me. I couldn't afford the big bucks to port it so to the bench I went and this is what I've come up with:

The head is really restrictive in stock form so a ton of metal was removed. From here it goes to Heads Up Cylinder Heads for a full radius grind, oversized stainless valves and machining for the new roller cam. The header is orderd as well as the new turbo. Based on others who build and tune these engines I believe I should "easily" be in the mid 300hp range with the ability to boost it up and run methanol injection or race gas to break into the 400hp club. Man my 6 rib is gonna hate this! Gotta love bulletproof blue oval 4 bangers. Pistons are backorderd so updates to follow pending parts and machine shop schedules. Hopefully I will have some left over for a little dyno time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

Nice work on the polish job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:02 am 

my brother runs a 2.3,keep all the progress and info coming"we could use it"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:33 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

thats awesome... You must've had a good plow season :wink: haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:41 am 

Ya the snow was good to us, now if I can get through tax season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:46 pm 

Just a little update. The engine is now a 2.5 stroker, I hope it fills in a little off boost power. I'm waiting for parts and machine work. The head is almost done being re-worked for the roller cam and big valves. The cam tower straps are ready to be welded on also. The shortblock has gone through some changes with the addition of the 2.5 crank, BMW oil squirters to keep the pistons cool, Crower sportsman rods, ARP studs and straps for the main caps, front sump pan and Wiseco pistons. The turbo choice has change also, I am now working with a Holset HX35W off a Cummins diesel. I'm currently working on the paired header. I bought a bunch of stainless schedule 10 90's and some flanges to give it a try. On E85 pump "gas" and a good tune I should get deep into the 400's at the crank with 25-30#'s of boost. There is no way a 6 rib would hold those numbers so its basically for dyno pride and then de-tune for the buggy. It sucks I can't afford a mendeola so I could actually use that kind of power. Pictures to come as parts show up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:27 pm 

call weedle theay sold me compleate gear sets 1st through 4th for my 6 rib for drag racing it suppose to hold up to the 500hp range I can leave the line @ the strip at 4500 dump the clutch and cross the line @110 mph in a 1/8 mile turning low 7s on a friday night then the next day put 35-16.50 -15 boggers on and hit thewoods Ron @ weedle is the man my compleate gear set was under 4000$ and knock on wood I havent been able to break it and I have hade it for about 4 years know but I have broken several 930 joints and that is way cheaper than the transmission

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines