It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Radiators?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:17 pm 
WB Contributor

I'd run 2 fans on 2 separate circuits. One that has to be on while the motor runs and the other manually. No fancy relays. No toggle switches that are not waterproof or face upwards for rain to sit in. A good gauge and a warning lite. And a burp port at the highest point of the top rad. hose, if you have a low mounted rad. Remember , trapped steam does not cool or pump, but it does push your reservoir water out on the ground without you knowing. Feel the top hose on the radiator. If it is cold, there's no flow. Now squeeze the hose and rev the motor. It should always inflate. No inflation means you have cold air or steam trapped. Always rock hard and hot, and ya got trapped steam. Top off your water thru the burp port and you will know you have all the water out. Basicly depending on how what is mounted where, look for trapped air. I have 1 smoked Passat motor because I did not know these things. Another one smoked because someone put too much RTV on the valve cover and oil pan and the residual rtv went straight to the oil pick up screen. 9out of 10 accidents are caused by people. 9 out of 10 people are caused by accidents. :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:56 pm 

Holy ancient thread revival, Batman!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:01 am 

I see this is a older thread that passat revived but thought ide throw out there my pinto rail i ran a subaru rad with 2 fans from the same car (it only has 1 stock but will fit 2) on my subaru rail im running 91 jeep (had 2 new ones in the garage) then i seen 2 other buggys here run them too running subaru fans (had them in the garage)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 pm 

factory grand am radiator,fans(2),and surge tank.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:53 pm 
WB Contributor

NOW THAT'S A NICE MOTOR! That pic of the inline 4 cylinders. Just sharing motor talk. Most people have not ever seen a Passat VR6 motor with the head off and they are different than any other motor. Too bad they are a cast iron block, but anyway, instead of 6 cyls. in a row , they are staggered at 15 degrees and about a 1/2" apart (v15) . Not v30 or v45 like other v6's. Even more different, 1 flat head covers all 6 cyls. The little 82mm cyls are compact and therefore in a smaller block. People swear it is a 4 cyl. until they count the intake runners which are all even length. Back in '05 or so they cut 1 cyl off and made a VR5 (2.5) and only lost 5 hp. and torque. Cast iron blocks hold there aluminium head true and straight after overheating. Aluminium blocks are not always so forgiving to their heads so everyone watch your temps! Ain't it a nice feeling when yer gauge reads 175 all day no matter how ya drive?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 pm 

Toyota supra

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:57 pm 
WB Contributor

Now w/c will rule the hill climbs! YES! Just trying to help the w/c world. Antifreeze is should be mixed 50/50. Antifreeze raises the boiling point from 212 to 235. Water removes heat but antifreeze ain't so good at that. SO. If ya get above 60%, (water 40and antifreeze 60) you start going in the wrong direction. Water is a bad lubricant and a bad corrosion inhibitor. So to keep the block clean and efficient and the water pump spinning stay 50%. I just read it on the internet. Oh, and I am a French model. I know there are some of you out there with straight antifreeze wondering why they are running too hot. Read up on radiator caps. That is interesting also.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:48 pm 

Cheap chinese radiator for a Skyline from ebay on ours (supposed to be rated for 700bhp or something - it was £70 inc postage...) couple of curved 16" fans, one comes on as soon as the fuel pump is running, one is manually switched.

40% OAT antifreeze mix with a self bleeding coolant circuit (header tank feeds into highest spot in system)

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines