It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1.9 diesel!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:22 pm 

I know this topic has been thrown around on the forum a few times but I have not seen anybody actually build one yet. I seen a couple videos on YouTube of some diesel buggies. Soooo I called My local junk and salvage yard and they quoted me anywhere beetween 1100 to 1800 dollars depending on the year and certain vin #s. I also found some cheap diesels on eBay that price included the wiring harness. The engine I was looking at is a 2000 to 2005 vw tdi motor. Soooo I've got my income taxes coming up and a bit of money already saved up for this project, I know there are certain drawbacks to having a diesel Instead of a gas engine but, I'm thinking it would be a unique build unlike anybody else's. what do you guys think?

lord forgive me for I have sinned,
I hit a 3rd gear jump, 4th gear pinned!

Post subject: Re: 1.9 diesel!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:31 pm 

Kenedy makes the adapter and diesel weighted flywheel. My buddy started off to do the same thing, but he has more dreams than ambition (meaning it all lays in a pile at my place). He has a mildly hopped up tdi beetle and it will roll the tires off in first and second pretty much on command. Only big drawback I see is cast iron block so it is gonna be ass heavy. Also vw electrical gets pretty involved. He did all the research though. Could tell you exactly what you need if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:32 pm 

no rpm=no wheel speed. spend your money on an ecotec. jmo. if you want unigue try a harley motor :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:32 pm 

Also his beetle is now pushing 350 or more lb ft of torque. I am sure it would be a trans shredder.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:36 pm 

Less rpm but more TORQUE!!! Im sure wheelspeed can be achieved with longer gears. With a diesel you can lug gears out plus the efi is helping you out with quick snappy throttle. Would be heavier for sure but as far as reliability goes it should out-last most gas engines. Plus the tdi gets 44 mpg a tank of gas should last me a whole weekend of riding. I know for sure I will have to run two sets of shocks in the rear. The wiring I will definitely have to do research with. The cage will be heavily modified in the rear to. My main concern like you said is definitely going to be the trans. I have a 6 rib previous owner told me it was built.... Not sure i believe that it is. But can I build a 6 rib to handle roughly
3 to 400 pounds of torque? If so how much am I looking at?

Post subject: 1.9 diesel!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:45 pm 

lngtrvl2332 wrote:
Also vw electrical gets pretty involved. .

Here is a cool video my friend made on how to remove all the electronics if you go that route http://youtu.be/6CWiPXq0RAE

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."--Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:59 pm 
WB Contributor

I still have 3 bus to 1.6 diesel rabbit bell housings for $20 each. They came off those 3 rib 542's from '80- 82.Back in the 80's I remember seeing a VW van article in motor trend magazine that a diesel Vanagon did 0-60 in a whopping 48 seconds. There was bug splatters on the rear windshield! lol I can see why the air scoops were bigger than the previous designed 68-79 models.lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:04 pm 

Now that is some cool stuff! Very interesting setup thanks for sharing! That may be something I look into the less electronics the better! Egr is definitely getting deleted. Sapping over to a mechanical pump will kill some power though. Maybe I can get away with eliminating the majority of the wiring and keeping the stock pump or even upgrading to a cp3 pump. I still need to find a way to bulletproof my trans.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:52 pm 

Did a little more research today. An ecotec engine ranges beetween 301ibs and 345ibs depending on what year motor you get and an, TDI vw 1.9 weighs beetween 340ibs and 365ibs so weight difference isn't substantial as I thought it would have been. And adding power mods to these engines is relatively easy. Needless to say I'm exciting.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines