It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:32 pm 

Any help here would be great .....most people know my buggy cobra 98 ..what am i getting in to on this job want to here the good and the bad already sold my ac motor no turning back now .......2.4 or a 2.0 super charged i know Terry Fryer and Mike Robinson went 2.0 and there bad ass. ......ANY HELP HERE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:09 pm 
WB Contributor

the good is you will have plenty of power.....
the bad is that you will have to ride behind me if you want to hear a badass sounding motor!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:17 pm 

bige70chevy wrote:
the good is you will have plenty of power.....
the bad is that you will have to ride behind me if you want to hear a badass sounding motor!

I still got a bad ass 2332 e--- just in the air about selling it right now ......one minit i want to sell it next minit i'm keeping it just in case ...lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:26 pm 
WB Contributor

dont get me wrong, the w/c buggies are badass but....me personally id rather ride a lil ol sportster with a leakin, needin worked on daily, spittin sputterin bitch than ride a jap bike...same with my buggy, just like the look,sound ,smell and feel of the 40 somethin year old badass fire breathin mystic built vw. now i wouldnt mind stickin my 400 chevy on the buggy but im holdin out on that til bobby tanner sells me old scremin blue as a roller!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:22 pm 

I got mine by posting a wanted ad on cl. You never know. I got motor, ecu, alt, and wiring shipped to my door for 600.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:48 am 
WB Contributor

STOP BOLTING W/C TO VANOGON TRANS! IF THE TORQUE DON'T KILL THEM , IT WILL RARE UP AND KILL YOU! THERE ARE SOME THINGS YOU JUST DO NOT DO! KINDA LIKE REMOVING TICKS FROM YOUR DOG'S CODS.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:35 am 

Darrell I'll get ahold of you tomorrow. And passat I will put my ecotec buggy on any hill you will put the passat on. Only difference is I'll climb it.
Lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:55 pm 

Terry fryer wrote:
Darrell I'll get ahold of you tomorrow. And passat I will put my ecotec buggy on any hill you will put the passat on. Only difference is I'll climb it.
Lol

Thanks Terry that was a big help... makes a lot of since on the fuel set up .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:09 pm 

Hey darrell ive been out of town ,just seen your post and ive been talkin to terry also said you may have already made youe mind up.if ya need any help just give me a call and il help any way I can. Oh and passat im all about using modern day technology thats why I built what I did but brother you got to show me somethin other than a bunch of words on a computer!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:15 pm 

helmetguy wrote:
Hey darrell ive been out of town ,just seen your post and ive been talkin to terry also said you may have already made youe mind up.if ya need any help just give me a call and il help any way I can. Oh and passat im all about using modern day technology thats why I built what I did but brother you got to show me somethin other than a bunch of words on a computer!!!

Thanks Mike ... picking up the motor Sat. i will be talking to ya .....Sold the 2500 and the 2332 so here i go Ecotec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:30 pm 

I just finished putting in a 2.2 and I love it you won't be disappointed exapecialy if you go 2.4 or sc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:33 pm 
WB Contributor

Terry fryer wrote:
Lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:34 pm 
WB Contributor

so darrell what w/c set up did you decide on?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:16 pm 

bige70chevy wrote:
so darrell what w/c set up did you decide on?

The 2.4 stage -4 kit 200plus hp 200 plus foot pounds of tq that's plenty for me with trail riding and a little hill climbing should be a good set up ....with a 311 first gear trans still should have real good wheel speed ...that's what i am hoping anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:03 am 

Hey darrell what all does he do to the engine to get those numbers out of it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:50 am 

helmetguy wrote:
Hey darrell what all does he do to the engine to get those numbers out of it?

He was saying with there tune and header and the set up that i am buying wich is called a stage -4 kit that was the numbers they were getting on the dyno ...But what there doing i really don't know Mike $3,650 i hope it does something Mike .....i,m new to this stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:56 am 

Mike i,m guessing that is flywheel hp and tq soon as i go up there and pick everything up i will know a little more ...Saturday they said it would be ready

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:06 am 

Oh I think you will very impressed and if your not that motor has potential to make big numbers but to be honest ive got more hp than I can use on a hill. I think the 2.4 is the way to go and if you cant stand it bolt you a sc on the side then hold on!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:22 pm 

if you go with the Ecotec your going to have to change your rear suspension this big pig will add 200lbs to the rear of your car -- so it wont steer worth a shit-! If I was you I would look at the 2.0 cross flow VW rabbit motor--
I tried the Ecotec last year and didn't like it, the balance of the car went by by---

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:40 pm 

speedfun wrote:
if you go with the Ecotec your going to have to change your rear suspension this big pig will add 200lbs to the rear of your car -- so it wont steer worth a shit-! If I was you I would look at the 2.0 cross flow VW rabbit motor--
I tried the Ecotec last year and didn't like it, the balance of the car went by by---

3x5 arms and i will get -r- done i will figure the Balance out..... i already got a nice rear suspension on the rear of the buggy... maybe a little tuning on it :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:44 pm 
Master fabricator

speedfun wrote:

Prepare to be disagreed with, big time. To many folks have switched to this set up without issue and if there were any ill effects, there would have been plenty of warnings besides our resident whack o.
Did you ever think MAYBE it was your set up that was flawed? Maybe you were a little light in the loafers up front to begin with. Where are you running, what car are you running, what front suspension, what rear suspension? All of this plays an important part.
You can't expect to come here and with your first post say something won't work when a bunch of guys already KNOW it does.
I was told my Subaru set up wouldn't work, proved them all wrong, so wrong there are more than a dozen of them around up here and more on the way.
I'm not bashing what you are saying I'm just doubting the set up you had was right for the motor.

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:50 pm 
Master fabricator

darrell wrote:
3x5 arms and i will get -r- done i will figure the Balance out..... i already got a nice rear suspension on the rear of the buggy... maybe a little tuning on it :wink:

Darrel, you do know that for every inch longer than 3" on the arms you need to move the trans back an inch??
3" longer arms is the max with the trans in it's stock location. You want to go to a 5" longer arm, you need to move the trans back 2".

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:58 pm 

no your right I dont have a clue----

Attachments:
1524773_604977299568901_1808621649_n.jpg
1524773_604977299568901_1808621649_n.jpg [ 76.32 KiB | Viewed 7376 times ]
sdfgwed.jpg
sdfgwed.jpg [ 61.18 KiB | Viewed 7376 times ]
hdtghghgui.jpg
hdtghghgui.jpg [ 54.77 KiB | Viewed 7376 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:07 pm 

MadMike wrote:
darrell wrote:

Darrel, you do know that for every inch longer than 3" on the arms you need to move the trans back an inch??
3" longer arms is the max with the trans in it's stock location. You want to go to a 5" longer arm, you need to move the trans back 2".

I didn't no that Mike i should be good i,m thinking.. My trans has been set back 2" from the get go .I will post a few pics tell me what you think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:14 pm 

I never said the Ecotec wouldn't work but it will but -! if your car was built to run a air cooled the balance of the car is going out the door un less you like doing wheelies all the time and relying on the turn brake to turn the car--- then go for it-!
one big problem you should address is the oil pan the ecotec only holds 3.5 qts you will need to open up the oil pan-- I make one that works great if you need one--
I have built 4 of the Ecotec's for guys racing-- I have the right computer that works great too---
IMO- I would put a 2.0 VW water cooled in your car you can pick one up complete for $500.00 and it will have a wide power band and you wont have to change the springs just some valving in the shocks and you will be good to go---
but hay this is just my 3rd post??? what do I know

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines