It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:25 pm 

OHH snap crackle pop!! MadMike just lawyered some ass! Kudos Mike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:34 pm 
WB Contributor

diamonddav wrote:
Are you friends with red barron? :idea:eric johnson,hes a member on here from down the florida way.
Speedfun?
Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know this guy Dave! The car he has looks like a frame built by Mike Hester. I think the sc Echotec is the best power to weight ratio for the cubic $$$$$. Guys like Mike and Terry have shown that by building a frame in lieu of a factory frame the weight bias can be setup to climb. You will also note the suspension setup with the front setup fairly soft so it doesn't get bounced up hitting the face of the hill.

Please don't get me wrong either these guy can drive and have balls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:42 pm 
WB Contributor

speedfun wrote:
the 2.0 with a good exhaust and Intake manifold & cam will put out around 190 HP
I tried to get LOORRS to allow the 2.0 with stock lower end and have at the head because it will run with the Ecotec but it got shot down ----
by our rules I have to run a 1715cc and a single 2 barrel webber and up to 42mm ventures --
mine is dry sumped and titanium rods and valves and around 15-1 comp will out run the 2.4 Ecotec

Ya those tires work great for sure -! I use to run some like that but narrower and they kick ass----

You can get 190 horse out of an air cooled, why a rabbit? Great for shooting and dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:17 pm 

Barron thats kinda what I thought,if im gonna change from ac to wc. I've got to have a hp advantage to overcome some additional weight without using titanium rods and valves!!!!!! There went the $500 junkyard motor!!! imho!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:16 pm 

MadMike wrote:
Down force here is whether or not to put an extra case of beer in the cooler, but I digressed.

Mikes tip of the day:idea:

Mike I think anyone would take and run with any info you would give, but I guess there is that one. I think we are all lucky to have you back on here and willing to try to help us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:32 pm 
Master fabricator

bluebuggy wrote:
MadMike wrote:
Down force here is whether or not to put an extra case of beer in the cooler, but I digressed.

Mikes tip of the day:idea:

Mike I think anyone would take and run with any info you would give, but I guess there is that one. I think we are all lucky to have you back on here and willing to try to help us.

Thanks Man, that's one of my goals, to help out as many as I can. And If I'm forced to piss in someones Wheaties now and again, Oh well. I"ll try not to make a habit of it.

Darrell, I owe you an apology, this shouldn't of happened on your topic. Please, a thousand humble apologies.

G
A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:33 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Well said Bluebuggy .Got to know who you dealing with :wink: He has probably forgot more than most :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:58 pm 
WB Contributor

speedfun wrote:
MadMike wrote:
See THAT"S where your messed up. This is woodsbuggy, not racebuggy, he'll be here in a bit :wink: . What we do for the woods is a completely different universe than what is done on the flat track, stadium or Baja. As nice as your car might be, it would last maybe a half day where we ride. I'm not taking anything away from you or anything but you aint ready for what we do. Do yourself a favor and look through some of the videos we have and then ask yourself how do they compare.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

wrong again Mr wrong again----
I started running the woods of Ocala Fl and Georgia back in the 80's and then the deserts of California and then the woods of North Carolina that's how I got good at racing--
This car was first built to run the woods it just happens that the guy that builds these Knows his ship! and the car works great on the track too--
OWE SNAP WRONG AGAIN------ :shock: but you have thick skin right?
so what kind of sauce do you like? BBQ A1 ?

you aint seen a hill til you been to the woods with us in the mountains of ky. unless you go west of the rockies...been to 40 states and been to los angeles 30 times, them dunes aint shit! like crazy ass mad mike said WOODSBUGGY!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:04 pm 

Barron thats kinda what I thought,if im gonna change from ac to wc. I've got to have a hp advantage to overcome some additional weight without using titanium rods and valves!!!!!! There went the $500 junkyard motor!!! imho!!!!<br/>

I agree to me half of the idea of going water cooled is to use a motor that's stock and 150 to 200 HP and not have to build anything, blow it up and go to the salvage yard and bang, 150hp to 200hp for 300 bucks, I paid 25$ for my 2.2 ecotech.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:10 pm 

Mike you have been giving me advise since the first time I talked to you and its always worked out, thanks buddy!!! I got your back

Maybe except for that return fuel line lol

Joking

Also for the record my buggy was built for a ac motor and works perfect with a Eco, every buggy is different

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:12 pm 

Darrel I don't think you made a wrong choice, hope it works for you!!! Remember no more carbs to tune!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:17 pm 

you aint seen a hill til you been to the woods with us in the mountains of ky.

You'Ns got hills in ky?????? Lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:18 pm 
WB Contributor

shoot ive rode with darel and been around his buggy for last few years...i know it will be badass with the eco on it. and if its not 100% right out of the gate, i know it wont be long before it is....and we know all how to pack a cooler for weight bias!
and mike,that was awesome. your new best friend i can do without

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:20 pm 
WB Contributor

NRIbuggys wrote:
you aint seen a hill til you been to the woods with us in the mountains of ky.

You'Ns got hills in ky?????? Lol

a couple but theyre real purdy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:49 pm 

I am gonna make it work ....anyone who knows me will tell ya i won't stop on till i do ...I CAN,T WAIT TO POST A FEW VIDEO'S OF MY BUGGY NOT WORKING . :wink: ...Thanks for all the support people

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:56 pm 

MadMike wrote:
Yeah, your right Rock, so let's do a quick review.
In his very first post he said, and no it wasn't Hi, my name is Rick the dick and I live under a rock somewhere between lost and found. No it was;

"if you go with the Ecotec your going to have to change your rear suspension this big pig will add 200lbs to the rear of your car -- so it wont steer worth a shit-! If I was you I would look at the 2.0 cross flow VW rabbit motor--
I tried the Ecotec last year and didn't like it, the balance of the car went by by---"

This is when my BS detector went off. Adds 200lb BS THEN later he adds "I cant remember the exact number but the 2.0 is about 20 pounds heaver than an air cooled in full dress-- "AGAIN BS

My reply was, and I'm paraphrasing here, your going to disagreed with, I suggested maybe his set up was to blame, asked a few questions and then I related my experience with my Subaru. There was no disrespect, no anger nothing contentious at all.

His reply (post #2)was "no your right I dont have a clue----"
attached was a couple of pictures, I guess to prove he knows what he's talking about.
He went on to say "one big problem you should address is the oil pan the ecotec only holds 3.5 qts you will need to open up the oil pan-- I make one that works great if you need one--"

Anyone having an issue with their oil supply? Anyone? ................... (crickets)

Also he mentioned "I have built 4 of the Ecotec's for guys racing-- I have the right computer that works great too---" You'll read later that evidently he doesn't.

Now I'm thinking if they raced LOORRS, they probably had a much better season than Rick the dick did, seeing his first race was a DNF and he was, if I recall correctly the 29 over all looser, so sad.

In his next post(#3) he regaled us on exactly where he was a looser and how, being a real fast wrecker he is.
He continues, only to contradict himself by saying "my experience with the Ecotec was good --I just remember how much better the Rabbit was"

So which is it Rick the dick? Tried it and didn't like it OR was it a "good" experience, Just wondering.
Then it was "owe ya my car has down force --- hmmmm?" Down force?? With that and $1.82 you can go the corner Mom and Pop shop and get a cup of coffee. Down force here is whether or not to put an extra case of beer in the cooler, but I digressed.

In post #4 he attempted to answer a question with.............
"I try to keep the axles as strait as I can at ride hight so it doesn't rob HP --
moving the motor back will change the balance of the car-"

Well thanks for the information Capt. Obvious. ANYONE who knows ANYTHING about a woodsbuggy knows that ride height is everything, keeping your axles straight aint going to work in our world.

My reply to him was an attempt to show a difference between race cars and woodsbuggys, in which I thought I was quit polite in the way I handled it.

This was the reply
"wrong again Mr wrong again----
I started running the woods of Ocala Fl and Georgia back in the 80's and then the deserts of California and then the woods of North Carolina that's how I got good at racing--
This car was first built to run the woods it just happens that the guy that builds these Knows his ship! and the car works great on the track too--
OWE SNAP WRONG AGAIN------ :shock: but you have thick skin right?
so what kind of sauce do you like? BBQ A1 ?

Rick the dick, there is a profound difference between racing and wrecking, just thought I would point that out to ya.

Anyone else like to point out where I'm Mr. wrong again, wrong again?? And crow, what does it taste like, Rick the dick, chicken? And I'll bet you'll enjoy some A-29 sauce. And for desert I'll be serving a giant slice of humble pie, dig in douche nozzle.

And if all of this isn't enough he proves, how did you put it, Dick, oh yeah,
"its better to be stupid and say nothing-- than to open your mouth and prove it."
with this little gem "The Ecotec is a great motor but its heavy and runs out of breath at 5500---"

And before I forget he tries to convince us that a closed tread pattern tire is the cats ass for the woods when we spent hours and hours discussing the differences between 23 deg Firestones and TSL Boggers

Maybe a second helping of crow and pie is in order.

SO, exactly how far off was I when I said "doesn't have a clue"? Me thinks I was right on target.

LOL..... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:01 pm 

Darrell wanted me to post here. He is picking up his 2.4 VVT Ecotec STAGE 4 package tomorrow morning.

I just got off the dyno with the AFI/Budweiser Racing Class 5 car.

dyno_1 by ALPHA FAB, on Flickr

Sorry for the crappy video, working on getting the good ones uploaded.

https://flic.kr/p/ojmVdT

193 RWHP, 171 FT LBS, 4th gear pull, 35" BFG's, 89 PUMP GAS

As for the Ecotec adding 200 lbs to the rear of a car? It weighs 278 lbs WET. Which is about 30-40 lbs. heavier than a 2332 VW. Our 2.4 VVT Ecotec's BOUNCE of the Rev Limiter at 7100 RPM, and make power to redline. If you're not making power to redline then you calibration and/or tuning isn't/wasn't based off of a dyno. IE; it was probably just unlocked. I have 3 or 4 short course cars running around with AFI 2.4.s

1) Feldman Racing [CORR, YORR]
2) STU Racing [Ontario Off-Road Racing]
3) Budwesier Racing, CLASS 5 BAJA 500/1000 MINT
4) Haenlein Racing [MORR]

The latter, Haenlein Racing just dumped his 2.0 VW because he was getting smoked by Ecotec's. I believe he will be at Black River next weekend. Preliminary test results are excellent.

In regards to the disucssion on the 2.0 vs. 2.4. The 2.0's are much more involved, can be more expensive, and overall cause more headaches in a stand-alone environment. Go with a 2.4 and either ADD a Supercharger or Turbo. It will be cheaper in the long run, when done properly.

-AFI

Specializing in EFI systems engineering, design and tuning for the GM Ecotec Platform.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:16 pm 

Those numbers are hard to argue with..Or maybe the mention of BUDWEISER that got my attention 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:47 pm 

Rick wrote:
Those numbers are hard to argue with..Or maybe the mention of BUDWEISER that got my attention 8)

LOL =)

Specializing in EFI systems engineering, design and tuning for the GM Ecotec Platform.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:48 pm 

Those numbers are good but how much money will it take for a Trans that will stay together?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:49 pm 

Depends on driving style

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:45 pm 

And how many of those sponsered budweisers you had!!!!!:P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:06 pm 

My driving style is beat it and it should stay together. I tried a stroker Vw and every part of the drive line failed. I went back to a 1641 and 3 rib and beat it and nothing breaks. Of coarse, power is nice but blown motors and trannys are not.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:39 pm 

As long as you learn to lift when the buggy is in the air and decent suspension travel. A 6 rib with a weddle 1st,2nd gear, super diff, and torsional input shaft should hold up fine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:52 pm 

I sure hope so!!!!!:oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines