It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:23 pm 

A few pics of the Trans

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:29 pm 

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:30 pm 

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:37 pm 

Mike not disagreeing. But my trans is setting flush against my torsion and I still run 5x5 arms. Granted I run micro stubs. Which equals longer axles. I have mine eet at 26* at full droop and haven't broke 1 yet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:02 pm 
Master fabricator

speedfun wrote:
no your right I dont have a clue----

Who said that, I didn't? I questioned your set up is all. Lots of reasons for it not to work. And 200lbs added over the weight of a A/C, can't see that. Tell me, how much weight did a W/C VW add? 199Lbs?
Nice looking race car you have there, I have one to, so I'm not easily impressed. Welcome to the site, looks like you'll fit in just fine. And please, no thin skin.
Sorry for the Hi jack Darrel

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:07 pm 

Ok I have a ?.....
So you take a AC motor off your buggy.. Then put on a water cooled and it wheelies everywhere.
I see where longer arms would help, but moving the motor n trans back also would be useless I would think. Not changing that much balance by doing that just making the wheel base 2/3inches longer?

Not calling anyone wrong or right just thinking out loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:41 pm 

OhYour right matt ,as far as balance is concerned its the axle line compared to where the motor is or weight actually is. I go by % . I ran the same setup as I did on my ss vw buggy and its to heavy in the rear and I had figured it would be, but I had to have something to compare to. I made alot of changes and transfered 3% up front, il let you know in a couple weeks if it was enough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:32 pm 

speedfun wrote:
if you go with the Ecotec your going to have to change your rear suspension this big pig will add 200lbs to the rear of your car -- so it wont steer worth a shit-! If I was you I would look at the 2.0 cross flow VW rabbit motor--
I tried the Ecotec last year and didn't like it, the balance of the car went by by---

The 2013 Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series points standing lists a Rick Welch.............

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:25 pm 

Bubbalowe wrote:
speedfun wrote:
if you go with the Ecotec your going to have to change your rear suspension this big pig will add 200lbs to the rear of your car -- so it wont steer worth a shit-! If I was you I would look at the 2.0 cross flow VW rabbit motor--
I tried the Ecotec last year and didn't like it, the balance of the car went by by---

The 2013 Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series points standing lists a Rick Welch.............

yep did 1 LOORRS and 2 Robby Gordon stadium races last year-- didnt have a great year-- but was always fast till I crashed--lol
I will Probably do Crandon Labor day and the last 2 LOORRS this year.
----------------------------------------------------------------
back to the EcoTec
my experience with the Ecotec was good --I just remember how much better the Rabbit was--- and with some new technology the 2.0 VW for a play buggy would be the way to go for the price --- the wider power band makes a big difference.IMO

owe ya my car has down force --- hmmmm?

Attachments:
548296_305962856137015_650558300_n.jpg
548296_305962856137015_650558300_n.jpg [ 83.62 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]
548296_305962849470349_978145084_n.jpg
548296_305962849470349_978145084_n.jpg [ 93.12 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]
548296_305962846137016_207767293_n.jpg
548296_305962846137016_207767293_n.jpg [ 88.33 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:33 pm 

NRIbuggys wrote:
Ok I have a ?.....
So you take a AC motor off your buggy.. Then put on a water cooled and it wheelies everywhere.
I see where longer arms would help, but moving the motor n trans back also would be useless I would think. Not changing that much balance by doing that just making the wheel base 2/3inches longer?

Not calling anyone wrong or right just thinking out loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------------------------------------------------------------
I try to keep the axles as strait as I can at ride hight so it doesn't rob HP --
moving the motor back will change the balance of the car- not sure what kind of a car you have? do you have a picture?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm 
Master fabricator

See THAT"S where your messed up. This is woodsbuggy, not racebuggy, he'll be here in a bit :wink: . What we do for the woods is a completely different universe than what is done on the flat track, stadium or Baja. As nice as your car might be, it would last maybe a half day where we ride. I'm not taking anything away from you or anything but you aint ready for what we do. Do yourself a favor and look through some of the videos we have and then ask yourself how do they compare.

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:21 pm 

MadMike wrote:
See THAT"S where your messed up. This is woodsbuggy, not racebuggy, he'll be here in a bit :wink: . What we do for the woods is a completely different universe than what is done on the flat track, stadium or Baja. As nice as your car might be, it would last maybe a half day where we ride. I'm not taking anything away from you or anything but you aint ready for what we do. Do yourself a favor and look through some of the videos we have and then ask yourself how do they compare.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

wrong again Mr wrong again----
I started running the woods of Ocala Fl and Georgia back in the 80's and then the deserts of California and then the woods of North Carolina that's how I got good at racing--
This car was first built to run the woods it just happens that the guy that builds these Knows his ship! and the car works great on the track too--
OWE SNAP WRONG AGAIN------ :shock: but you have thick skin right?
so what kind of sauce do you like? BBQ A1 ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:00 pm 

darrell wrote:
bige70chevy wrote:
so darrell what w/c set up did you decide on?

The 2.4 stage -4 kit 200plus hp 200 plus foot pounds of tq that's plenty for me with trail riding and a little hill climbing should be a good set up ....with a 311 first gear trans still should have real good wheel speed ...that's what i am hoping anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
who did you get your Ecotec from? Turn Key?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm 
Master fabricator

Well excuse me, I still don't think you have a clue, but like you said, what do I know. Snap this.

G
A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:18 am 
WB Contributor

Are you friends with red barron? :idea:eric johnson,hes a member on here from down the florida way.
Speedfun?
Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:22 am 

[quote="diamonddav"]Are you friends with red barron? :idea:eric johnson,hes a member on here from down the florida way. Speedfun?
no that name doesn't ring a bell-----

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:32 am 

MadMike wrote:
Well excuse me, I still don't think you have a clue, but like you said, what do I know. Snap this.

all the same cars as my red one-- ya woods buggy's Snappy-
have you driven a car with a Ecotec that had a air cooled in it? probably not. have you driven a car with a VW rabbit motor? probably not.
but you talk like you know it all---
its better to be stupid and say nothing-- than to open your mouth and prove it.
remember what you told me? dont have thin skin on this forum
Mr I love to eat Crow --- every time you open your mouth--

all in good fun Snappy all In good fun-----

Attachments:
blue and yellow.JPG
blue and yellow.JPG [ 180.35 KiB | Viewed 9074 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:31 am 

All this started over the eco verses the 2.0 wc vw, do you have some numbers on this motor like the difference in weight compared to the eco and some stock hp and torque numbers ,what mods will increase the numbers to ,easy access to parts? They built alot of ecos but this is the first time I've heard of this motor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:40 pm 

helmetguy wrote:
All this started over the eco verses the 2.0 wc vw, do you have some numbers on this motor like the difference in weight compared to the eco and some stock hp and torque numbers ,what mods will increase the numbers to ,easy access to parts? They built alot of ecos but this is the first time I've heard of this motor.

--------------------------------------------------------------
this is not a new motor -- the water cooled rabbit has been around for decades and I guess you can say it was the first watercooled motor to replace the AC motor-- I cant remember the exact number but the 2.0 is about 20 pounds heaver than an air cooled in full dress--
I can tell that when we put the stock 2.0 vw mock up in my car I had to back the springs all the way up and stand on the back bumper (210 lbs) and my car was still 3/4 of of inch of of ride height--
The Ecotec is a great motor but its heavy and runs out of breath at 5500---
It will change the entire dynamics of your car. unless you build a car for use with the ecotec and ballance it accordingly....
but for the price and performance the VW 2.0 rabbit is still the way to go for booting around the woods IMO and this motor can be bored to come out to 2.8L (I think)keep that in mind too---
keep in mind that if you win on Sunday with a blue tee shirt next weekend everyone has a blue tee shirt---
I make some super cool light weight tires for the woods too-
they Banned them from LOORRS but these work unreal!

Attachments:
Hoosier Tire 1.jpg
Hoosier Tire 1.jpg [ 51.52 KiB | Viewed 9036 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:25 pm 

Techtonics Tuning has been around for many years in fact some of you air cooled guys may remember a drag bug called the EMPI INCH PINCHER built by a the same owner of Techtonics Darrel Vitone...
these guys have the good stuff .if you call talk to Collen he is the inline 4cyl VW "GOD"
http://www.techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php

Attachments:
inchpinchertoo.jpg
inchpinchertoo.jpg [ 196.57 KiB | Viewed 9022 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:30 pm 

Well I cant knock your engine because ive never seen one run. It might be fine for the short courses or "booting around the woods" but I question if it has enough ass for what we do. The only hp number I could find was about 120 hp but correct me if im wrong. As you can tell our tires are a lil different to get the job done! Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:25 pm 

the 2.0 with a good exhaust and Intake manifold & cam will put out around 190 HP
I tried to get LOORRS to allow the 2.0 with stock lower end and have at the head because it will run with the Ecotec but it got shot down ----
by our rules I have to run a 1715cc and a single 2 barrel webber and up to 42mm ventures --
mine is dry sumped and titanium rods and valves and around 15-1 comp will out run the 2.4 Ecotec

Ya those tires work great for sure -! I use to run some like that but narrower and they kick ass----

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:36 pm 

Ecotecs are still making power at 7000 have dyno sheets to prove. If you are loosing at 5500 you have the wrong person tuning. The only reason we stopped at 7000 is valve springs. I cant run mine past 5000 rpm's because I loose traction. And everything I've heard are those inline vw's are a thing of the past.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:01 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

MadMike I sure wish you knew something :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:48 pm 
Master fabricator

Yeah, your right Rock, so let's do a quick review.
In his very first post he said, and no it wasn't Hi, my name is Rick the dick and I live under a rock somewhere between lost and found. No it was;

"if you go with the Ecotec your going to have to change your rear suspension this big pig will add 200lbs to the rear of your car -- so it wont steer worth a shit-! If I was you I would look at the 2.0 cross flow VW rabbit motor--
I tried the Ecotec last year and didn't like it, the balance of the car went by by---"

This is when my BS detector went off. Adds 200lb BS THEN later he adds "I cant remember the exact number but the 2.0 is about 20 pounds heaver than an air cooled in full dress-- "AGAIN BS

My reply was, and I'm paraphrasing here, your going to disagreed with, I suggested maybe his set up was to blame, asked a few questions and then I related my experience with my Subaru. There was no disrespect, no anger nothing contentious at all.

His reply (post #2)was "no your right I dont have a clue----"
attached was a couple of pictures, I guess to prove he knows what he's talking about.
He went on to say "one big problem you should address is the oil pan the ecotec only holds 3.5 qts you will need to open up the oil pan-- I make one that works great if you need one--"

Anyone having an issue with their oil supply? Anyone? ................... (crickets)

Also he mentioned "I have built 4 of the Ecotec's for guys racing-- I have the right computer that works great too---" You'll read later that evidently he doesn't.

Now I'm thinking if they raced LOORRS, they probably had a much better season than Rick the dick did, seeing his first race was a DNF and he was, if I recall correctly the 29 over all looser, so sad.

In his next post(#3) he regaled us on exactly where he was a looser and how, being a real fast wrecker he is.
He continues, only to contradict himself by saying "my experience with the Ecotec was good --I just remember how much better the Rabbit was"

So which is it Rick the dick? Tried it and didn't like it OR was it a "good" experience, Just wondering.
Then it was "owe ya my car has down force --- hmmmm?" Down force?? With that and $1.82 you can go the corner Mom and Pop shop and get a cup of coffee. Down force here is whether or not to put an extra case of beer in the cooler, but I digressed.

In post #4 he attempted to answer a question with.............
"I try to keep the axles as strait as I can at ride hight so it doesn't rob HP --
moving the motor back will change the balance of the car-"

Well thanks for the information Capt. Obvious. ANYONE who knows ANYTHING about a woodsbuggy knows that ride height is everything, keeping your axles straight aint going to work in our world.

My reply to him was an attempt to show a difference between race cars and woodsbuggys, in which I thought I was quit polite in the way I handled it.

This was the reply
"wrong again Mr wrong again----
I started running the woods of Ocala Fl and Georgia back in the 80's and then the deserts of California and then the woods of North Carolina that's how I got good at racing--
This car was first built to run the woods it just happens that the guy that builds these Knows his ship! and the car works great on the track too--
OWE SNAP WRONG AGAIN------ :shock: but you have thick skin right?
so what kind of sauce do you like? BBQ A1 ?

Rick the dick, there is a profound difference between racing and wrecking, just thought I would point that out to ya.

Anyone else like to point out where I'm Mr. wrong again, wrong again?? And crow, what does it taste like, Rick the dick, chicken? And I'll bet you'll enjoy some A-29 sauce. And for desert I'll be serving a giant slice of humble pie, dig in douche nozzle.

And if all of this isn't enough he proves, how did you put it, Dick, oh yeah,
"its better to be stupid and say nothing-- than to open your mouth and prove it."
with this little gem "The Ecotec is a great motor but its heavy and runs out of breath at 5500---"

And before I forget he tries to convince us that a closed tread pattern tire is the cats ass for the woods when we spent hours and hours discussing the differences between 23 deg Firestones and TSL Boggers

Maybe a second helping of crow and pie is in order.

SO, exactly how far off was I when I said "doesn't have a clue"? Me thinks I was right on target.

G
A

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines