It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:14 pm 

My neighbor has a bug with a 1.8 rabbit engine and he wants to swap it for my 1.6 dp a/c engine. We will swap everything from motor to tranny. Currently both machines are running and both got bug transmissions. While at it, I want to mate the Rabbit engine to a 3 rib tranny. Besides getting the automatic transmission starter and bug to bus conversion kit, will the water cooled flywheel, pressure plate, clutch and plate fit fine in my rail or do I need to make modifications? I have Things end stubs, Bug CVs and 15 7/8" axle (I am not sure if the length is as stated) and I will be using stock trailing arms unless I can get my hands on a 3x2 or 3x3 trailing arms with the correct length axles.

Lastly, would you do this conversion for the extra power and reliability?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:42 pm 
WB Contributor

Echo-Tech just can't beat it for the money. You will save a little on the electronics but every thing else you will need are required for both swaps. I do not know if the 1.8 will mate to the three rib stock bell. If it doesn't passat 2800 has the bell housing you need. just search this site, heck it may still be in his kitchen sink. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:46 pm 
WB Contributor

I have 3 bell housings that fit diesel rabbit to bus trans. If you pay the shipping I will sell them for $25 each.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:48 pm 
WB Contributor

Red Barron wrote:
Echo-Tech just can't beat it for the money. You will save a little on the electronics but every thing else you will need are required for both swaps. I do not know if the 1.8 will mate to the three rib stock bell. If it doesn't passat 2800 has the bell housing you need. just search this site, heck it may still be in his kitchen sink. :mrgreen:

lol!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:42 pm 

Hey dd Aruba 1 is from Birmingham I think he might be able to drive to Leeds to pick it up. But than again maybe it would be cheap to ship it 20 miles away

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App iPhone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:47 am 

Yeah, I will be contacting you Passat. I would like to go with the Ecotec motor but the Rabbit gasser won't cost me but $25, and gas money :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:56 pm 

Rabbit engine resting in the garage next to his future mate, the 3 rib transmission. This weekend I plan to remove all the different parts off the block, paint it either black or silver and paint the head cover and front cover yellow to match the 4 seater.

If anyone has a set of headers or any performance parts for the motor please let me know, I will be interested in them.

Attachments:
rabbit3.jpg
rabbit3.jpg [ 209.1 KiB | Viewed 5941 times ]
rabbit2.jpg
rabbit2.jpg [ 191.64 KiB | Viewed 5941 times ]
rabbit1.jpg
rabbit1.jpg [ 145.17 KiB | Viewed 5941 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:21 am 

This may be something that I'll try lol

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:50 am 

Look on utube, I think they are Brazilian, but if u search under tube buggy and the like you will eventually find them, most of them run what looks like rabbit/jetta motors. They do some nasty river crossings and some deep goopy mud stuff. I would love to go ride with them, that is after I explore outside of the coal hills I'm in.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:21 pm 

2800passat wrote:
I have 3 bell housings that fit diesel rabbit to bus trans. If you pay the shipping I will sell them for $25 each.

How can I get in touch with you? Would like to get one or two of the bell housing!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:13 am 

The small 1.5L rabbit engine grew to a 1.8T (1999) engine. I did a search on this forum and on google and I could not find anyone using a Passat motor/engine in a mid mount setup. If you know of a thread, can you point me in the right direction? Automatics only has there place as daily commuter driving but I bought a wrecked automatic Passat that I am contemplating using the complete setup in my 2 seater. This will be interesting winter. Pics to follow sometime this week.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines