It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VW New Beetle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:26 pm 
WB Contributor

Click "next" if you don't care what I have to say or you have to go along with someone else's way of thinking. I just came from Pull a Part and they have 5 New Beetles down there with 2.0 F.I. 115 hp autos and manuals. They are so tiny and have an aluminum head. Perfect for my 4 seater. It will sit where the rear seat was and I'll keep my 3x3's just where they are. This Fall I will get a recently wrecked one. Tank , battery, and radiator will replace where the air/cooled was located. I understand most of you can't reply back unless you get the king's nod. PM's are best.

Post subject: Re: VW New Beetle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I've looked at them also and thought by god if I'm going to try a w/c then at least it would be a vw bug,lol. How about some videos of the passat buggy in action and some more pics of it. You keep preaching it so show us what were missing. With all the cell phones and cameras that are out there,there is no excuse for not posting it in action. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:58 pm 
WB Contributor

every new beetle I have drove has NO torque but it your multiplying the torque through a diff or chaindrive it should be ok.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:15 pm 
WB Contributor

gasman wrote:
I've looked at them also and thought by god if I'm going to try a w/c then at least it would be a vw bug,lol. How about some videos of the passat buggy in action and some more pics of it. You keep preaching it so show us what were missing. With all the cell phones and cameras that are out there,there is no excuse for not posting it in action. Chad :mrgreen:

Hey Gas man thanks for the response. About 5 weeks ago my wife was below the weeds trying to get a good vid and dumb ol me inched over a few feet and ran over her big time with the camera in her hand. It is too ugly to see. Her arm is crushed and has 6 pins in it. Found an awesome flick at a competition we will try to post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:23 pm 
WB Contributor

hpfreak wrote:
every new beetle I have drove has NO torque but it your multiplying the torque through a diff or chaindrive it should be ok.

You said it right HP. The motor itself has torque to turn the HIGH gears for fuel savings. Read up on this motor because I need to myself. but the well hated Passat has a 90 stroke, I think x 82 bore, but it has six cyls. I'm guessing the 2.0 just has 2 less cyls. Readup on the 2001+ 5 cyl 2.5 170 hp Jetta/ Passat. They all love 87 oct.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:13 am 

What is the average price for this motor? An L61 Ecotec makes a rated 148 HP and sells for around $475.00 (actually a whole car scrap price ) which works out to about $3.20 per every HP. I'm thinking the Cobalt is going to take the Beetles lunch money.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:50 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

hpfreak wrote:

LOL... You just admitted to driving a new Beetle.. :oops: :shock: :lol: :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:58 am 
WB Contributor

Bubbalowe wrote:
What is the average price for this motor? An L61 Ecotec makes a rated 148 HP and sells for around $475.00 (actually a whole car scrap price ) which works out to about $3.20 per every HP. I'm thinking the Cobalt is going to take the Beetles lunch money.

Good point. I just can't get vw's out of my head.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:14 pm 

Brand loyalty is what keeps companies like Harley Davidson, etc. in business. I just can't find much air cooled VW DNA in the new Beetle.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:31 pm 
WB Contributor

MickeyMouse wrote:
hpfreak wrote:

LOL... You just admitted to driving a new Beetle.. :oops: :shock: :lol: :shock: :oops:
yes and I made them put fresh flowers in the vase:shock: being a technician I have to drive alot of cars I'd rather not. Worst one yet is a smart car.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines