It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:16 pm 

Couple questions...... Whats the HP of a stock ecotech? Is it strong enough to push a 6 rib trans? My buggy is warrior frame with stock 1600 DP and a 3 rib. 31x15.50x15 tires. I love the gearing the way it is just need more power. I was going to build a 1915 but its going to be much cheaper to swap in a WC. I have a 2001 Pontiac doner. The 3 rib is geared perfect for where I ride I just don't have the power rite now to climb in second gear and first revs out. So if I put a stock ecotech in will my 3 rib hold up? I have a super diff in it now. Just need some opinions. My budget is pretty big but the more I can save the better. Thanks guys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:28 pm 
Master fabricator

The Ecotech will kill a 3 rib fast and in a hurry, don't care if it has 2 super diffs. A stock 6 rib can easily be broken with the Ecotech. What money you will save by not building a VW motor will be spent building a transmission to hold up to the newer bigger motor. Having said that, junk the VW and learn how to fly with an Ecotech, or Subaru, or a *$#^%$# Passout.

G
A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:43 pm 

That's what I had and went to a 2.2 ecotec and stock 6rib. Love it been running it for 3 years now. I do run tsl so I spin a lot.

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:19 pm 

Any engine recommendations? With the 6 rib will I be able to climb in second gear or will I be winding the piss out of first? I love to run my toys hard but also try to respect them a little by not beating them unless needed :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:33 pm 
Master fabricator

Ripinitup wrote:
Any engine recommendations? With the 6 rib will I be able to climb in second gear or will I be winding the piss out of first? I love to run my toys hard but also try to respect them a little by not beating them unless needed

Your on the right track, the Ecotech is a great choice. Keep to the 31x15.50x15 size tires, at the least put a super diff in the 6 rib, maybe a 4.86 R&P and keep a strong connection between your brain and your right foot. :wink:
Then have fun earning your wings.

G
A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 pm 
WB Contributor

MadMike wrote:
The Ecotech will kill a 3 rib fast and in a hurry, don't care if it has 2 super diffs. A stock 6 rib can easily be broken with the Ecotech. What money you will save by not building a VW motor will be spent building a transmission to hold up to the newer bigger motor. Having said that, junk the VW and learn how to fly with an Ecotech, or Subaru, or a *$#^%$# Passout.

Hey.. but you can not build any cheaper than the Passout. lol A 4 cyl fwd Ecotec motor and auto trans could be considered...Weld the diff and get an irs diff and yer dune.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:03 pm 
WB Contributor

coming from a a/c guy, you better do all your research :shock: price the adapter plate and flywheel and other things as a good strong tranny before you jump the gun. ive been saving up parts to build another buggy, and have seriously been considering w/c :shock: only because im gonna go all brand new with everything down to nuts and bolts. so an a/c motor at 2332(only because of block clearancing) with all new everything the way i would do it is at least 5k. so my thought is i can build the baddest buggy, a roller, for the 5k it would cost to build the motor and then smack an ecotech on it- im guessing at about 1500 or so, bye the time you buy all your lines and fittings and radiator , fans ,blah ,blah.. now i talk a little shit to the w/c guys cause thats what we do :wink: i dont care if your on a vespa in the woods, i'll pull you out and look out for ya.but ive seen whole turn key 1915s for as little as 1500 even on this site. crunch the numbers all together before you pull the trigger. or you'll be on trial like george zimmerman :lol: NOT GUILTY :D :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:07 pm 

i have a 2.2 subaru and a 6 rib definatley first gear enless u have run but i can just put up over the hills with that motor with no effort at all its 130hp and with my throrrle wide open at foot motor is opened up 3/4 throttle just to make sure not to over work motor i havent lost any power or need more in mine i had the same set up in a warrior shortback frame if u havent extened it consider it alot of motor for the wheelbase IMO the setup cost is about the same depending on the deals you get on eveything you buy its the littles that add up

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:16 pm 

for my setup the subaru i got motor and harness $300 adapter $500 rad $100 fans and lines $150 fuel pump $100 upgrade pressure plate $110 hydralic pedals to stand up to pressure plate $300 6 rib tranny $600 cutting wiring harness up ? and cuting oil pan priceless. it adds up but if i vw scats lots of $ to redue it all over w/c scats $300 to replace and ride again

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:23 pm 
WB Contributor

I built the Passat buggy for $5k trailer and all. Fan rad trans everything came out of a wrecked doner car. No adapter plate or harness or mods needed. You may want to splurge and get new anti freeze spark plugs and oil. You'll get 2-$300 on the scale at the scrap yard for the doner car body..I have a yard full of great a/c and w/c buggies. Put the right tire grip on all of them and they all work well. Imagine how more extinct 6 ribs will be in the future and when this happens some will HAVE to eat out of weedles hands. But I'll stop here.

Last edited by 2800passat on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:29 pm 
WB Contributor

hmmm..... wheres red barron when we need him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lets take this to trial :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: man i crack myself up! see you all at d&k :twisted: better bring some extra anti -freeze :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:43 pm 
Master fabricator

If you want to build a VW that runs the same as a ecotech, be prepared to spend somewhere around $4,000.
Even if this guy spends $3,999 on a water cooled set up, it's money well spent. You blow up that $4,000 VW motor guess what, it's gonna cost another, depending on how blown up it is, another$2,000. Blow up that ecotech, less than a grand and your back at it.
Hell, even that tard Rachel Jeantel understands that. :lol:

G
A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:24 pm 

So can the trans out of a cavi be used in a buggy? I thought it would spin the wrong way without a reverse cut R&P. I have the entire donner car and it runs and drives great. Its a 2000 pontiac sunfire with a 2.2 and auto trans. Dont care for the auto trans but might consider it if it will work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:45 pm 

One other question. I am running a stage 2 clutch and pressure plate now in my 3 rib. Will I be able to use it in the 6 rib with the fly wheel that comes in the kennedy kit?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:47 am 

Ripinitup wrote:
Couple questions...... Whats the HP of a stock ecotech? Is it strong enough to push a 6 rib trans? My buggy is warrior frame with stock 1600 DP and a 3 rib. 31x15.50x15 tires. I love the gearing the way it is just need more power. I was going to build a 1915 but its going to be much cheaper to swap in a WC. I have a 2001 Pontiac doner. The 3 rib is geared perfect for where I ride I just don't have the power rite now to climb in second gear and first revs out. So if I put a stock ecotech in will my 3 rib hold up? I have a super diff in it now. Just need some opinions. My budget is pretty big but the more I can save the better. Thanks guys

2002 ecotec is 140 hp and 150 lb ft of tourqe. plenty strong enough to push your buggy around. i have this same motor with a 6 rib in a heavy buggy and I LOVE IT! you will be climbing in first gear with a 6 rib but it is fine and the ecotec redline is 6500 rpm. A tuner shop with a dyno can probably tune you up another 20 horse or so. i use a kenedy stage 2 clutch and it has been fine so far and you can use it with flywheel in kit. I would recomend replacing timing chain and tensioner with new ones if not already done. these early ecotecs have an updated tensioner and had chain stretch problems so take care of it now and worry no more. mine had 100,000 on it when i put it in. i replaced chain and tensioner and have done NOTHING to it since. i beat the shit out of it in the woods and drive it regularly on the street.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:41 am 
WB Contributor

diamonddav wrote:
hmmm..... wheres red barron when we need him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: lets take this to trial :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: man i crack myself up! see you all at d&k :twisted: better bring some extra anti -freeze :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Huh, sorry Dave been off the site for a little while. Besides all you have to do is search water cooled on the site and you will have my opinion. Just make sure your car has a hinge in the middle if it is over 104" wheel base :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:51 am 

Just look at it as like a retirement home, if your old an jus up for cruising sure the w/c ecotech is the way to go, but if ur more into climbing an rippin striker vw would be the only way to go.. :D :D :D :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:04 am 
WB Contributor

Ripinitup wrote:
So can the trans out of a cavi be used in a buggy? I thought it would spin the wrong way without a reverse cut R&P. I have the entire donner car and it runs and drives great. Its a 2000 pontiac sunfire with a 2.2 and auto trans. Dont care for the auto trans but might consider it if it will work.

the irs diff is rotated upside down so there is no need for reverse cutting and it also helps being upside down because it gives a much better angle of the dangle of the input cv shaft, ( a stock vw bus cv shaft).An automatic would go thru the gears lightning fast and I think an automatic anything would be the ticket. Do all your homework b4 starting any project.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:59 pm 

I do a lot of cruising in my buggy but when I see a hill I don't think twice about trying it. I think the ecotech and a 6 rib is the way to go for me. Im sure ill have some more questions as the build goes on. Like what fuel pressure do they run and things like that. Thanks for all the great info guys its been a big help :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:33 pm 

Does anyone know if the 2.2 out of my sunfire would be a good engine to use? Its a 2000 Pontiac sunfire. I have had the car for 3 years. Runs great and has 140k on it. Car is falling apart around the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:44 pm 

Check out the link in my signature. Its from 2008 and still has the same 3 rib transmission in it. I don't beat on it unless it is in second gear so the ring and pinion sees less torque.

Huey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:56 pm 

Thanks Huey. That is one kick a** buggy. Im going to run my 3 rib as well at first. I think the adapter plate is the same for a 3 rib and a 6 rib

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:15 pm 
WB Contributor

Huey wrote:
Check out the link in my signature. Its from 2008 and still has the same 3 rib transmission in it. I don't beat on it unless it is in second gear so the ring and pinion sees less torque.

Huey

Negative. this site is about sharing experiences right or wrong. But lets not mis lead our brothers. I do not want to sling mud on anyone because we are brothers in this. In the early 2000's I had a 3800 buick and when I would apply that torque in 2nd eventually I would stack the 6 rib side shifts stacked up like cord wood. They would take a beatin for about 13 months. I'm telling yall with my eye balls rolling back in my head. Do not go bone crushing w/c unless you have baby chains or Passat. Another benefit is you will not have a trunk full of dead bodies to make you let off the gas as you reach that straight up finish line. That is why the bad ass a/c kick yo ass. YOU cannot have too much lead behind your tires. Dammat load of cannon balls that tell you to let off the gas .Learned that 13 years ago,the hard way. Today that Buick is narrow Baby Chain and it is ideal. Nobody and everybody will tell you that DD has had his plate full of failures. Please let me pass on my facts and failures.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:37 pm 

Ripinitup wrote:
Does anyone know if the 2.2 out of my sunfire would be a good engine to use? Its a 2000 Pontiac sunfire. I have had the car for 3 years. Runs great and has 140k on it. Car is falling apart around the engine.

2000 sunfire engine is NOT an ecotec. Ecotec was not available untill 2002 or 2003 in sunfires. Your 2000 2.2 liter is the old overhead valve engine which is not a terible engine but is not even close to ecotec in power or available aftermarket parts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:43 pm 

Huey wrote:

Huey

Your putting more stress on your trans not less by beating it in second gear. The idea behind lower gearing (higher numericaly) is to reduce stress and make it easier to move the vechicle. As you move up in gears 2nd,3rd,4th etc you are increasing the effort it takes to move and therefore increasing the stress on components.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines