It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intro/ cable question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:56 am 

Hello all. Ive been lurking for about a year now. Love this site. I built my buggy about 4 years back. It's a Berrien Warrior and I used a 67 beetle with a 1600DP for parts. (Still feel a little guilty for that). I don't know why I did it but I built it for woods driving instead of duning. All my friends go to the dunes but I wanted a tough lookin buggy I guess. Anyways, it's really never been anything fantastic just something I was always proud of making from scratch!
So long story short, despite several attempts to breath new life into the 1600DP it finally gave up the ghost three years ago and the buggy has sat waiting for me to get off my butt and get her running again. I've barely got a chance to have fun with the thing! So I decided I wasn't interested in learning how to rebuild the VW motor but would rather have the reliability of EFI and instant power increase of a modern engine.
I have had good experiences with GM QUAD4's and decided to use that platform. It's not the ideal but they have an tough iron block and good torque with modest HP.
This week I've finally managed to get it mounted in the buggy and I'm starting to work out all the little problems.
One problem I'm thinking about ATM is what throttle cable to run to the TB. Previously I had a nice 7 foot Morse cable which is hardly used, but that won't work because it is a rigid style and I need something with flexible cable and a barrel at the end to wrap around the throttle "wheel"(?). Also I'm prolly more at 6 foot now.
Here's a pic of my setup so far.
I'm wondering what you guys with throttle bodies are running for cables. Morse doesn't seem like it will work and the Lokars I look at don't seem to have quite the right ends on them either.

Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 am 

Welcome! I'm using NOS bulk stainless braided for the sleeve and a universal cable with an eye swaged on one end to the pedal. I believe Nitro Mudder is running one of these motors and would know what type ferrule you need for the throttle body. Is that a home brew?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:13 am 

Yes. Good eye! I wondering if anyone would notice.

By 'bulk stainless braided' what exactly do you mean?

If I have to put something together that's fine just as long as it lasts awhile and doesn't jam up with gunk and dirt. Everything on my buggy is very much exposed to the elements. I did see some rudimentary open sheathes with cable that can be cut to any length and was very affordable. That was the nice thing about the Morse cable though. It had seals and moved very smoothly. But then again, wire cable on my dirt bikes always worked fine as long as I kept them lubed up. ( I like to think out loud btw)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:30 am 
WB Contributor

I had this cable made at Fleet Pride and it is completely custom with the ends and a sheath that you can tie in a knot and it still moves like glass. They do make a short cable that will thread on the end of a Morris cable. Some of my buddies just made a lever to put a steel snap ball for Morris cable.

There is a few options for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:33 am 

It's braided stainless nylon tubing that car guys use for plumbing in their nitrous. It will stay "slippery" because it is nylon and you can make it to whatever length you want. You all grain?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 am 

that's a lot of engine for a swing axle...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:59 pm 

Bubbalowe wrote:
It's braided stainless nylon tubing that car guys use for plumbing in their nitrous. It will stay "slippery" because it is nylon and you can make it to whatever length you want. You all grain?

Ok that's what I thought.

and yes. I got into making my own recipes and was quite good but the last couple years I've been so busy/lazy that an ordinary beer kit is fine. I can't help but add a little something more usually anyway. Knocks my socks off better than any store bought beer will! I assume you brew as well?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:04 pm 

Rick wrote:
that's a lot of engine for a swing axle...

Yes. I have a feeling I will have another project soon after this conversion is done. I'm gonna take it easy on it and see how long it lasts. Bus parts are kinda sparse in my area. According to Kennedy a beetle trans will handle it within reason. I'm thinking it'll end up being a wheelie monster and I won't be easy on it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:34 pm 

I use a Morse cable with a small heim on the end. Then I just find, or drill a hole, into the bellcrank on the edge and through bolt the heim. Most throttle bodies only move about 90 degrees. Both my 2.3 Ford and the 3.5 Honda use this method and it is smooth as butter. I can get a picture this week of what I have.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:36 pm 

By the way, nice homebrew. I've been brewing for a few years now too. I was using a single tier Brutus and last year I built a brew in a bag stand with a hoist. We should start a brewing thread in "other discussion".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:04 pm 

I'm thinking it'll end up being a wheelie monster and I won't be easy on it! :mrgreen:[/quote]

I believe your going to be correct 8) ive also always wanted to try a home brew but just figured i would waste a bunch of money...besides Budweiser has always been loyal to me :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:09 pm 

fortydegnorth wrote:
I use a Morse cable with a small heim on the end. Then I just find, or drill a hole, into the bellcrank on the edge and through bolt the heim. Most throttle bodies only move about 90 degrees. Both my 2.3 Ford and the 3.5 Honda use this method and it is smooth as butter. I can get a picture this week of what I have.

If I can do just that I'd be happy. I'd just have to run my cable wide to take up some length.

A brew thread would be fun. The hobby has really taken off in the last couple years. I've been doing it for about 13 years which isn't as long as most. When I started we had to make or adapt most our equipment to work. Now you can pick up a magazine and buy whatever you need. Ironically, I think that's why I've lost interest a little. On to the next challenge. Like adapting a sunfire wire harness to run on my buggy.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines