It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radiator placement
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:40 pm 

I was tryin to decide where to mount my radiator and gas tank. I like how radiator looks up behind the engine but think it will be more protected down low behind my seats.
My question is do any of you run radiator right behind seats and is the heat off it too much in the summer?

Post subject: Re: Radiator placement
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:11 pm 

How much room do you have to work with and what kind of tank you using my old rail with a subaru 2.2 and spun aluminum gas tank i mounted it between the tank and motor and made a 4 inch dropped bracket so it sat down in some but that was with a honda civic rad it is small and easy for location steve on here is the one who suggested the way i did so thats how i went with it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:28 pm 
Master fabricator

I don't remember Steve complaining about heat from his set up but I do see the possibility of heat being an issue putting the rad directly behind the seats. Behind the motor is, in my opinion is the easiest and the safest place to mount it. The only draw back is it needs a bunch of protection back there.

G
A

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:28 pm 
BOTM Winner

Keep the radiator out of the cockpit, way to hot in the summer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:35 pm 

I have plenty of room to put gas tank or rad behind set.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:40 pm 

I can run it all the way in the back because its mid engine set up. I could build custom tank for the rear. I just had lots of room behind the seat so I would like to use it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:02 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
That's a whole lot of radiator for that engine isn't it ?
Look at Terry fryer buggy build I like how his is mounted behind the seat .
Look into those Honda del sol radiators on eBay for. 100 bucks with the fan . All polished alluminun and cool a Subaru and eco just fine !
Just my opinion :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:06 pm 

I have the original radiator for engine, it's less than half that size. I didnt think it would be big enough in the woods. That radiator in pictures is out of a 1000cc sxs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:23 pm 

Psycho Alpha wrote:
I was tryin to decide where to mount my radiator and gas tank. I like how radiator looks up behind the engine but think it will be more protected down low behind my seats.
My question is do any of you run radiator right behind seats and is the heat off it too much in the summer?

Yes and No :lol: My radiator is 18 inches behind me. I drive mine on the street alot with a windshield in it. With the winshield in it there is defenite heat and does become a little too much when the ambient temp is high. However in the woods without the winshield it is fine. I also have a body on mine. I would think an open car without winshield and get it back as far as possible you should fine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:14 pm 

I've always mounted them right behind the seat. And no complaints on heat. Plus better weight placement for hillclimbing. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:37 pm 

Here is how mine is mounted and it works great. Its been this way for years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:04 pm 

Idt he had heat issues either mine never did and was placed similar to the red buggy above

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:19 pm 
WB Contributor

I have mine directly behind my seats and no heat issues, For the first reason you stated protection. You can also place it behind the fuel tank just make sure no heat blows on the tank as it will boil the fuel :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited by Red Barron on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:26 pm 

Thanks guy for all the ideas and suggestions! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:45 pm 
WB Contributor

I had mine right behind the tank. It was protected and I never felt the heat. Its a cheap ebay rad that fits honda civic and only costs 60 with fan. I cooled my suby with no problems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:32 pm 
WB Contributor

Yall can hate yall can love me, but there are some fatal oh yeahs and ah dammits I have to tell a young buck. Trapped steam that is not bled off by a radiator cap or a bleeder port... listen to me...trapped steam will get hotter and hotter and push your water out of the reservoir bottle and out on to the ground while you are riding and fry your motor fast.Another thing. You pour antifreeze/water down the top radiator hose to get rid of this void of water and you think you got the air out... Negative. A cold closed thermostat will keep the new water from flowing past it down to the maifold and you will have a steam pocket again that will push your water out while riding!!!DO NOT drive your w/c unless your gauge reads a steady 180.I made a bleed port on the very top of my top rad hose. Steam kills a motor. Alum head on a cast iron block is fogiving a few times because the hard block keeps the head straight after cooling, but alum head on alum block play all kinds of warping games and are not so forgiving.My 1st Passat motor was fryed because there was not an old man to tell me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:48 pm 
WB Contributor

Sorry , back to your original question as where to mount it. I've ran front and back of the motor. Mount it any where.You are in an open vehicle. have a fan full time and 1 with a toggle switch for back up.After a hard hill climb my passat may go from 180 to 185 for a few minutes after 6500 rpm. The Buick stays at 180 with 1 fan no matter how I treat it.It's secondary fan has cobb webs in it.Do not have fancy relays and fancy wiring to kick on when necessary.$2 Relays and switches get full of water and destroy motors. With my eyeballs rolling back in my head, WIRE THE FAN DIRECT WHEN THE MOTOR STARTS! Treat the water like it is oil!I burnt a motor up in '09 and since I did my homework I have had nothing but a cooool 180 degree long lasting motors.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 am 
WB Contributor

Sorry.. 1 more thing I've learned. All this cool stuff is MORE things to go wrong. If it reads 180 all day, it is 180 all day. K.I.S.S. the hardest lesson I've ever learned... K.eep I.t S.imple S.tupid! Keep your anti freeze mixed 50/ 50 water antifreeze mixture so it can do its hot and cold function.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 am 

I'm going to try placing mine at the front passenger corner of the engine at chest level, angled(kicked out) towards the side 45 degrees. It's one of those aluminum 2-rows for Civics off ebay. Depending on how it does, I can then add some louvers sticking out the side to catch some more air and bring it in. I have a windshield so mounting it dead center in the back would be out of most the air flow. I like the looks of it pointing directly to the side but without fans running constantly I don't see how it'd work that well.
I can post some pics when I get there if anyone's interested in a look.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:44 am 
WB Contributor

my passat rad is a 2 fan stock (the one that came with the motor) and is wired direct on low speed. It is mounted behind the hot motor and stays at 185 all day no matter how you run it.Trapped air is the culprit. Steam expands and pukes water out of your reservoir and steam does not cool anything!Fan cowling is more important than windstream. Think about it. You are climbing a hill at 5-15mph. big deal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:02 pm 

LOL right. You obviously are very passionate about this topic which I appreciate so I'll pick your brain a bit if you don't mind.
It has been suggested to me to restrict the opening going into the radiator to avoid the steaming you are talking about. What I don't understand is, the radiator isn't going to be set up that much different than stock. I am going to run a 3/4" 'bypass' circuit which emulates the heater core, and the hose going to the radiator will be of similar size as what was on it stock. Only differences is the radiator will be positioned about a foot and a half higher and there will be no reservoir/radiator cap. Instead the cap is on the top of the radiator and an overflow bottle will be employed as usually done on older systems. Why would I need to restrict flow in this situation?

As for placement, I don't have space for the radiator behind the engine or anywhere lower for that matter. Not to mention I don't want to be constantly hosing mud out of it. And my buggy will more than likely see just as much highway running and around town driving as 5mph hill climbing.

Do you think a restriction is necessary in my case? Steaming should only occur when there is air pockets. Another reason I don't understand the fear of steaming. Why wouldn't the system be chock full of coolant if it was bled properly? Especially with a cap being at the highest point?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:07 pm 

Well here is what I went with, It works great. I can't fell the heat and it keeps engine cool, fans don't even kick on that much.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:06 pm 
WB Contributor

nice! is that a fwd with chains on both sides?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:30 pm 

It does have a chain :D and sequential gear box

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines