It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:44 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:28 am 

I think I've come to terms of what engine I plan to replace the 2.3 Ford with. I was going to go Ecotec but I've been researching a ton and really think I want to go 3.5L Honda V6. I know it's way too much power for my transmission but I spend most of my time on the street and I think I can make it last a while. Love the look of the V6 and the torque they produce.

Now the hard part, finding one. I've been watching craigslist some but no real luck. I plan to call some yards this week to see what's out there. Around this area salt is widely used so everything ends up pretty corroded. Anyone know where a 2002-2004 Honda Odyssey or 2003-2004 Pilot engine may be hanging out? Most places say they can ship for $150-200. Keep and eye out and let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:49 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

LOL.. I just traded in my 2005 Honda Odyssey last night. It had 98,000 miles on it. Although, I am guessing you did not want to spend $4500 on the engine. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:28 am 

I'm sure that would have been a good buy for someone with kids but for me $500 would be better. lol. No kids in our future except our mutt that we treat like a kid sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:31 am 
WB Contributor

Someone get a pin for red barrons head its gonna get awfully big after he reads this :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am 

I've already talked to him a couple times. He's helped quite a bit already and I appreciate it. The size, weight and power from the 3.5 is hard to beat for the price. Basically the same price as an ecotec but with 275 hp and equal torque. Weight of the 3.5 with adapter plate, air filter and wiring is 361# according to a good source in Arizona. Not sure how that compares to others, but I saw somewhere that an Ecotec, ready to run, was 301#. Not a huge difference. Headers for the 3.5 are $110 and easy to build an exhaust on. Altered engine wiring from Kraut-n-Rice is $650 with computer supplied by him. I'm going to try it, but I think I may have to flip the intake and possibly alter my cross tube on the frame to fit the water ports better. We shall see soon enough. I just looked on http://www.car-parts.com and found a lot of engines fairly locally. I need to call and see the cost with alternator, wiring, power steering pump etc.

Last edited by fortydegnorth on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:53 am 

I know someone with a import yard I will ask him a price.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:01 pm 

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/3501508316.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:31 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks Forty, I am a proponent of water cooled modern engines due to my affinity for big power and saving money. I wish the economy were better maybe I would be running a built 2500CC AC but I just don't have deep enough pockets anymore. My wife and I both are having a hard time finding gainful employment. I found a job in Atlanta, GA but the offer was just not enough with the increased cost of living and the high cost of just about everything. That is why we love Tennessee, no state income tax and taxes in general are much less.

I might have even gone echo tech if I had know how strong the internals are and I could have gotten a supercharged version. Maybe I will turbo the 3.2 once I get Chuck Jones to rebuild my trans with Weddle internals. But hey I need some income first. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:20 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

RB I know the feeling, got my plans for my Four seat tank. Just need to pay off Debt before I can start.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:14 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

There have been a few Honda buggy builds on here and they look awesome.mike (kybc) has one and it's a bad ass motor! That thing sounds killer and seems like it has a ton of torque and hp.and just about anything Honda is good,almost as good as a vw,lol. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Check this out! Probably one of the nicest Honda buggies you will ever see.
http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opt ... ilit=Honda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:15 pm 
WB Contributor

IF! You run anykind of v6 look in to some baby chains to make your trailing arm a foot longer SO you can stop un- commanded wheelies,have the gear ratio you desire , a little ground hieghth, and extend the life of your trans. I've got a new design that are 6" narrower on each side and very cheap to copy.YOU CANNOT apply all of that Honda v6 power the steeper it gets with nothing but a kennedykit. That's why I built the Passat because the more the weight shifts back, the more grip and power I can apply.I'm just too old and scared to cut tires or bolt tires or even climb anything.Ask yourself... What does Marty run with his 3.something soob.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:40 pm 

I love "trailrider's" build. That is a very nice car for sure. I pm'd him already since he's less than an hour away. Lot's of help and good information out there. Hopefully I get it going soon. I just got a lead on a reworked harness and adapter kit today for a decent price.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:53 pm 

Called some junk yards today and got some prices. We have a really nice, reputable yard about 30 minutes from here. They have a 2004 3.5l, 47,000 miles, with alternator and power steering pump, including core charge for $790.

It's a little higher than some other places but their core charge is only $50, most are $100. It only has 47k miles, huge plus. And it's about 20 miles from here. If all goes well I may jump on this one since it's a 2004. Looks like a couple frame modifications will be needed since the water necks come out the back side. I can flip the intake but I think when I modify the frame I will just make room and keep it facing the drivers area for less dirt and dust. Hopefully I can get this rolling pretty soon. Of course the forecast here is 58 degrees this weekend, making the snow forecast look pretty slim and that cuts back on my budget.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:25 pm 

Try a junk yard called Waynes, in dover Oh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:31 pm 

They all have online inventory now and Wayne's doesn't show any. Plus it's 3.5 hours away from here so it would have to be cheap since it would cost me $150 in diesel to get it. Shipping on these isn't too bad but you don't get to see it first. I think I'll try and stick local since we have a ton of junk yards around.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:25 pm 

Tim2332 wrote:
Try a junk yard called Waynes, in dover Oh.

Wayne Auto doesn't have any imports

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 pm 
WB Contributor

Forty, I found a 3.5 odyssey with 35,000 for 450.00; a 3.5 MDX drive by wire with 56,000 for 850.00. Both are in Florida. I will be going to Florida next week. I can pick it up and get it to knoxville tn if you are interested. I sold my S2000 engine today for enough to build a new 2 seat frame.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 am 

I think I'll stick with the cable throttle on the Odyssey engine. I may need more details on the one for $450. Do you know what year it was? Core charge? Alternator, power steering pump and wiring harness? Don't need the computer. Knoxville isn't bad, 5 hours straight south and the wife and I could use a weekend trip right about now. Let me know the details and I'll research a little more here and make a decision. Thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:25 am 
WB Contributor

Forty, I will get you an update on Wednesday. I am trying to buy an entire 2004 Odyssey that was wrecked from the rear I have a friend at a body shop that has a auction for the total vehicles this vehicle has 60,000 and I have a deal with him, he will pull the engine complete and sell it to me for 600.00 with all accessories and the wiring harness. They have another van the same year with a salvage title clipped in the front corner and he doesn't need the engine just the front sheet metal. So I will know for sure by Thursday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:28 pm 

Sounds good, keep me posted. Don't do anything hasty unless you want the engine for yourself. Lol. I'd need the details before I drive 10 hours to get it. It will cost me some money to come get it so it may be a break even at that point for the one that's 20 minutes away for $790 with all core's and accessories.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:51 pm 
WB Contributor

I have not committed to buy and even if I did at that price I can sell it easily. If you think you are going to use the stock manifolds try to get the y pipe the you can use the flanges to build an exhaust.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:35 pm 

I'm pretty sure I'll either build my own headers or buy some aftermarket. I can get the 3 into 1 chrome headers with the y pipe for $120 shipped. That's hard to pass up for starting an exhaust. Thanks for all the help so far from everyone. I can't wait to get this thing running again. Now all I need is for some more money to come in and it will be rolling again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:47 pm 
WB Contributor

If you are looking at the SS three into one/ Y pipe on ebay I would strongly suggest that you not buy them. They are made of some cheap crap. one of my buddies bought them and has had nothing but issues with the tubing cracking near the welds. If you think you want to fab your own I can have the header flanges laser cut at a machine shop in town. I have a solid works program and auto cadd to draw up any part I want laser cut or milled on a three axis machine.

The guy charges me machine time and materials.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:17 pm 

Likely my plan will use: http://www.lasertabs.com/acura-cltl-32.html

I need to do some more checking but I think the 3.0, 3.2 and 3.5 are basically the same.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines