It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 pm 

Can the stock power steering pump on an Ecotec be used for a ram assist steering setup? Can the pressure side be adapted to AN fittings?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 am 
BOTM Winner

everyone I know with ram assist on ecotec runs another pump. not sure why, I dont see why it wouldnt work

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:59 pm 

Does anyone know if a 2.4 Eco, that came from a car with electric steering, has the provision on the cam to run a stock power steering pump? I'm not sure if you have to change the cam or if you just take a blockoff plate off and bolt a pump on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:28 am 

get a power steering pump, bracket, tensioner, and crank pulley from a pontiac soltice bolts right on to any ecotec and has its own belt 3 bolts hold it on the right side of the engine we have one like this running a charlynn works great

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:20 pm 

fortydegnorth wrote:
Does anyone know if a 2.4 Eco, that came from a car with electric steering, has the provision on the cam to run a stock power steering pump? I'm not sure if you have to change the cam or if you just take a blockoff plate off and bolt a pump on.

My 07 Cobalt motor with the electric motor driven pump does not even have a blanking plate where the Cavaliers had the cam driven pump. In hindsight I should of held out for a Cavalier motor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:39 pm 

buggiejunky wrote:
get a power steering pump, bracket, tensioner, and crank pulley from a pontiac soltice bolts right on to any ecotec and has its own belt 3 bolts hold it on the right side of the engine we have one like this running a charlynn works great

"On the right side of the engine"
Would that be the same side as the alt.?
Norm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:10 pm 

Sandbar Norm wrote:
buggiejunky wrote:

Norm

oppsite side of alt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 pm 

PSC sells a bracket for around a 100 bucks that bolts under the Alt. Then you run a TC pump with a 6.5 in pulley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:46 pm 

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a TC pump? I'd like to run a stock pump. That's only because, if I do this, I plan to do it as cheap as I can for the most part. I need the money from the other engine for bills so the buggy gets whatever is leftover. I guess I could shop for a pump and idler off of some other car and make it fit. Making a bracket isn't a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:57 pm 

Its a GM pump.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 am 

buggiejunky wrote:
Sandbar Norm wrote:
buggiejunky wrote:

Norm

oppsite side of alt

Thanks for the info.
I picked one off e-bay and got the pump, bracket, tensioner, both pulleys, reservior, low pressure line, bolts and belt for $65.00. :D
It's used so I just hope it works.
Norm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:26 am 

65 bucks thats a great deal for how simple it makes it the crank pulley is worth more than that lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:01 pm 

If any of you guys have an ecotec with the cam driven power steering pump, I need a measurement from the bellhousing mounting area on the block to the back of the pump. I need to see how far it sticks out the back basically. I can add the 3/4" for the adapter plate or however thick it is. If you have a measurement from the top of a bus transmission to the bottom of the pump that would be great too. I'm just seeing if I can even fit the pump without modifying the frame. I don't have an engine yet to look at. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines